Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio Mart - K4TEC - Be careful - Long read but worth the reading  (Read 18322 times)
W5ZZT

Ignore
« on: April 08, 2012, 10:44:37 AM »

Guys,

I just had an experience with Martyn at Radio Mart I need to share with you.  Let me say that my intention as I told Martyn was not to publicize our dealing but even after what you are about to read he continues he ways.  I want to make sure that know one else has an experience like mine.

Here’s what happened:

I decided to downsize my shack.  I contacted Martyn about a month ago and he bought my Yaesu FTDX-5000D and he paid a fare price and paid quickly.  I might say that whoever bought it got a very nice radio.  This was not the first piece of equipment I had sold him and the transactions always went well so he had gained my trust.

I contacted him again a couple of weeks ago to sell some more equipment.  I offered a Mint Alpha 8100 and a Mint Palstar Auto tuner.  When I say Mint I mean Mint.  Just as new in the original factory box with all accessories.

Martyn and I came to an agreement on price.  He was giving me cash plus what he said was a Mint AL80B amplifier.  I told Martyn that the one on his site that I was buying did not look Mint.  He said that one was sold and he would send me a Mint one.  I said as long as it was Mint in the original boxes we could do the deal.  He wrote back saying “Sure, let’s do the deal”.

Martyn promptly paid me and shipped his amp.  He was very evasive on how the amp was shipped.  He said he had left the tube in the amp so I knew now I was not getting the box for the tube.  I smelled a rat and decided to ask around. I was supposed to ship my equipment on Monday but after research and talking to locals in his state I decided to hold my equipment one day until his amp arrived on Tuesday.  That turned out to be the best decision I have every made and I want to thank all those who warned me and suggested I be careful.

On Tuesday I received a box that was not the original box.  It was a very used plain brown.  I figured it was just an outer box and proceed to open it.  What I found inside was another very used brown with all sorts of trash packed around it.  I opened this inner box and couldn’t believe my eyes.  Here is what I received:

AL80B in fare condition.  Two screws were missing in the case, the face around the band switch was marked in pencil marks, the band switch knob was falling off, a bad copy of a manual in a loose in a folder, and no original box. 

I sent Martyn an email telling him about the condition of the amp.  I told him I would check it out and get back with him.  I was planning on trying to work out some kind of adjustment with him.  While I was looking over the amp he did try to call me on the phone and I did not answer it.  I wanted to look further at what he had sent me.  He then emailed me and told me NOT to plug it in.  Just send it back.  Before I could answer him he called my local police department and told them I had stolen his money and equipment.  Can you believe the nerve of this guy?  What a nut case.

Remember at this point I had disassembled my shack, removed the transformer from the amp, pack it and the turner like new in its original factory boxes and had them ready to ship. 

I shipped his amp back and have him a total refund minus $15 for tape and gas that were used to pack my equipment up.  I thought this was very generous on my part.  He sent me the funds as paypal gift to avoid fees.  He also cuts the weight in have on all the items he ships and gets away with it.  In other words he takes advantage wherever he can.

So, WHY I am sharing this with you?  I just looked at his web site and he has another AL80B advertised as mint.  And to make it better it’s the same pictures of the amp he told me he doesn’t have anymore.  I guess he just can’t learn.  He can’t be trusted. Avoid him at all costs. 

I am sure Martyn will jump in here with some dumb ass remarks.  I will not respond to him and ask that everyone ignore his responses.  I do not want to get in a pissing contest with him.  I merely stated the facts and you can use this information or not as you choose.

I am sorry for writing a book but if it helps one person it will be worth it.

Thanks for reading and 73’s

Harold
WA5ZZT
Richardson, TX
NK6Q

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 03:44:27 PM »

After all the negative remarks about Martyn and Radio Mart on this site and others, I'm surprised any ham would do business with him at all.
WB6VHK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 09:12:48 AM »

WA5ZZT :

Sorry to hear about your "deal" with Martyn. I think the best thing you can do at this point is file a complaint with the Kentucky BBB, They will probably not do anything but at least it will document with them what happened.

Last week on QTH.Com radio-mart ( Martyn Allison ) sent me a "PM" ...this is a "cut and paste" :

To:    WB6VHK
Posted:    Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:51 pm
Subject:    Re: Radio Mart    Quote message
AND OF COURSE YOU HAVE ALL THE PROOF IN THE WORLD.

lIKE HAVE I EVER BEEN TO COURT IN MY LIFE EXCEPT FOR A DIVORCE EVER,

YOUR JUST A PIECE TURD ON MY SHOE, SOME ONE TO PLAY WITH WHEN I GET BORED.

MAY YOU GET WHAT YOU DESERVE ONE DAY YOU POOR EXCUSE FOR A MAN.

73S POND SCUM

This is the TRUE Martyn Allison shining through for all to see. He wants so badly to be seen as a "professional" business, right up there with HRO, AES, etc... but then writes letters like this to people ?

He boasts on his website that he is a "major importer" and now carries Heil mic's, LDG antenna tuners, etc.. You should also send a email to Heil Sound and LDG ( both have websites ) and tell them what kind od a dealer they have in Kentucky. If enough people do this they will get the point and drop him like a hot potato.      
WB6VHK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 01:32:12 PM »

I know they won't do anything but it WILL register a unresolved complaint ( he already has one ) and when people go to Kentucky BBB they will see it.
K7CB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 11:08:59 AM »

This isn't the first time I've heard about bad dealings with this character...and it isn't the second time either so I suspect it won't be the last.  There are several complaints out there so I know I won't do business with him....ever.
WA1RKT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 09:35:35 AM »

Good afternoon, Harold.

I can't really comment very much on Martyn; I have had a few small transactions with him (largest was a Collins PM-2 power supply that I bought for $160; it worked fine and still works fine) and they all went well with no complaints.

Reason I'm writing is... if you still have the Palstar autotuner I would be interested.  Please reply off-list to my call sign (WA1RKT) at comcast dot net.

I would have sent this to you off-list but I could not find an email address for you.

Thanks, and my condolences for your bad experience with Radio Mart.  Like I said, my personal experiences have all been positive but I have read many negative reports.

Rick WA1RKT
Londonderry, NH
Catch me on 14.300 MHz Intercon / MMSN most days
KA4KOE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 07:54:21 AM »

Look up the Eham Article "Inertia is Your Enemy". The R388 was packed by Martyn. I sent it back via UPS and did not take it home.

Philip
VE9AAE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 03:45:08 PM »

Hmmmmm, that does suck having to go through what you have but posting does help remind us of the risks.

KA4KOE, as an aside,  thanks for the reference to your "Inertia" article.
It Reminded me of when my mom would send me care packages overseas (unfortunately never ham gear), she would use the old rule-of-thumb from when they would send parcels to troops in the Second World War, you had to be able to actually stand on the parcel, otherwise no-go.
I can certainly say it showed ingenuity and efficient use of space!

73 de VE9AAE.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 08:17:50 PM »

yup, classic radio-mart bravo sierra....

"I own several companies, one being a spare parts organisation, you can find that company by entering a search on ilove2cell "

from what is left of his ebay about me page.

http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=radio-mart
NP2MJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 04:52:14 AM »

I was recently sent by Radio-Mart a Kenwood TS-2000 purchased by another ham for remote use. When it arrived it powered up but that was about it. There wasno frequency indication on the lower bands and the U/L CW error message was obvious. The unit was said to be working by the vendor Radio-Mart but after sending it to Kenwood for service they made an evaluation and a quote for $1600 to get the radio working. I tried to contact Martyn Allison of Radio-Mart but he was non-responsive. Even telephone calls to his so called business in Georgetown, KY went to voice recorder. I now read that others have had serious unresolved problems with Radio- Mart. The person who had paid for the radio was from the Ukraine and had to scrape up every last dime to buy it from Radio-Mart by Postal Money Order which was cashed. Accordingly I want to pursue legal avenues in order to get resolution. There are also potential criminal charges that could be levied....but I need the help of anyone who has had similar experiences with Radio-Mart out of Georgetown, KY. If you are such a person please send me a private e-mail at herbs@vitelcom.net and share with me your experiences. Your information will be kept confidential and shared only with the U.S. Attorney in the Eastern District of Kentucky for further action. If there is enough indication of serious mail and or wire fraud that office has assured me they will proceed.

Thanks for your help and 73

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ
WY4J

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 11:01:37 AM »

This bottom feeder has been ripping hams every way he can for many years. He is out there in the open and does not make an effort to hide the fact that he will tear your guts out every chance you give him. He actually invites you to be ripped off. He is still in business and apparently doing very well. Now, what idiot will purchase from a business that openly promotes the fact that you will get ripped off? Maybe I've been in this hobby too long or I'm just getting old but I'm slowly beginning to think that ham stands for, "habitual abnormal moron."
K2BEW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 04:31:56 AM »

Well I had a different experience with Martyn and Radio Mart.
I was searching specifically for a used Yaesu FT-450 and found one on Radio-Mart's website with no knowledge of others past experiences, good or bad.
Comparing to other FT-450's I had come across for sale it was a good price and what I was looking for, so I bought it.

It was in the original box and then double boxed and well packed. Also included were the original owners manual and cords.
The condition of the radio was excellent, as described, and I have used it daily as my regular radio for over 6 months now with no problems, and am very happy with it.
Shipping was also fast.
Tom
N2BEW
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 04:38:55 AM by N2BEW » Logged
AA9NN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 09:52:43 AM »

Sorry to hear about some of the bad dealings with K4TEC,  Me on the other hand have no problems what so ever. Anyone who knows me knows I like to try and find that perfect radio! I bought and traded about 5 different radios with him and all have been as described. and for the most part good deals. I did pay alittle more for a Ten Tec Orion II but it was flawless! he always responded to emails and all the gear showed up as promised. To me hes OK and a decent trader/seller of gear

Jim AA9NN
aa9nn@msn.com
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 05:47:28 AM »

There may well be examples of transactions where RadioMart has done things right--and fairly, but for every ONE of those, there are perhaps THREE OR FOUR DOZEN where he has not.

There are so many differnet threads on this site alone, some with hundreds of examples of ripoffs, that I'm surprised that RadioMart is still in business.  I guess PT Barnum got it right--a sucker born every minute.

Just do yourself a favor.  Don't do business with that company or person unless you are willing to take a BIG chance.
K0KNX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 04:14:54 PM »

If he buys from you, make sure you send with signature required. If not, he will claim he never received the item (we all know he actually did) and then you must return the money and figure out some kind of claim with UPS or whomever. He's has done this twice with me, it worked once but not the second time.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: