Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What a jerk!  (Read 1072 times)
W6TRI

Ignore
« on: April 27, 2006, 10:09:57 AM »

I recently had a somewhat disturbing experience that proved to me for the first time that some hams are indeed jerks.

I decided to fire up my old Heathkit HW-9 for kicks and called CQ on 14.060. Not being a CW speed demon I am always careful not to send faster than I can receive (about 13 wpm). A station in Vancouver came back to me at about my speed and we began a qso.

I was surprised when he made some somewhat disparaging comments about QRP ops and even more so when he began sending faster and faster. For the first time ever, I had to send 'pls QRS'. He then slowed down long enough to send "Wow Fred I'm already sending very slow" and then proceeded to slowly crank up his keyer speed to about 40wpm. When he was through (I've no idea what he was carrying on about at that speed!) I simple replied "Good fer u - sri cant cpi that fast - hpe cul when im as good as u - 73 SK" and signed with him. He replied at that point but I just switched my radio off, somewhat in shock.

I've never encountered another ham that has been anything less than helpful and willing to accomodate someone of lesser ability than them.  I guess it just goes to show that there's a jerk in every crowd.  Fortunately I've been around long enough to not let this idiot turn me off of ham radio, but I'd hate to think of a beginner to ham radio getting stuck with this guy as his first CW contact.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences on the bands?

Fred W6TRI
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 11:12:41 PM »

Yep, I've had a similar experience.  On phone I was once told I was 59+10 and had a booming signal.  I thanked the other op warmly and let him know that I was QRP running 10W SSB.  He then said he "doesn't work QRPers" and disappeared.  That was that.

It takes all kinds, I guess.

Caity
K7VO/9
KA3NXN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 04:31:42 AM »

Turn on 75 Meter phone on any evening and break into the little groups that form up & down the band. They won't be as kind as the guy that you had the QSO with in Canada. For this reason I don't even have an antenna that covers down to the 75/80 meter bands. Unless you are part of their little clicks, don't even bother. They will curse you out like an Alcatraz inmate.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 08:24:31 AM »

Fred and Caity,
What can one say?  You've both encountered obnoxious characters.  However, what makes this hobby so great is that such experiences are pretty rare.  Fred, I really like the way you responded to the person who would not QRS for you.  

72/73,
Chuck  NI0C
N6PEH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 03:35:52 PM »

They were probably one of the many CW Op posers that use a computer to send and receive their code.
N5EAT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 08:29:06 PM »

I heard an op on 80 meters announce that "if you can't break my squelch, you can't talk to me".  Apparently some folks were making his receiver crackle a bit and it was bothering him.....
AE6RF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 11:55:02 PM »

If the guy didn't talk to QRPers why the heck was he answering a CQ on .060 which is a QRP calling freq???

Schmuck.

-Donald
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2006, 05:22:52 PM »

There's all kinds of people out there.  The best thing to do, when facing a jerk, is to turn around and walk away if you can.

You'll meet more nice people on the bands, than jerks.

I worked a Real Big Gun recently on 40m -- he was running close to a kilowatt into a Sterba Curtain antenna (I figure it covered about 1/4 square mile!).

I was running an FT-817 with an 8'-high dipole at 5 watts.

Both of us were pleased with the QSO.

KG9HV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2006, 06:36:42 PM »

It's a shame that there are people like that on the
bands, but it is fact that they exist. He probably
was using a computer cw program and was just out to
stir up trouble. Some people live miserable lives
and get a kick out of making others as miserable as
they are. In some sick way it gives them a boost.
You did the right thing to break off the qso. For
every LID on cw there is 100 on SSB. Stay around
the FISTS frequencies to work some really good friendly ops. Don't let someone like that effect
you cw fun...
John KG9HV
AE6RO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2006, 04:14:53 PM »

Well I can't say I've run into anything like that when I was on 20, but on 40 M CW people seem really nice.
  Give it a try!
WB4TJH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2006, 06:06:41 PM »

In my 36 years on HF, I have run into a few jackasses myself. But it seems that with the ham population getting older and older, the number of older jackasses is increasing, especially on 75 meters. I put the emphasis on the second half of the word jackasses. If you listen to some of the conversations on 75, and even some on 20, you will hear filthy language, sexual inuendoes, dirty jokes, and just plain bad taste and manners becoming common. I just read on the FCC enforcement page on the ARRL website that several hams had been cited for sending obscene photos over slow scan TV. I am getting to point where I spend more and more time on VHF fm talking to my local friends because of the garbage I encounter on HF. I guess is it just the sign of the times. It's a real pity.  
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 05:05:30 AM »

I just wish some of the crowd that keep saying 'you don't hear stuff that is on 2 meters on HF' would read this thread.  Like some of us have been saying all along, there are obnoxious jerks on just about any amateur band--they're not just on 50 mhz and above.  73!
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 11:40:32 AM »

> They were probably one of the many CW Op posers
> that use a computer to send and receive their code.

WHAT?Huh  Does this mean if I order a keyboard keyer from MorseX that I suddenly will be a "poser" and not a real CW op?  I'm at the point now where I can copy in my head faster than I can send clean code.  I know my fist is sloppy at that speed.  I also know several long time CW ops who have gone to sending by keyboard for similar reasons.  Does that make them less accomplished CW ops?

Listen to a CW contest sometimes.  It's almost all memory keyers (clue: a memory keyer is a limited little computer) and canned responses.

The only thing wrong with receiving CW by computer is that I haven't found a decoder program that is nearly as good as the one between my ears.  

Caity
K7VO
AE6RF

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2006, 03:02:44 PM »

>> They were probably one of the many CW Op posers
>> that use a computer to send and receive their code.
>
>WHAT?Huh Does this mean if I order a keyboard keyer from
> MorseX that I suddenly will be a "poser" and not a real
>CW op?

Reading comprehension check...

The OP says "send _and_ receive."

If somebody uses both a computer to send AND receive CW without being able to copy, at whatever speed, in their head, yes, they're a poser.

Now... Does the shoe fit?

Not even close, right?

Even when I wsa just barely learning the code I was a better decoder than any of the free software out there...

No need for ruffled feathers.

73 de Donald
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2006, 11:43:15 AM »

Actually, if someone can't copy code in their head but does so with a computer I don't call them a poser either.  They are simply using a different method to copy that wasn't available at one time.  There is NOTHING wrong with copying CW by computer other that the fact that it isn't terribly reliable.  To someone who does that CW is just another digital mode.  Wait a minute.... CW *IS* just another digital mode.  In fact, it was the first digital mode.  The fact that many of us can copy it in our heads is neither here nor there.

The fact that someone copies by computer does NOT reflect on whether or not they are a good op.  The fact that someone is a jerk has nothing to do with how they send or receive.  I've known some very capable CW ops in my time who were real jerks.  I've also known people who never learned CW who are wonderful human beings.  My point... which seems to have been missed... is that there is no correlation.

There is nothing wrong with embracing newer technology... or not... as you see fit.

Caity
K7VO
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: