Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FCC INPUT FOR EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS VERSES COVENANT RESTRICTIONS  (Read 17111 times)
AI7AZ

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2012, 09:18:07 AM »

Signed the petition with pleasure.  It's about time that the FCC reigned in the overzealous HOAs and builders.  We are FEDERALLY licensed radio operators with a mission of PUBLIC SERVICE.

Steve, AI7AZ
Tucson, AZ
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2012, 10:31:13 AM »

I wonder what the HOA would do if you worked with an architect and the builder and built the antennas into the house just under the siding, thereby giving you nearly as good performance as a flagpole verticle?

Might give them fits.

KF&CG
AI7AZ

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2012, 11:16:04 AM »

I wonder what the HOA would do if you worked with an architect and the builder and built the antennas into the house just under the siding, thereby giving you nearly as good performance as a flagpole verticle?

Might give them fits.

They'd probably declare the whole house an "antenna" and demand it be torn down.

My "stealth" antenna is a longwire about 70 ft. long that runs along the back eave of the house, about a foot above the roof.  It's supported on each end by a thick plexiglas strip about a foot long and goes down to the ground at one end, where it's fed by a SGC-230 tuner.  The vertical portion from the ground to the roof is painted the same color as the house so it blends in, and the horizontal portion blends right in with the dark tile roof.  You can't even see it from the back wall of the yard, it's like an illusion.

I've also got my cover story just in case -- if anyone from the HOA decides to be a nitwit over the antenna, it's an "electromagnetic sensor that's part of my home and personal security system".  

For those interested in seeing how I did it, here's links to some photos:

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p539/reedsteve59/100_0167.jpg

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p539/reedsteve59/100_0165.jpg

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p539/reedsteve59/100_0164.jpg

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p539/reedsteve59/100_0166.jpg

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p539/reedsteve59/100_0163.jpg

I'm sick of the games, though.  Hopefully, the FCC will step in and end the nonsense we have to go through just to be on the air.

Steve, AI7AZ
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 11:31:59 AM by AI7AZ » Logged
K5BJS

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2012, 11:30:55 AM »

Just signed the petition!
N3WAK

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2012, 02:27:16 PM »

Steve--Those are GREAT photos!  I frankly think that ham radio is a lot of fun, but being able to put up an antenna and put one over on the HOA makes it even more fun!  I like your arrangement.  However, have you tried getting the antenna up a little higher on your roof?  You could still keep the horizontal portion below your ridgeline, but perhaps mount the plexiglass "tower" on one of those pipes or some other attachment point on your roof.  In any event--good job outsmarting the HOA!

This also shows that there are always work-arounds to restrictive covenants.  Some hams just quit in the face of such covenants...others, like you, overcome and adapt.   

73, Tony
AI7AZ

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2012, 04:50:55 PM »

Steve--Those are GREAT photos!  I frankly think that ham radio is a lot of fun, but being able to put up an antenna and put one over on the HOA makes it even more fun!  I like your arrangement.  However, have you tried getting the antenna up a little higher on your roof?  You could still keep the horizontal portion below your ridgeline, but perhaps mount the plexiglass "tower" on one of those pipes or some other attachment point on your roof.  In any event--good job outsmarting the HOA!

This also shows that there are always work-arounds to restrictive covenants.  Some hams just quit in the face of such covenants...others, like you, overcome and adapt.   

73, Tony

Tony,

I considered putting it higher, but decided against it for a couple of reasons.  One, those end supports were cut from the largest. thickest piece of plexiglas I could find at Home Depot.  Two, I need as much plausible denial as possible -- if someone on the HOA challenged the wire as an "antenna", I could get away with saying "it isn't high enough to be an effective antenna".  Which is true.  It works OK as an antenna (better than something hidden in the attic), but it doesn't have the performance of something higher in the air. 

The whole antenna was designed to be a mirage with multiple layers of "cover".  When I stand a few feet away at the back wall of the house, the antenna is impossible to see.  If the HOA were to complain about it, my first question would be "who trespassed in my back yard, because that device can't be seen past my wall".  If they press the issue, it's a "security device".  If they ask how it works, it's "proprietary information". 

You'll also notice that the end supports are not located all the way at the ends of the eaves.  This prevents the antenna from being seen from the front and most of the side of the house.

The antenna wire itself is 18-gauge "polystealth".  It paints nicely.  Just use a foam brush and the wiring can melt in to a house or roof. 

All that being said, I'm tired of playing games and it would be great if the FCC would stick a fork in the CC&Rs nationwide.  The Amateur Radio service is being decimated by HOAs.

Steve, AI7AZ

N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2012, 02:18:37 PM »

1000 petition signatures received as of 2025Z 4/22/12.  My original goal was 1000 so it's time for me to stop beating the horse.  If someone else wants to take a turn with the horse, be my guest!

Thanks to all of you who signed.

If you haven't signed yet or are curious as to what it's all about, click on the link below.

http://www.change.org/petitions/federal-communications-commission-void-antenna-restrictions-by-homeowner-s-associations-and-developers
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2012, 06:43:34 PM »

1977 signatures collected as of 0145Z 4/25/12
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2012, 10:08:48 AM »

Over 2000 petition signatures collected by 1600Z 4/27/12

If you haven't signed check out the link below...

http://www.change.org/petitions/federal-communications-commission-void-antenna-restrictions-by-homeowner-s-associations-and-developers
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2012, 02:58:04 PM »

4/29/12 - 2200 petition signatures collected.
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2012, 06:14:14 AM »

Those who sign the online petition need not live in HOAs.  They need not have amateur radio licenses.  By signing the petition they are simply agreeing to a point of view expressed in the petition. 
WT3O

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2012, 09:53:46 AM »

The problem with only asking for comments from those who currently live in HOAs, as the FCC has done, is that we may all be affected by these rules at some point in our lives, especially near the end.  Shocked

The FCC should have allowed comments from all licensed ham radio operators. The fewer hams that are allowed outside antennas, the fewer contacts that can be made by the entire ham community. I hope they do not discount the petition signatures just because those hams may not presently live in HOAs. Wink

The FCC is not asking only for comments from those subject to HOAs - the ARRL only wants HOA-hams to submit comments to the ARRL so the ARRL can file a comprehensive comment. I urge anyone with a little time to submit comments directly to the FCC (even if they have already submitted them to the ARRL): http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/comment_search/execute?proceeding=12-91&applicant=&lawfirm=&author=&disseminated.minDate=&disseminated.maxDate=&recieved.minDate=4%2F10%2F11&recieved.maxDate=&address.city=&address.state.stateCd=&address.zip=&daNumber=&fileNumber=&bureauIdentificationNumber=&submissionTypeId=&__checkbox_exParte=true
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2012, 05:59:32 PM »

Why did the ARRL do something shortsighted like that? Individual voices are always louder! ARRL members are wasting their time sending them comments, when the effort would be better spent sending comments directly to the FCC. The ARRL can always make a position statement based on the best interest of its members. This is a good example of why I am not a member.  Roll Eyes

I guess K2VVH, on the "RE: Online Petition for the FCC to void HOA petitions on outside antennas" string is mistaken. Someone needs to tell him. Wink
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 06:03:33 PM by KI4SDY » Logged
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2012, 04:25:37 AM »

2300 online petition signatures collected as of 5/2/12.  You have 15 more days to sign the petition if you have not already done so.
KF5KXC

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2012, 10:56:07 AM »

Posted directly in FCC comment page & also signed online petition.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: