Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna modeling program for Ubuntu / Linux.  (Read 3018 times)
N0NZG

Ignore
« on: April 02, 2012, 09:17:28 PM »

Does anyone know of an antenna modeling program for Ubuntu / Linux.  All of the computers in my home run Linux so NEC is not an option for me. Are there any web based antenna modeling sites?  And lastly, are there any web pages that teach some basics of antenna modeling? I have the ARRL antenna book and it is very lacking in teaching the basic aspects of the subject.
JAHAM2BE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 09:30:11 PM »

Does anyone know of an antenna modeling program for Ubuntu / Linux.  All of the computers in my home run Linux so NEC is not an option for me.

Last time I tried (a few months ago), EZNEC worked under the WINE environment on Ubuntu Linux. I didn't do anything more than start the program, but I understand from others that the program is functional when run with WINE.

WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 10:10:29 PM »

Certainly a good place to start is the website of the late W4RNL:

http://www.cebik.com/content/radio.html

Yes, you have to register for free, but there is a wealth of information there.
He also wrote a series of notes on antenna modeling that appear on the
Antennex website (who is now maintaining the W4RNL site as well.)

Meanwhile W9CF has an online modeling applet for yagi antennas here:

http://fermi.la.asu.edu/w9cf/yagipub/index.html

It runs in your browser, or you can download it to your computer.
LX2GT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 12:22:14 AM »

I use 4nec2 under wine, works really nice. My Eznec doesnt run with wine, complains about currupted installation once I do start it.
W6RMK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 04:52:58 AM »

Does anyone know of an antenna modeling program for Ubuntu / Linux.  All of the computers in my home run Linux so NEC is not an option for me. Are there any web based antenna modeling sites?  And lastly, are there any web pages that teach some basics of antenna modeling? I have the ARRL antenna book and it is very lacking in teaching the basic aspects of the subject.

NEC is in FORTRAN IV and runs just fine under Linux. You may need to get sources and compile it with gfortran.  There might be precompiled binaries out there.  You won't get a fancy GUI and stuff, but there are utilities out there to plot patterns with GNUPLOT, etc.

W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 07:32:45 AM »

If all else fails, EZNEC works fine running inside a Virtualbox window running XP Pro. Works for me under Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

NH7O

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 11:03:52 AM »

MMANA-GAL works under WINE. It's freeware, has a Yahoo support group, and unlike EZNEC has a complete optimization engine as well.

http://hamsoft.ca/pages/mmana-gal.php

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: