Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How much this Radio Station will cost???  (Read 6642 times)
KI6HYC

Ignore
« on: April 05, 2012, 11:52:58 PM »

I would love to put together preferably a low power AM or an FM radio station with a broadcast radius around 1-2 miles...

I want to use this radio station as a talk radio station.
So there will be no music broadcast where I may need royalty license or other stuff.
Just me, just talk.
My intention is not to make money or any kind of monetary profit.

I can't have a tower where I live.
But I am on the beach. So, the landscape around me is all flat shoreline. My antenna only could be 15 ft off the ground.

What will be the easiest and most economical setup ?
Any ideas ?

Capt. Jim Davis
KI6HYC
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 03:26:41 AM »

First of all, how are you going to get a licence to do this? Its certainly not something you can do under your amateur licence.

For a 2 mile range, a cheap used retuned PBR radio and a vertical antenna can do the job. The gear to do it is a few hundred dollars. Then there are whatever licence and other fees you need to pay.
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 03:54:09 AM »

Jim,

Before you get too involved, you might consider whether or not it's worth the trouble for the range you might get.  Without a broadcast license, FCC rules for unlicensed broadcast (Part 15) in the FM band only allow a signal strength of 250 uV/m measured at 3meters (equivalent to ~0.01 uW), and in the AM band a maximum input power to the final stage of 100 mW.  In other words, you'll be doing well if you can be heard across the street.  Anything more than that could put you at risk of fines up to $10,000 and put your Ham ticket in extreme jeopardy.

If you're still interested, there are plenty of cheap kits out there.  Google is your friend.

Don, K2DC
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 04:55:56 AM »

http://transition.fcc.gov/lpfm/

This FCC link states that Low Power FM broadcasting up to 100 watts are "not available to individuals."

However, you can engage in Micro Broadcasting. And as K2DC says the range is quite limited (300 feet). The 250 uV/m field strength at 3 meters is a radiated power (if isotropic) of 19 nanowatts.

But many individuals do run higher power. Here is a 1 watt transmitter from Ramsey Electronics.

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=FM100B

RFRY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 05:30:03 AM »

But many individuals do run higher power. Here is a 1 watt transmitter from Ramsey Electronics.

According to Ramsey, they will not sell the 1 watt version to a buyer in the US.

Also it is unlikely that the output power of the 25 mW version of the FM100 could be reduced by built-in means to the extremely low power needed to be compliant for unlicensed use under FCC 15.239.  The FCC legal limit can be produced by a 1/2-wave dipole with about 11 nW (0.000 000 011 watts) at its input connector.  A 25 mW output would need to be attenuated by ~63.6 dB to reduce it to 11 nW.

The FCC has issued citations to unlicensed operators using the FM broadcast band where it can be shown by calculation that the field intensity they measured from the system could have been generated by less than 25 mW radiated from a 1/2-wave dipole.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 08:28:54 AM »

Podcast on the internet instead.

Much larger "coverage area," and no extra equipment involved. Wink
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 12:05:31 PM »

To legally do this will cost money.
to illegally do this might cost you your license! 
The FCC does have a class for low power stations.  This does not come under the amateur radio service, though, And I have not kept up with the service.  Contact the FCC and the can recommend the proper rules and regs that apply.
And you can always stream over the internet!
73s.

-Mike.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 03:42:41 PM »

Badges?

We don't need no.................................................

Never change a password on a Friday                
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 04:16:52 PM »

I would love to put together preferably a low power AM or an FM radio station with a broadcast radius around 1-2 miles...

I want to use this radio station as a talk radio station.
So there will be no music broadcast where I may need royalty license or other stuff.
Just me, just talk.
My intention is not to make money or any kind of monetary profit.
The frequencies that you desire to use:
Commercial AM (550 -1700 kHz) and Commercial/educational FM (88-108 MHz) were "auctioned or allocated" over the past century.  90 years ago for AM and 60 years ago for FM.

You CAN operate under FCC Part 15, BUT you must not cause interference or inhibit reception of the license holders.
http://www.lwca.org/sitepage/part15/whatisit.htm
This type of operation has been used by "Talking Houses" over past decade..

Mr. Bill DeFelice is trying to promote this Part 15 usage for frustrated hobbyist broadcasters.
Major broadcasters, such as Clear Channel, watch these groups and users closely -- to prevent the "CB" problem -- illegal operations, usage of power amplifiers, etc.
http://www.hobbybroadcaster.net/

BTW, In today's technology this is a "throw-back" approach for information to public --- revenue generation and % listeners of these services have dropped over past decade.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 04:27:43 PM by W9GB » Logged
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 12:18:25 AM »

Major broadcasters, such as Clear Channel, watch these groups and users closely -- to prevent the "CB" problem -- illegal operations, usage of power amplifiers, etc.

Or more realistically to prevent lose of listenership and revenues!

If you want to be licensed for FM broadcasting, prepare for a nightmare. A friend of mine (also a long time ham) went through it and had to fight tooth and nail all the way. He got through it but it wasn't pretty!!

KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 12:16:39 PM »

Legal and illegal 'part 15' transmitters are readily available on eBay for very reasonable prices.

As stated before the maximum legal power equates to a usable distance of about 300ft/100yards.

It is legal to transmit over house electrical wiring. This is another niche method once used in schools and colleges.
KI6HYC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 09:52:21 PM »

Let me elaborate a little more to clarify my intentions.

I have a commercial tour company.
I wanted to have a broadcasting system which will be reached by my clients by their car radios when they are about to arrive where my business is located. That's why Internet streaming won't work for me...
Kind of like Talking home style broadcast 90% of the time but within  2-3 mile radius.

I was planning to tell my guests when they are about to arrive my little town tune their radios to FM xx.x frequency and listen where they can find, driving directions, parking information and other details about that day's tour/s.

So that is my ultimate goal but I guess land of FREE doesn't allow citizens to do the things easily when you want to do it legally and I have no intentions to do it illegally anyways.
Thanks guys,

Capt. Jim Davis
KI6HYC
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 07:57:10 AM »

I have a commercial tour company.

This may complicate matters, though I don'tknow the specifics.
The LPFM licenses were originally designed to "give communities a voice"
and for churches, college stations,etc.

That is, non-profit entities.

Also, regarding power output/signal strength for LPFM, there is
a lot of confusion here between "Micro Broadcasting"
and "LPFM".

Lots of good info here.
http://www.radio-broadcast-engineer.com/LPFM-micropower-Part-15.htm
Low Power FM (LPFM) was established to provide communities a local radio voice.   An LPFM broadcast station operating at the maximum authorized transmit power of 100 watts Effective Radiated Power (ERP) and with an antenna height of 30 meters (91 feet) above average terrain can generally expect coverage out to about 5.6 kilometers or more from the physical transmitter site.   Not-for-profit entities are typically eligible to file and receive an LPFM broadcast radio Construction Permit and License from the Federal Communications Commission.   Some of the non-profit entities likely eligible to apply for an LPFM construction permit include a public or private school, college, university, institute or other educational entity; church, parish, temple, synagogue, seminary, bible college, theological college, divinity school or other religious entity; community association or organization; government body at the federal, state, county or municipal level and typically any associated public library, office of emergency management, police department or fire station.   Specific legal qualifications must be met.   There are no FCC application filing fees associated with the submission of an LPFM Form 318 - APPLICATION FOR CONSTRUCTION PERMIT FOR A LOW POWER FM (LPFM) BROADCAST STATION.

I guess land of FREE doesn't allow citizens to do the things easily.
Cheap shot at our great country, OM!
We enjoy more civil liberties here than any other country
on the planet. You are always welcome to leave.

Broadcasting on a commercial radio band, or operating
ham radio, are PRIVILEGES not RIGHTS.

73, Ken  AD6KA
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 08:03:22 AM by AD6KA » Logged
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 10:49:22 AM »

On a vaguely related note, years ago a local FM station simulcast their main signal on 106.1 with a translator on 93.5 MHz. Not unusual, apparently they had a coverage gap the FCC considered worthy of filling. Fast forward a bit, and the station is now part of Clear Channel with the two signals independently programmed. The 250 watt translator can be heard by a good portion of the city and is ID'd as " K228BR ", same as any station call, and although it's listed as a translator here: http://radio-locator.com/info/K228BR-FX it is now absolutely independent in program content.

Sometimes I wonder if that's kosher, but there it 'tis.

Never change a password on a Friday                
KI6HYC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 11:19:32 PM »

I guess land of FREE doesn't allow citizens to do the things easily.
Cheap shot at our great country, OM!
We enjoy more civil liberties here than any other country
on the planet. You are always welcome to leave.

Broadcasting on a commercial radio band, or operating
ham radio, are PRIVILEGES not RIGHTS.

73, Ken  AD6KA
[/quote]

Ken, I don't know if you're joking or serious but no matter whatever your intention was I didn't like the tone of your response or your joke is not funny. 
I appreciate your radio knowledge and that's all I need from you. You do not need to respond to my mere tongue-in-cheek comment regarding "government making some things too complicated" for those of us who would like to do those things the right way.

I am a proud citizen who served this great country during two different wars. I do not need civics lesson from you.
Please stick to the subject you are better at being an Elmer.

AC5UP>>> I never imagined something like that. Interesting and thank you.

Capt. Jim Davis
KI6HYC
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: