Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: learning CW and visiting boston in October.  (Read 370 times)
DAVEL831

Ignore
« on: August 24, 2006, 06:12:08 AM »

hi all
      Well i have been learning the code for about three months now but still want to get my speed up. I have been using the ARRL cds and also a few programmes but like a few people have said on here i think it is discipline to learn everything in 3 months which is something i dont have hi hi. With a busy job and kids and wife etc etc.

Well my question is this does anybody know any way i can increase my speed on sending and listening and also i am coming to boston in october so i would like to visit a ham radio shop to buy anything for CW to help my continue whilst i am there on vacation, perhaps a MFJ-418 for example?

Anyway 72 and 73 to you all hope to qso with you in the future .

Dave was M3NCB now 2E0NCB
JCRD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 06:54:26 AM »

Hi

I have family in Boston and always visit the Ham Radio Outlet store in Salem, New Hampshire - probably around 45 mins north of Boston - really easy to get to, especially if you have sat nav in your car!

Think I'm right in saying the sales tax is less than in Mass too.

Anyway, it's a great shop with very nice staff - I think the locals call it the candy store!

As for CW, I'm learning too and have a weekly lesson on the radio with my local radio club which helps, also I have a friend in Edinburgh who learning too and we have "live" QSO's which is great practice too.

Regards,

James
VE1IO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 08:10:23 AM »

If you plan on getting a MFJ 418 then test it before you leave the shop.  Wine was busted when I got it.
BTW, it takes a 9V battery...
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 11:05:42 PM »

DAVEL831 wrote, "Well my question is this does anybody know any way i can increase my speed on sending and listening...

...buy anything for CW to help"

Dave,

The one thing you can't buy at any price is experience. All of the so-called "training aids" are nice for learning, but nothing beats getting on the air and making contacts.

Good luck!
Scott N0IU
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: