Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile Antenna Troubleshooting Help!  (Read 406 times)
KK4HOK

Ignore
« on: April 07, 2012, 07:53:22 PM »

I have a Hustler Model MX-270B antenna on my car.  I have the antenna wire running along the side of the car, then up to the front.  It seems to have zero reception at all.  I had my handheld scanner in the car, and was able to pick up a signal on a frequency driving down the road, but tuned to that on my HT attached to the antenna, and nothing came in at all, even holding down the monitor button to take the squelch out of the equation.

1st - Is it possible that running the antenna wire parallel to a 12v wire could cause this to happen?  I have other equipment wired in the back of my car, and I'm 99% sure that the power wire is ran on the same side of the car as where I have the antenna wire ran.

I also have on there a PL259 to BNC cable on the end of the Hustler antenna.  The coupler is under the dash, so it's possibly up near where all the fuses are for the car -- would this cause possibly interference with the antenna and cause it not to work at all?  Or is it possibly a defective cable?

Just trying to get some thoughts of where to start with the troubleshooting on this without having to take it 100% out of the car and starting all over again.  I appreciate any assistance!
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 05:48:24 AM »

Running the coax near the 12V wire will not cause this.  Assuming the antenna is OK, something between the rig and the antenna is either shorted or open.

Dick  AD4U
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: