The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interfacing Logger 32 to HW-101  (Read 1234 times)
OKC

Ignore
« on: August 12, 2006, 08:16:13 PM »

I have a Heathkit HW-101 transceiver and a HD-1410 Electronic Keyer. I downloaded and installed the Logger 32 logging program which has a great CW memory-keyer/auto-keyer feature.

1) I'm not sure what hardware I need to get the program's output from the computer serial port to the RCA "Keyer Input" jack on my HD-1410 (or alternately to the keyer jack of the transceiver). Obviously it must translate the digital output from the computer to an analog signal, but I don't know what to call it or where to get one.

2) My assumption is that a more typical setup would be where the computer serial port is directly connected to a much more sophisticated computer-ready transceiver. Am I right about that?

Graham Welch - OKC
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 07:55:43 AM »

I'm familiar with Logger32 specifically; but, I have contest software setup to key my radios.  There are small circuits that consist of a resistor or two and a transistor that connect to several pins on your parallel or serial ports that are often used by the older software.  This is a cheap and easy way to go, if Logger32 supports it.  Usually, the software manual will have a schematic.  Although, if you have a slow computer, the CW may stutter.  Another option is to use a K1EL Win-Key or MicroHam keyer, if supported.  These keyers communicate with the computer via serial or USB and have their own "brains" to do the keying.

Beware that HW-101 probably can't be keyed directly with a small 2N3904 or 2N2222 transistor.  I simply added relay (switched inline by the phone jack) to one of my keyers to support these older rigs.  If your keyer has an external key input line, you might be able to drive this with the small transistor, though.
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 07:56:34 AM »

I meant to say I'm NOT familiar with Logger 32...
OKC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 11:15:37 AM »

Thanks Ethan for the excellent input.

I looked at some Win-Key options, but saw that they had speed controls and other aspects that are obviated by the functions in Logger32's CW program.

So I dug further and I think I found a solution. It's a parallel port interface by N6TR. The web address is:

http://www.trlog.com/w1wef.shtml

I think the simple Model 1 interface should work to key my Heathkit HD-1410 Electronic keyer through it's "EXT KET" input jack.

As the TRLog page states, it may be neccessary to use the Direct I/O software to prevent my Windows XP from chopping up the CW. Direct I/O web address:

http://www.direct-io.com/

Alternately, I may use a Pentium II computer I have in my garage with Windows 98 which will allow direct port access without additional software. That way I can have a Ham-dedicated computer in the shack and release the XP computer for family use.

I sent an email to N6TR asking if his interface will in fact key my electronic keyer, and I will post his reply.

Thanks again.

Graham Welch - OKC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: