Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL Rookie roundup?  (Read 3581 times)
KC2ZPK

Ignore
« on: April 05, 2012, 12:57:13 PM »

Probably not, but does anyone here work the rookie roundup? I figure most here are not rookies, but may have beeen at one time? Any suggestins on how to run? S&P or run a frequency? Any other tips. This is my last elegable year for it, so might as well make it a good one.

thanks
John

John
KC2ZPK.com - A work in progress
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 05:16:40 PM »

I did the RTTY RR and had a lot of fun. I got 1st place in my call area (and am slow to note that there were only 3 logs) in just a couple hours on the air. There's not a lot of traffic (should be more for the SSB contest), but it gave me some good experience. I did a combination of S&P and running, and got about equal results with both approaches.

I hope to catch you on the air in the contest.
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 08:07:21 PM »

Wasn't eligible for rookie status (well, in terms of years, anyway  Tongue ) but had fun working you guys last year.

Won't be around a radio for this year's SSB 'test, though.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 08:24:06 PM »

Probably not, but does anyone here work the rookie roundup? I figure most here are not rookies, but may have beeen at one time? Any suggestins on how to run? S&P or run a frequency? Any other tips. This is my last elegable year for it, so might as well make it a good one.

I have very fond memories of doing my first Novice Roundup 34 years ago (before it became "rookie roundup"). I try to jump in as a non-rookie and make some Q's in the CW RR still.

Running is actually easier than S&P and the RR would be a great place to learn what it feels like. But I would never want to do just running exclusively over a whole event. In things like the NAQP and the RR you want to be sure to try both and get some experience with both.
N1EN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 10:23:07 AM »

I'm a rookie, and I have played in the 3 RR's (phone, RTTY, CW) since I was licensed.

The CW roundup was very slow, both in terms of the code being sent and in the level of participation.  RTTY was slightly more active (except for a couple of hours where I was QRT due to weather), but still very slow for a "contest".  Having a few contacts turn into nice ragchews made up for the very low rate.

SSB was definitely more active -- not as active as a big contest, but a decent level of activity nonetheless, especially during the last couple of hours.  I had one hour-long run, which was at times a pileup, that was a lot of fun, and made a big dent in working towards WAS (I had only had an HF antenna up for a couple of weeks at that point).   There were quite a few parent/child teams working, and a good number of stations identifying with "/AG" and "/AE".

XYL permitting, I'll play in the SSB RR again this year.  I probably won't bother with the CW RR.  RTTY...we'll see.
KC2ZPK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 05:40:24 AM »

I know it's late in the game, but this year they allow up to 5 single ops to be a team, and compete for a combined score.
If anyone wants to form a team, let me know.

John
KC2ZPK.com - A work in progress
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 04:06:35 PM »

I have opened my shack up to our local club rookies to come over and take a turn at the mike. So far I have 4 coming over various times during the test. I had hoped to have them all there at the same time to allow some hands on training without having to recover things during the flow of the contest but I'll make do. I just read about the team fact so I may see if they want to try that. A major problem is 3 of the 4 are waiting on their licenses from a Tech/General license class 'final' exam session last week and we're hoping the licenses are processed and posted before the weekend. May have to have some of them use my call. I'm not sure how that will play out.

Gene W5DQ
A rookie 35 years ago Smiley

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: