Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Wideband IQ Demodulator  (Read 4241 times)
KA4POL

Ignore
« on: April 05, 2012, 06:13:20 AM »

There is an interesting new circuit available: LTC5585, Wideband IQ Demodulator from Linear. It should be fairly interesting for SDR developments. The frequency range is impressive. So get the soldering irons out or rather heat the ovens up.
M0HCN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 11:09:19 AM »

It is shiny in its way, but would need serious front end selectivity to make it workable as a RX for our use.
IMD3 is just not that impressive (Important on HF) and it is not that quiet (important on VHF).

I looked long and hard at it as a way to simply my cartesian loop TX, before eventually going back to a low fixed IF and a couple of more conventional mixers.

Interestingly they also do a similar modulator, which has possibilities.

Regards, Dan.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 10:26:37 PM »

I think it's an invitation for experiments.
NB3O

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 09:24:16 PM »

Hi Dan, CML Micro is offering an eval board with their CMX998 TX chip which includes a Cartesian loop.
I have one here which I plan to feed into a IC-746's 2 meter TX section.
The mate is the CMX994 RX which seems to have a pretty decent dynamic range for its' power consumption.

http://www.cmlmicro.com/products/index.asp?searchvalue=CMX998&setindex=

Steve NB3O
M0HCN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 05:11:34 AM »

I looked at the 998, but could not locate a source in sane quantities, none of the usual suspects carry the thing that I can see, and distributors usually want to sell me a compete reel.

Note that you will need a micro and some DACs to trim out the DC offsets on the I & Q inputs.

I went for a pair of H mode quadrature mixers driven by two DDS chips to make a 9Mhz first IF, then mix up to (and down from) 85Mhz, before a final mixer pair produces the HF output. 

An interesting thought is that the 5585 and its companion modulator could be used, with a second modulator used to produce the variable phase shift needed to allow the loop to be closed by simply applying DC levels to the I & Q inputs to set the phase of the generated output.

Broadband noise is a concern, particularly as I am trying a HF set, rather then a VHF one.

Regards, Dan.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 08:14:08 AM »

Dan,

Contact me off line - peter.chadwick@ties.itu.int

I maybe able to help you with the CML part.

Peter G3RZP
NB3O

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 08:52:35 PM »

Hi Dan, I got the evaluation kits from CML's stateside distributor,  Component Distributors Inc (cdiweb.com) for the CMX994 RX/ 998 TX (P/N EV9942 / EV9980) along with their companion microcontroller PE0002 which is needed to run one or the other. 

The lead times were about a month.

You would need two PE0002 controllers if you wanted to run both eval boards at the same time.

The kits are not the cheapest things in the world, but allow a very quick evaluation since they have downloadable Windows apps and sample scripts for the PE0002.

I am looking forward to pumping some wideband custom waveforms in one and out the other, however I won't have a chance to power them up for another month or so based on the current work sched.

Steve NB3O
KB8E

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 10:02:20 AM »

Guys,

FWIW, I'm somewhat familiar with the CMX994; I'm using it in a UHF FM transceiver breadboard. In my case, I'm using it as a transceiver since I don't need the I and Q for FM transmit, just a way to modulate the VCO and reference oscillator of the PLL. You can use the PE0002, but anything with a SPI interface will work. If using a CMX998, I doubt if two PE0002s would be needed; I think the register addresses are different on the 994 vs 998 so one PE0002 could load both. The fractional-N synthesizer on the EV9942 is rather interesting and is fun to play with as well as the 994. I had to rework the VCO to cover the band I wanted and change the front-end SAW filter, but really a nice eval board.

Sam
M0HCN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 01:50:19 PM »

Yea, SPI and I2C tools I have, hooking it to a computer to configure the thing is not a major concern.

I am probably going to go with an AD9910 DDS or similar for the LO generators, with the reference clock divided down to clock the I & Q dacs so everything is locked to the same master reference.

Regards, Dan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: