Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upgrading to General Class  (Read 2161 times)
KF7UPJ

Ignore
« on: April 05, 2012, 07:02:53 AM »

New Ham -- have had my Tech Class ticket for about a month -- and was thinking of upgrading to a General Class ticket.
I'm thinking about doing this for the greater bandwidth privileges, but mostly because I'm the type of person who wants to do as much as I can.
The only problem with this is that I'm a little strapped for cash right now and am happy with my little 5W HT. It's a Wouxun, so I know I can open it up for all the frequencies I'll have privileges for, but I'm a little concerned that it won't quite be enough (power-wise) to do the job.
Do you all think I'll be fine -- until I'm able to upgrade to a higher wattage rig in the future -- to get a General ticket with just an HT?  ((By this, I mean will it be worth it? Or is it a waste of time right now to get a General Class ticket if I only have an HT?))
WV4L

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 07:34:27 AM »

Go ahead and upgrade! Wink There should be no regret in that. Huh Its better to have the extra bandwidth and not need it, then need it and not have it. Grin
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 09:02:35 AM »

Go ahead and upgrade.  You may not use the added bands now, but you can work all the HF
bands at a club Field Day in June even if you don't have any equipment yourself.
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 09:04:14 AM »

Yes, upgrade.  You never know when you'll have the opportunity to pick up an HF rig, or even operate a Field Day station. What if an affordable rig shows up in a yard sale next month? It would be nice to use all its capabilities, not just its 10m SSB, wouldn't it?
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 10:13:02 AM »

It costs little if anything to upgrade!  If you are as you say then this is a "no-brainer" question. 

I was confronted with a forced upgrade from Condition Class to General for the same privileges and requiring a 4 hour trip to the nearest examining point (Condition Class tickets were being phased out). 

So, that I did and since the Advanced and Extra licenses were "there" I continued to study and upgraded from General to 1st Phone Commercial in a period 90 days. 

Because I am like you!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 10:29:24 AM »

I was confronted with a forced upgrade from Condition Class to General for the same privileges and requiring a 4 hour trip to the nearest examining point (Condition Class tickets were being phased out). 

I started as a Novice in 69 and got a conditional in early 70's while in military. They automatically converted it to a general with no intervention on my part and I later moved up to Advanced in early 80's and Extra in early 90's.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 12:38:42 PM »

Getting the General makes sense, but not for the reasons you quote.  And you might not need more power.  And you do not need to use the extra privledges once you get them.
But the extra knowledge will be worth it, and it is not expensive... mainly your time!
Then when you can afford the "Dream Machine", you will be able to use it!
73s.

-Mike.

ps: Most of us have a budget!
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 12:44:34 PM »

Yes get your General and then start working on the Extra.  Like they say on TV, be all that you can be.  You can always find a radio to suit your  priviliges . join a local club or keep and eye on the craigs list and such.  I have loaned out radios to fellow hams in the past. I just sold an Icom 740 for $300 so there are radios out there for you.  You can also usually scrounge some spare coax from someone and you can make a nice Fan Dipole for under $20 if you try.  Go for it.
N4JTE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 07:07:39 PM »

Get the upgrade and come back to this forum, we will find you an inexpensive/ cheap, way to expand your horizons!!
Good luck, worth the effort!
Bob
KC7YRA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 08:26:28 PM »

Perhaps I am reading this incorrectly, but I don't think so.

Your woxun won't be able to cover your general class hf frequencies, even at low power.  It just won't get on hf.

Brad
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 09:12:08 PM »

Perhaps I am reading this incorrectly, but I don't think so.

Your Wouxun won't be able to cover your general class hf frequencies, even at low power.  It just won't get on hf.

Brad

Even if it would transmit lower frequencies, you can't use FM below 10 meters.

It's not an HF rig. Stop thinking about it that way.

Yes, get your upgrade!

73 de N4CR, Phil

Never believe an atom. They make up everything.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 09:46:06 PM »

JX:  I returned to the States from Germany in January 57 with the Conditional ticket.  It was either later in 57 or sometime in 58 that the FCC started pulling in Conditional tickets. 
The choice was either retest before an FCC examiner or give up the ticket.

Perhaps I should have waited to see if they continued with this policy but I decided on a preemptive strike and drove 4 hours to DC for the test. 

But, on the other hand, this was probably the incentive I needed to get into electronics and  go for the brass ring!  :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: