Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ft-1000D or Pro III  (Read 362 times)
K9MRD

Ignore
« on: August 30, 2006, 08:38:14 AM »

I am considering a new rig.  I operate 80% CW (chase DX) and 20% SSB. I have read all of the specs and reviews, but wondered how current users feel about the FT-1000D and PRO III. Not considering price or power out, which rig would you prefer and why?

Thanks for any comments.

Wayne
AI4NS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 07:19:18 PM »

If you operate 80% CW, why not a rig that is optimized for CW? Get a full tilt Elecraft K2 for about $1800.

Mike
AI4NS
KN7T

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 12:03:43 PM »

Agree - a K2 is tough to beat for a CW oriented rig - it's probably hands down the best bang for the buck radio out there.  If money is not a big consideration, you might also want to look at Ten Tec's Orion II.  It has superb filtering and true QSK for the CW afficionado.  
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 08:10:43 AM »

I'm not a current (or past) user of either the 1000D or the PRO III, but since the responses so far did not address the question you asked, so I'll give you my opinion.

The 1000D is probably the best of the analog world, while the Pro III is the best of the DSP world.  I'd be very happy, I think, with either radio.  Many of the world's top DX'ers use these radios.  My own preference would be the 1000D-- because I still prefer analog filtering, and because it is a beefier radio (I'm of the old school that likes the Collins 75A4 and National's HRO series.)

The K-2, of course, is no slouch; however it is in a different class from the radios you asked about, which offer dual receive.  

Chuck  NI0C
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: