The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finger Tip Tapper  (Read 1188 times)
KB1NVQ

Ignore
« on: August 03, 2006, 01:51:27 PM »

Anyone here care to comment on this iambic key ?

Good things said in the Review section, but I'd like to hear more.  Thanx
N3EF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 06:12:03 PM »

I welcome you to ham radio and I have no comment on this "key" but there is no such thing as an iambic key. Iambic refers to a keyer, not a key or paddles. Most keyers nowadays are iambic but there are some that are not. No big deal and the term "iambic paddle" is found in many ads and articles but just want to let you know its a misnomer.

Hope to hear you on the air.
Eric N3EF
KC0SHZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 06:19:01 PM »

Still just a tech, but into my keyer or oscillator, the keyer works great.  Very light and labeled with my call sign.  I plan to add it to my QRP rig once I get the CW passed.  
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 06:30:41 PM »

If you have a radio with 6m CW capabiity, you can operate CW on that band right now without having passed the code test.  At times you can find some amazing contacts out there.
KB1NVQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 05:32:27 PM »

Hi Eric ! Thanx for the Welcome. Yeah, I'm one of the new guys with a zillion questions.  You are correct of course regarding the term "iambic", it did if fact take me some time to sort that one out.
I used it here as it is used in the vendors ad.  

Hope to give you a shout on the air......... as soon as I find that "purrrfect" rig !
KB1NVQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 05:39:21 PM »

Thanx for checking in KC0SHZ and letting me know how you like this little gizmo. Seems like a cool concept.

I'm studying now myself, good luck with your exam !

KB1NVQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 05:41:36 PM »

Thanx for the heads up D.D. I think this is an often overlooked opportunity for us Tech's.  I'll give it a whirl !
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 06:14:18 PM »

I have an article on this site, describing a Finger Tip Tapper "clone" that I built.

My version (probably the factory FTT as well) is usable at least to 20 wpm, and very light and compact.

It puts some strain on your finger tendons when you use it.  I suspect it would risk carpal tunnel syndrome if used many hours per day.  For normal ham use, it's fine.

IMHO, a full-size paddle is better ergonomically, but way, way worse for lugging around.  

I think there's also a "touch paddle" kit on the market that's pretty compact, and uses two side-by-side sensors.  Less tendon strain for that one.

Charles

K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006, 02:08:26 PM »

Technically (and poetically), it's "iambic" only if the dit comes first.  If the dah comes first, it's "trochaic".

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: