Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: David Clark Head set  (Read 1579 times)
K9ZF

Ignore
« on: April 06, 2012, 03:35:14 AM »

I picked up a David Clark, H10-60, aviation head set at an estate sale recently.

These are very nice and sell for a lot of money.  I debating on rewiring it for ham use, or selling it.  I could likely sell it for enough to buy a good Heil Pro set, so I'm still on the fence.

Opinions?

Dan
--
K9ZF
Amateur Radio Emergency Service, Clark County Indiana. EM78el
former K9ZF /R no budget Rover ***QRP-l #1269
Check out the Rover Resource Page at:
<http://www.qsl.net/n9rla>
List Administrator for: InHam+grid-loc+ham-books
Ask me how to join the Indiana Ham Mailing list!

--
K9ZF
Amateur Radio Emergency Service, Clark County Indiana. EM78el
The once and future K9ZF /R no budget Rover
 ***QRP-l #1269
Check out the Rover Resource Page at:
<http://www.qsl.net/n9rla>
List Administrator for: InHam+grid-loc+ham-books
Ask me how to join the Indiana Ham Maili
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 07:26:24 AM »

Bob Heil specializes in ham gear; David Clark specializes in aviation stuff. That having been said, many hams have used or are using Clark headsets with their ham equipment, and probably with good personal reasons. I can see where they could come in handy at contest stations or during Field Day, but I find them somewhat uncomfortable for casual use in the shack. Heck, I didn't care for them that much when I was flying--but that's me. Your results may vary. GL
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 12:56:00 PM »

Dan --

I would recommending NOT modifying the David Clark headsets, it reduces their resale value (considerably).

Build an interface box to accept the David Clark connections --
 then add circuitry to make compatible with the radios you will operate.

KJ4I

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 06:52:58 PM »

I would just sell the DC headset and get a Heil for ham use. I have David Clark headsets that I use when I fly and man those things are not comfortable for extended use. They just squeeze on my head and end up giving me a headache. I couldn't imagine trying to use those things in the hamshack. They are tight because they are designed to cancel out as much outside noise as possible in an aviation environment which can be really noisy. As was said earlier, these are made for a specific use and that's what they work best for. You could probably get enough money out of them to go a pretty fair distance towards a Heil headset for amateur use. I have had several Heil sets over the years and they work great and all have been very comfortable for extended use.
BOYSCLUBRADIO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 12:38:33 PM »

I have and still use the david clark headsets for field day and quiet times... working CW and others... good audio bandwidth and you can set the "sqeeze" tension on the 10-60s... and with the mic they use.. you only need a resistor and a blocking cap to make it work...  I made up a little patch box.. using the mic and headphone jacks... .with a push to talk and several of the others so that when you contest with the pro III... you can use the pre-recorded features... plugs into the mic on the radio... along with a jack so that you can use the 8 pin also if your not using the headsets...  that way its universial... you can also use a foot switch to help out with the keying... thus all hands on deck sort of thing... for the computer or writing...  the fact that the mic is attached to the headset... keeps it within the same audio range...

As to the other headsets... I found that they are cheap and flimsy... and have tried 'em... not good... went back to the DC's...

Bought a second set of 10-60's used at the aircraft swap meet... and then got the right ear phone removed... David Clark... sells a blank that goes in place of the earphone..... (simple mod that doesn't become perm so you can convert it back later if you want... This then makes it so that you can use it going down the road without being illegal... and of course hands free... if you use again a foot switch on the floorboard... where the clutch or old headlight dimmer switch used to be... thus works great also...  for mobile...

If you got them cheap enough... I would keep 'em... maybe replace the liquid ear seals... and put a set of the earseal covers over them so that your not having full contact of the seals... keeps the sweat factor down when its warm...

enjoy... you have a good set of headsets their.... that can be adapted for ham or other useage... 1 million firemen in trucks can't be wrong .. as they too use DC's ...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: