Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solving RFI problems with UVERSE  (Read 1588 times)
N6SBN

Ignore
« on: April 04, 2012, 08:29:40 AM »

Regarding the RFI problem with UVerse.   Good news,  I found a way to reduce the problems with it.   

The installer connected my DSl modem to the TV control boxes with Cable TV Coax.  Behind the radio he used a big ol' metal splitter to send the cable to two different TV control boxes.  The TV picked up RFI and the picture froze.  (Screams from my wife)

When inspecting the TV control box, I noticed the control box had a jack for ethernet.  I disconnected Coax and ran a Ethernet cable from the DSL modem to the TV control box.   SUCCESS!!!.   Not only I've eliminated tiling and freezing, I was rewarded with a much better picture.     It makes sense that the ethernet would transfer much more signal to the TV control box.

In addition to using Ethernet, I think I will move the DSL modem out of the radio room, closer the the TV control boxes, internet radio and Roku.

For the time being, this has helped my RFI problem.   Craig

KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 02:44:27 PM »

Good tip.  The Uverse cable system is notorious for EMI problems among hams.
K0CBA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 07:57:16 AM »

My U-verse grief is the the other way 'round.

I could care less if my radio bothers their stuff, that's their problem and I have been led to believe they will make every effort to fix it....my problem is their junk puts out EMI crap from DC to near daylight.

AT&T knows it, doesn't care about it and will basically tell you to go #@$$ up a rope because their only contractual obligation is to deliver the programs and of course raise the price now and then.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 07:17:18 AM by K0CBA » Logged
N6SBN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 10:42:46 AM »

I wonder if the Comcast option is less noisy ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: