Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Online Petition for FCC to void HOA prohibitions on outdoor antennas  (Read 17987 times)
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2012, 04:01:53 PM »

I'd be more worried about the website that sponsors this petition drive, and many others. You are giving away information that can be used and sold or given to 3rd parties to send you spam!

By all means, don't sign it if you feel that way. You can still go to the FCC site and file formal comments if the issue concerns you.  I doubt you'll have to worry about spam from them.

BTW - we have 738 signatures as of 8:00 PM EDST Tuesday 4/17/2012
AI7AZ

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2012, 09:29:17 AM »

I am always confused by this issue. Do not home buyers choose to purchase homes in neighborhoods with HOA's and voluntarily sign the agreement?

This is a common misconception.  In most areas of the country, it's increasingly difficult to find a home that isn't covered by some sort of CC&R or other deed restriction that prohibits antennas of all types, and it's fair to say that home buyers now have little choice but to live in an HOA community.  And, by the way, that "contract" is a non-negotiable instrument. 

HOAs are now so prevalent and their CC&Rs so increasingly invasive that the ability of federally licensed ham radio operators to provide services in times of emergency is vastly impaired.  It's long overdue for the FCC to do its job and put an end to the discrimination against hams.

Steve, AI7AZ
Tucson, AZ
AI7AZ

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2012, 09:55:41 AM »

I agree, one issue is some amateurs have an entitlement mentality. They want unrestricted authority by-right to put up whatever monstrosity of an antenna system they can without regard for their neighbors. Many simply do not care how offensive their property looks.  CC&Rs prevent that, it a contract people agree to honor when they CHOOSE to purchase the property, and I believe they should honor that contract, or move where there are no restrictions.

Many non-hams move to developments because that is the type of community they are seeking, they don't want to see junk cars in the yard, trash piles on the side of the house, and towers or big antennas on their neighbor's property.  Why should hams be allowed to spoil that for other people in the development, especially since we really are a very small group of the U.S. population?

It all comes down to priorities, how important is amateur radio to you?  If it's important enough, you will choose to live where there are no CC&Rs. I find it ridiculous that people choose to purchase a property with restrictions, then cry foul because they can't violate the rules they agreed to respect when they affixed their signature.

If you want to live in a HOA controlled area, get creative, build a stealth antenna system.  Yes it's a compromise, but contacts can be made.

I agree with your premise but respectfully disagree with your conclusion.  While it is true that a small percentage of hams wouldn't hesitate to put up a ridiculous-looking antenna system in the midst of a suburban neighborhood, most of us are protective of our own property values, and those of our neighbors.  And most of us don't have the cash for towers and beams, nor do we want to worry about personal liability issues should everything come crashing down in high winds.

Case in point:  think back to the '60s and '70s, when HOAs were virtually non-existent.  There were few restrictions, and towers and beam antennas were not popping up all over the place.

The CC&R hysteria against ham radio antennas is unreasonable, illogical, and downright invasive and abusive.  It's the result of the prejudices of HOAs, at least partially driven by the small number of hams who have attempted to erect eyesore antennas and thumb their noses at the CC&Rs.  The fact is that we don't need towers and beams to effectively communicate, most of us don't have the cash for that kind of arrangement anyway, but we do need a little bit more than a wire hidden in the attic.

If the FCC were to entirely abolish CC&R covenants against ham radio antennas, I seriously doubt we'd have a community crisis with towers popping up all over the place.

Steve, AI7AZ
Tucson, AZ
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2012, 08:12:45 AM »

900 signatures at 9:00 AM 4/21/12 !!

N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2012, 02:15:52 PM »

1000 petition signatures have been received as of 2025Z 4/22/12.  That was my goal when I started the petition.  I've been beating this horse long enough.  If someone else wants to take a turn with the horse, be my guest!

Thanks to all of you who signed.

If you haven't signed yet or are curious as to  what it's all about, click on the link below.

http://www.change.org/petitions/federal-communications-commission-void-antenna-restrictions-by-homeowner-s-associations-and-developers
W3DBB

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2012, 06:38:47 PM »

Case in point:  think back to the '60s and '70s, when HOAs were virtually non-existent.  There were few restrictions, and towers and beam antennas were not popping up all over the place.

The CC&R hysteria against ham radio antennas is unreasonable, illogical, and downright invasive and abusive.  It's the result of the prejudices of HOAs, at least partially driven by the small number of hams who have attempted to erect eyesore antennas and thumb their noses at the CC&Rs.  The fact is that we don't need towers and beams to effectively communicate, most of us don't have the cash for that kind of arrangement anyway, but we do need a little bit more than a wire hidden in the attic.
I have no data other than a strong gut feeling the hams have been unfairly tarred with the same broad brush as certain scofflaw CBers. The latter group, mostly back in the 1970's and the 1980's, created a lot of RFI in their neighborhoods by running illegal power amplifiers without the benefit of "good amateur practice". In some areas the interference got so bad local police started getting involved to keep peace in the neighborhood. Local governments were passing laws to try to thwart illegal CB operation because of the perception the Feds were too slow to act. IIRC there was later a court decision giving local police the authority to intercede in these cases. I believe there was at least one state, Florida, that attempted to pass a state law to largely curtail  any non-broadcast, non-commercial, non-governmental, or non-public safety radio transmission. That one got the ARRL's attention in a hurry.

Also think there are very few hams who would trash a decent place and lower the value of their property, let alone that of their neighbors.

The hams are paying the price for past bad behavior of a different group.

I don't know what to think of FCC Public Notice DA 12-523. One of these days I'm going to tally the number of questions asked in this public notice. I don't see how it is possible for an individual respondee to answer all of these questions, moreover I'm unaware of much in the way of concrete data to definitively answer a large number of these questions. The 'everything but the kitchen sink' approach in 12-523 creates the potential for a large number of anecdotal responses. What good is that?

Has anyone else thought this, or found 12-523 to be the least bit odd?

The study of ARS communications in emergencies and impediments thereof has been mandated by the passage and signing into law of Public Law 112-96, the Middle Class Tax Relief and Job Creation Act of 2012. A reasonable person might ask what one thing has to do with the other. It was not the FCC's idea to go down this road. This may account for what seems to be a rather lackluster approach on the part of the Commission.

N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2012, 08:01:43 AM »

1123 petition signatures at 1500Z 4/23
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2012, 03:39:16 PM »

1400 petition signatures as of 2230Z 4/23/12.  Keep em coming!

AI7AZ

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2012, 08:09:45 AM »

I have no data other than a strong gut feeling the hams have been unfairly tarred with the same broad brush as certain scofflaw CBers. The latter group, mostly back in the 1970's and the 1980's, created a lot of RFI in their neighborhoods by running illegal power amplifiers without the benefit of "good amateur practice".

You've made a good point.  Not to knock our CB brethren (I used to be one in the '70s), but John Q. Public frequently puts CBers and Hams into the same mold.  Most people (including some very intelligent people that build neighborhoods and sit on HOA boards) are totally ignorant of the fact that amateur radio operators are federally licensed, have to pass exams, and don't say "10-4 good buddy".  They have no idea what RACES or ARES are, and their attitudes are partially shaped by the stereotypes they see in some dumb movies or oddball news items about hams that electrocute themselves by working too close to power lines.

If the FCC actually does something about the CC&R issue that's decimating our service, I intend to approach my HOA with an offer to be the community emergency communications coordinator and start setting an example of what "good amateur practices" are all about.

Steve, AI7AZ
Vail, AZ
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2012, 10:11:52 AM »

Over 2000 petition signatures received at 1700Z 4/27/12

If you haven't yet signed, check out the link below...

http://www.change.org/petitions/federal-communications-commission-void-antenna-restrictions-by-homeowner-s-associations-and-developers

N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2012, 02:56:45 PM »

4/29/12  -  2200 petition signatures collected.
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2012, 04:27:02 AM »

2300 online petition signatures collected as of 5/2/12.  You have 15 more days to sign the petition if you have not already done so.
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2012, 09:05:13 AM »

2501 Online petition signatures at 0930 EDST 5/9/12

N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2012, 02:23:08 PM »

2600 signatures on the online petition to the FCC at 5 PM EDST, May 10.

If you're interested in signing, check it out at the link below...
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: