About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ft 897d  (Read 849 times)
G4REK

Ignore
« on: April 07, 2012, 09:37:53 AM »

Wonder if a 897d owner could perform a simple test for me ...when i switch my 897d radio on or off there is a very short dc voltage across the HF socket..... so with rf power at minimum and radio on HF  band say 7 megs   .....meter set on dc low voltage range and test prods across hf socket does anyone get this brief dc voltage   when radio is turned off and on Huh??
              thanks jim g4rek
KB1GTX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 11:33:27 AM »

How fast is the pulse,, vom or oscope fast?
G8JNJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 11:36:47 AM »

Hi,

Sorry I haven't got my 897 in front of me. But it sounds like something to do with the ATAS 100 / 120 screwdriver antenna. Which operates by by means of DC on the antenna coax.

But can you check if the ATAS mode is on or off (Menu item 085) ? Page 39 of the handbook.

http://www.yaesu.co.uk/files/FT-897_Operators_Manual.pdf

If you are not using an ATAS antenna it should be off. This may (or may not) fix the problem.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ

www.g8jnj.webs.com

KB2CPW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 12:12:49 PM »

A small voltage is present on hf jack at turn on  due to the atas function as stated above. Normally this will pass around 12v to raise the antenna and about 8V to lower it. When turning the rig on a small Dc voltage is sent up to the antenna. Why the reason yaesu does this is unclear but it may take a small reading.of current to see if the atas is there. Normal though... you can see if the atas function. Is turned on in the menu.
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 08:28:04 PM »

This is probably completely off base, but I seem to recall somewhere hearing about a periodic DC voltage used to keep relay contacts in good order.
I don't claim this is related to this effect, but it's a slow weekend and I haven't posted for a while.
Just thought I would add a different wrinkle to the replies so far.

Who knows, maybe I hit a home run against the odds.

73s
G4REK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 05:01:15 AM »

Hi,

Sorry I haven't got my 897 in front of me. But it sounds like something to do with the ATAS 100 / 120 screwdriver antenna. Which operates by by means of DC on the antenna coax.

But can you check if the ATAS mode is on or off (Menu item 085) ? Page 39 of the handbook.

If you are not using an ATAS antenna it should be off. This may (or may not) fix the problem.

Regards,
Hi,

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ

www.g8jnj.webs.com

Okay guys will check that out today
      thanks Jim

Martin - G8JNJ

www.g8jnj.webs.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: