Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Computer  (Read 4842 times)
KG8JF

Ignore
« on: April 01, 2012, 03:55:19 AM »

Hello to all.  I am really frustrated.  I have just hooked up a new computer.  It is not really new, but a refurbished unit.  I laid the units side by side when I switched the hook-up cables.  Now I am unable to get my 706mkiig to connect to the new computer.  I only have 2 com ports available, com 1 and com 3 and HRD will not connect to either one.  I spent the better part of yesterday troubleshooting.  I have been racking my brain trying to think if there might be a driver issue the is not installed on the new computer.  I can't really thnk of one.

This has really bummed me out as I work PSK31 most of the time.  I am not sure which direction to go in trying to sort this thing out
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 06:09:24 AM »

First thing check baud rate and configuration of comm port and setting in software for it. There is no plug and play with a comm port but is with USB that is replacing it.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 08:49:42 AM »

a) What's the operating system for the old computer?   For the new one?

b)  Do they both have real (physical) COM: ports, or are you using a USB-to-serial adapter?

I ask because many USB-to-serial adapters don't work well with Windows 7.   If you have accidentally "upgraded" to Windows 7, that could be the problem.

But you probably (as previous post says) have a problem with the baud rate /parity/stop bits on one of the serial ports (real or virtual) not matching what the radio expects.

Welcome to "Device Manager" !!!<g>

Charles

KG8JF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 11:09:00 AM »

XP on the old computer, W7 on the new one.  At the moment there is an issue with the OS.  I am not sure they sent the product key for W7 so the OS is operating with some restrictions.  At least I am unable to find it.  There is one comm port that says, in device manager, that it can't be used.  However it says the device driver is up to speed. 

Darn thing is driving me up the wall.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 01:04:12 PM »

XP on the old computer, W7 on the new one.  At the moment there is an issue with the OS.  I am not sure they sent the product key for W7 so the OS is operating with some restrictions.  At least I am unable to find it.  There is one comm port that says, in device manager, that it can't be used.  However it says the device driver is up to speed. 

Darn thing is driving me up the wall.

How are you creating/making a comport on new PC? on-board or via USB dongle.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
KG8JF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 05:28:39 PM »

I think there is an on board usb/ serial comport.  It appears in device manager, but its status says, "unable to be used".  I think I read in the HRD user forum on W7 issues is that W7 does not like the prolific chipset.  I will probably wind up using a dongle affair from G4ZLP.
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 05:36:05 PM »

As far as the operating system serial number, it should be on the case somewhere in a Microsoft tag. If not, I would ask the manufacturer for a refund, and if no refund, report them to Microsoft, because you probably got a computer with an illegal copy of W7.
W9MAS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 01:51:46 AM »

Hope this may help -

See what physical COM ports the PC has by going into the BIOS. Make sure whatever COM port(s) you want to use are enabled. They also need to be using the conventional I/O addresses and interrupts (IRQ). For example, COM1 uses address 03F8-03FF and IRQ 4. You may also want to try resetting the BIOS to all of the default settings and reboot W7.

If a genuine Microsoft product key for W7 was not included (the "hologram" sticker on the PC or included with the documentation) then I would contact the seller. W7 will still be useable but it will keep barking at you that it's not an authorized copy. And yes, I agree with NA4IT, if it was sold as a complete system you should be entitled to refund on the OS portion.

FYI - I just purchased a USB to serial adapter cable for $3.50 (free shipping too!) on ebay. Tested it on both my Dell desktop and on my IBM Thinkpad to key a PTT - so far works fine! It shows in the Device Manager as mfg. by Prolific.

Anyhow, keep us posted.

Mike, W9MAS

VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 07:10:08 AM »

FYI - I just purchased a USB to serial adapter cable for $3.50 (free shipping too!) on ebay. Tested it on both my Dell desktop and on my IBM Thinkpad to key a PTT - so far works fine! It shows in the Device Manager as mfg. by Prolific.

Are those computers running Windows 7?

If they are, where did your drivers come from?

Thanks --

Charles
KG8JF

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 06:29:27 AM »

It is sort of amazing how once a thread starts, it takes on a life of its own.  I found the product key.  I just turned 70 years young and do not see as well as I used to.  It was there all along
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 11:12:38 PM »

I ask because many USB-to-serial adapters don't work well with Windows 7.   If you have accidentally "upgraded" to Windows 7, that could be the problem.

I too have experienced this firsthand with several
different USB->Serial adaptor cables and Windows 7.
Some (by no means all) of the problems
were solved by using FTDI chipset USB to serial adapters.
And, of course, being super careful to get the
correct drivers.

Frankly, I am sick of spending more time dicking around
with computer glitches than ham radio. Or having
critical software going tits up mid contest. I cannot get my
favorite contest logging program, WriteLog, to operate properly
on my WinBlows 7 machine.

I am going to throw in the towel and get a dedicated
laptop running XP for ham radio use.

Good luck with your machine.
73, Ken  AD6KA
KG8JF

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 07:08:23 AM »

I have the original issues solved and I now have HRD/DM780 up and running.  I have a question.  In my old copy of HRD there was a capability to upload an eQsl after every qso.  I find a screen that talks about moving qsos to another log and some other place as well, but no eQsl.  Has this been stopped?

Also I need any assistance possible to get my N3FJP ACL log files put into the new copy of HRD log on the new computer.  I am running into dead ends.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 10:42:49 PM »

I have a question.  In my old copy of HRD there was a capability to upload an eQsl after every qso.  I find a screen that talks about moving qsos to another log and some other place as well, but no eQsl.  Has this been stopped?

No it has not, you can still do it easily.
Open the Logbook.  Drop down "Tools", then select
"Configure"...then setup your eQSL parameters.

Also I need any assistance possible to get my N3FJP ACL log files put into the new copy of HRD log on the new computer.  I am running into dead ends.

Which version of N3FJP ACL do you have?
You can only "import" ADIF files into your HRD logs.
Go to:
http://www.n3fjp.com/
Go to that page. In the third paragraph
down,in brown letters there will be a "Amateur Contact Log"
link.
Click on that link and it  will tell you how to convert your
exported lots into ADIF format,depending on which version N3FJP
you are running:

GL ES 73, Ken AD6KA
KG8JF

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 08:38:45 AM »

Tnx much to AD6KA.  I have a disc with the ADIF file on it .  My problem is trying to import it to the nearly empty newly downloaded HRD logbook.  On an XP machine, I would use windows explorer and drag the ADIF file from the disc drive to the HRD logfile.  Things just do not look right.  I just this morning registered my free copy of HRD.  This may have had something to do with the strange screens I have been seeing.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 02:29:08 PM »

My problem is trying to import it to the nearly empty newly downloaded HRD logbook.

Open the Logbook program.
Click on the word "Logbook" on the very top line.
One of the first drop-down options should be "Import ADIF".
Click on that and you will get a dialog box to
locate and import your ADIF logs.
Hope this helps.....

GL ES 73,Ken AD6KA
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: