Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Static in Audio on TV  (Read 1385 times)
WB4CVB

Ignore
« on: April 06, 2012, 12:34:57 PM »

This is not the usual Ham question, but I've run out of ideas and need help from the Elmer's on a satellite TV issue.  We have had Dish Network for 12 years now and never had any problem with reception, however 2 months ago I had a Disth Technician out because in trying to install a new receiver they sent to me I encountered a error with the LNB, Dish repaced the antenna and that's when our problems began.  I won't go into the whole story, but to say that I've spent more on the phone and with technicians than I've spent on the radio in the last year.  Now, they put up another new dish and new connectors on the new cables feeding the house wiring and have changed out receivers several times and we got most of the problems ironed out, but the final issue of getting static through the audio on some of the channels and they don't have a clue or the background to determine how to fix it.
I've had the TV checked out and its not the speakers or audio circuitry.  I used RCA jumpers to run the audio through the stereo and still get static.
Any suggestions?  This is the TV controlled by the wife, so I need to get it fixed!
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 01:28:31 PM »

One of the pieces of the puzzle is the problem but what information you have supplied does not lead to the answer. That means you have left something out.

Here is an observation, but it doesn't explain all of your data. Dish has replaced everything of theirs so it's safe to say it's not their system. You have not replaced your TV or the stereo. It is your TV or your stereo. Can you substitute another TV and leave the stereo out of the puzzle for now?
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 01:29:45 PM »

...but the final issue of getting static through the audio on some of the channels and they don't have a clue or the background to determine how to fix it.

This isn't the answer you're looking for as I have limited exposure to the Disk Network concept aside from being blown off by the bastards when I applied for a CSR job a few years ago... But isn't that a digital system?

Like ones and zeroes coming down from the bird and the only analog portion is outboard of the receiver on the yellow, red and white RCA jacks? If you had a weak, distorted or otherwise corrupted signal coming through the LNB you'd see the video pixelate and stutter with silent gaps in the audio. But I can't imagine static on the RCA 'audio outs' while the picture looks good.........

The static is most likely coming from somewhere in the audio setup. Can I assume you've subbed the audio amplifier with something like a boom box with line-in jacks or a headphone amp? If the audio amplifier is something like a surround sound receiver, does it sound OK on broadcast FM or when listening to nothing on an AUX input?

Never change a password on a Friday                
WD4CHP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 03:21:00 PM »

Tell Dish to send a tech out and fix it.

Also tell them that if it isn't fixed you will switch to DirecTV.

You might get a discount.
WD4CHP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 03:37:02 PM »

I forgot to add that you want credit for each day of poor service  Grin

Warn them that if you don't get satisfaction, you will sic your wife on them.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 03:40:07 PM by WD4CHP » Logged
WB4CVB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 07:05:53 PM »

I have tried out a different TV and the static is still there, it seems to be coming through their receiver and not our TV.  The TV plays DVD's and video tapes with good picture and no static on the audio.  It only happens on some of the dish channels, the premium channels seem ok and the static happens on both the RF connectors and the RCA connectors. 
The stereo was not part of the original setup and I only connected it to see if the static would gone, but it was still there.
I have gotten a discount for a couple of months and there have been numerous 'technicians' out to look at the problem but I have come to realize that they are installers not technicians, they don't have any test equipment and no traning in electronics at all.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 08:10:42 PM »

Which type of hookup are you using from Dish box to the TV? 

If HDMI, has it always been the same cable?  If so, try substituting a different known good HDMI cable. 

Also try using a different output/input type, in the way of experimenting to see if the noise is still there or not.

KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 09:51:34 PM »

It only happens on some of the dish channels, the premium channels seem ok
If you really can pin it down to certain channels may be the adjustment of the antenna is to be improved. You also might want them to replace the receiver to see if it is a problem there. Usually digital streams work or don't, digital that is. Static seems to be more a problem of the analog side. Perhaps you should search the web for problems with this particular receiver.
TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 08:24:14 AM »

These are guesses because I'm not familiar with your satellite system:

1) All satellite systems switch automatically between horizontal polarization and vertical, it's done by increasing a DC bias on the RF cable. Are all the problem channels all on one polarization? If this is true then you need to check that DC bias and you need to check the 'skew' on the LNB, this is the amount that the LNB is rotated in its mount.

2) Different channels will be broadcasting video in different resolutions, 720p and 1080, does the problem only occur on one resolution in which case it could be a problem with the decoder box.

3) If you wire a set of headphones directly to the red and white RCA sockets on the back of the box do you hear the interference? If yes then it could be vision on sound or noise.

4) Get yourself a good scope, take the cover off of the satellite decoder box and carefully examine the power supply outputs. A lot of power supplies in satellite boxes use cheap capacitors rather than low ESR types and this can cause no end of problems. 'Grass' on DC supplies mean noise on vision and/or audio.

5) Is the box well ventilated? Weird things can happen when satellite boxes overheat.

Good luck!

Tanakasan
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 09:24:56 AM »

Tell Dish to send a tech out and fix it.

Also tell them that if it isn't fixed you will switch to DirecTV.

You might get a discount.

I think perhaps this might be the best answer.  However, before going nuclear I'd apply the old time "divide and conquer" method of troubleshooting this problem.

Start in the middle.  Replace everything at the end of the cable.  If the problem is there, then run a separate line from the LNB to the receiver.  Make it short and a temporary run.... not through the wall and over hill and dale.  You're just trying to eliminate components.  Not create a permanent installation.

If all of this fails, then go nuclear and take the advice of the above quote.  Enough is enough.  I have Dish and when I call for a technician I get one who knows his stuff.  It might take several days but he gets here and fixes the problem!
WB4CVB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 06:21:14 PM »

I have replaced the receiver 4 times since the problem began.  This last one fixed the video but left the audio.  I have replaced all the cables except for the jumper between the wall and the receiver, it worked fine prior to Dish messing about.  The TV is a SD with a picture tube, one of the last ones before they went entirely to flat screens and all the receivers are SD also.  The main channels with the problem are the 'locals' and QVC (Wife's favorite) a couple of others that we don't watch much also have the static.
I will try it with headphones and see what it sounds like.
I have approached critical mass several times in talking to Dish's customer service and some of there technicians.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: