The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Toughing it out  (Read 2325 times)

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2006, 10:28:32 AM »

I found morsecat great to brush up my receiving to get a W licence after 15 years with no CW.

When I first learnt in the days of black disks and tapes I found them of some use, but too repetative. I think the CDs would be similar. You have to be prepared for the randomness.

Live morse is much better so a shortwave RX would be of great use to check out the ARRL transmissions.

Don't forget sending. Hiss morse at every opportunity, commuting, reading the paper, reading email, on the loo, etc. Any word you see. Practice leaving a gap if you don't remember the character. I think it is the sending that gets it into your head, receiving is more of a reflex action. I learnt by reading the backs of peoples newspapers during an hour and a half train commute. I got some wierd looks due to the hissing, but it usually meant I had an empty seat next to me.
W6ONV

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2006, 10:33:05 PM »

Well, I am taking another honest shot a learning CW. I feel more confident now than I did aout 10 years ago when I got my Tech ticket. Back then I had the Gordon West cassette tapes and I could just not get the dits and dahs down.

Late last year I passed the other two written elements leaving me with just CW to learn. I am progressing great. I have used Quick Code in order to learn all the words, numbers and prosigns, but have been using G4FON in order to learn the words by the sound. I do what many suggested on here and that was to pick out signs and turn them into morse code. That seems easy, but I am continuing to have a few setbacks when I try to listen and verbally speak or write down the character I just heard.

Should I learn the with the actual character speed at 15 WPM and the  effective code speed at 5 WPM? Or should I slow the effective speed down in order to learn the characters by sound, increasing this effective speed in order to pass the CW test.
KA8VIT

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2006, 05:20:48 AM »

There is another good Morse code learning program out there.

Besides the G4FON  Koch Method learner...  I recommend,
"Just Learn Morse Code," available at:

http://justlearnmorsecode.com

Bill  KA8VIT
AE6RF

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2006, 07:40:45 AM »

> Should I learn the with the actual character speed at
> 15 WPM and the effective code speed at 5 WPM? Or should
> I slow the effective speed down in order to learn the
> characters by sound, increasing this effective speed in
> order to pass the CW test.

You should learn it at 15/5. Because that's how they're supposed to give the test.

And you REALLY, REALLY want to learn the characters as sounds rather than dots and dashes.

73 de Donald
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2006, 07:42:28 AM »

To W6ONV:

Generally it is not a good idea to slow the effective speed below 5wpm.  Your brain may simply use the extra time to "play back" the character and create a look up table despite the 15wpm character speed since the gaps between letters is so long.

Perhaps you are trying to add new characters too soon?  I.e. you haven't quite got the 90% accuracy that is recommended before moving on?

It is usually better to use a higher effective speed such as 7wpm.  Then the test will seem slow and relaxed.
W6ONV

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2006, 10:52:55 PM »

Yeah, I am not counting dits and dahs, I can understand by sound, but like everything else it takes time. In G4FON, I am probably adding too many characters too quick. I heard or read to add a character or two after you can pass the previous characters with a 90% or better score. Right now, I am not at that percentage. I am not too worried, I have the time to spend more time listening and learning a bit slower. Just wanted to get some info from those who have already successfully passed the Element. Thanks for the info!
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: