Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: where to mount a screwdriver on my truck - ???  (Read 3261 times)
KF7NUA

Ignore
« on: April 04, 2012, 06:09:01 PM »

I purchased a Hi-Q 4-80 screwdiver 1 year ago and I am now looking to install it on my truck.
Only problem is where to put it....  Huh
The top of the utility cabin is 8ft at the square tubing tip and unfortunatly the complete unit is made of Aluminum.
I spoke with the Hi-Q dealer at the Hamfest in Yuma and he really had no suggestions, he didn'rt see the truck in person but I did the best to describe it to him. You can see the 2/70 on the cab roof and I have been running hamsticks on the mount on the driver side front fender mount.

I would love to hear of any ideas from you?

thanks

Nick

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i115/71GTXD21/Truck800.jpg
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 06:12:36 PM by KF7NUA » Logged
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 05:26:14 AM »

Electrically the best place to mount your Hi-Q 4-80 is on the top frame of the utility cabin. But that puts the top of the whip at 18 feet and that's too high.

Mounting the antenna on the top of the bed rail gives a reasonable height for driving. The performance will be degraded by the presence of the utility cabin next to the antenna.
KF7NUA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 06:30:35 AM »

I think what confuses me more than anything is I look at the installation pictures submitted by owners and I see that many SUV installs mounted there antenna driverside back rear quarter, lower portion on the body. The majority of he antenna is against the body panel. Also on truck installs, the antenna has been mounted in the same place or behind the tailgate on a trailor hitch, and this too is against the body.
So it is the coil portion that needs to be above the body line or is it the hat and wip portion that only needs to be above the body line for the best performance?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 12:15:08 PM by KF7NUA » Logged
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 06:40:39 AM »

I tried to find a recent post to reference it for you.  I believe it was a VK Op who posted that he was noticing a lot of SUV's there with big screwdrivers mounted on the front bumper.  Barring that, and based on your cap design, I'd say you're pretty much hosed.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 08:05:41 AM »

SUVs, vans, crossovers, and other similar vehicles present a mounting problem. As noted, it is very important to keep the coil as free and clear as possible. From looking at the linked photo, you have another problem due to the tool shed! However, if you go to my web site's photo gallery, Other Installs album, and do a search for K7KPP. Hit the show all button. This is one way to support the weight, yet establish the ground plane higher up on the vehicle, and get the coil clear of the sheet metal. There are at least two other similar examples.

KF7NUA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 12:24:57 PM »

thank you everyone and Alan, thanks for the photo suggestions this helps.
I am wondering if it is possible to mount it on the side of the truck.
Imagine using the square tubing at the top 2 locations to mount a bracket that drops down to just about the height of the door handle on the back door. This bracket hanging down would be located at the front driver side corner of the Utility cap. This would or could place the coil much higher than if mounted on the back lower options I have but it may be too high.
I am not sure about the overall final height at this time.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 12:26:49 PM by KF7NUA » Logged
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 01:02:35 PM »

It gives you several options. 

first, mount a "t " plate on the bed rail  with some big fender washers  with the top of the T on the bed rail and the bottom leg sticking out a few inches and mount the antenna there.

another point is to mount a strap between the cab and the bed  and extend it out to the side and mount the antenna there.

you can use a trailer hitch mount with a tilt out option,

bolt or weld a plate under the car sticking out under the drivers side rear at the 45 degree angle.  you can mount the antenna there. 

mount it to the front bumper

lots of ways to mount it, perhaps not the best way to mount it  RF wise, but getting it on the truck  is a start, and then decide from there if you need to change it. 
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 04:59:21 AM »

If you're willing to give up 80 meters the Hi-Q 4-80 will tune 40-10 meters with a 3' whip. With this reduced length it might be ok to mount it on top of the utility cabin frame.
WD4CHP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 03:50:13 PM »

If your truck has a receiver for a trailer hitch, get a mount that fits it.

Be sure to ground it to the truck's frame.

Any mobile installation is a compromise.

I have used mirror mounts with an original outbacker with outstanding results.

I now use a short mast Hustler mounted on the wheelchair mount on the back of the truck even with the top of the box.

I have had gotten DX with this configuration with only 100 watts barefoot on 20 meters.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 03:59:11 PM by WD4CHP » Logged
KF7NUA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 08:34:14 AM »

thank you everyone, after carefull measurments and talking with some of the locals a plan is to mount the antenna in the location between the utility cab and passenger cabin on the driver side. A bracket will need to be made that will slide under the utility cab to mount the antenna and a support bracket will be made to attach to the top potion of the mast to the tubing on the the utility cab. I will adjust the lower mount to place the top of the antenna at 13ft tall off the ground and the bottom of the coil looks like it will be located right at or just above the height of the truck cabin.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 08:36:53 AM by KF7NUA » Logged
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 12:28:16 PM »

And remember, most mobile  installs are a compromise of some sort.  If you really want to work dx on 160, mobile is not the way to go, but for some fun working JA's on 10 meters or checking into a nite time 40 meter net while driving home from work, then most any decent setup will work, be sure its safe and secure.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 01:37:16 PM »

by the way, 3 good reasons for mounting it on the drivers side.  First you can see it in the mirror, second  the trees  and overpasses are  higher in the middle of the street, and third, if its on the passenger side  it is next to the sidewalk and I have yet to find a kid who can resist  a chance to twang an antenna sitting Right There.Smiley  good luck, have fun.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: