Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rookie Roundup - Contesting software  (Read 2361 times)
W4XEN

Ignore
« on: April 09, 2012, 02:30:56 PM »

Can't wait for this weekend...it's contest time! I am looking for some advice though.

Is there a computer program in existence that can:

a) Log QSOs
b) Read/Connect to radio for vitals (i.e. freq, mode and in this case an IC-7000)
c) Output Cabrillo logs
d) Not a steep steep learning curve.

Before you say HRD, I already use this program and appreciate it fully. It's a great program, however, I'm looking for something a little less "consuming" - HRD takes 2 full windows on my laptop which I will be using for my portable station, 3 windows if I do digital. But I plan on mostly doing phone and want something a bit simpler. I really enjoy HRD, don't get me wrong, but just asking if there are more minimalist programs out there. Thanks!

Caleb / W4XEN
K9NW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 08:04:42 AM »

I'd start with looking at N1MM but I don't know right off hand if it supports Rookie Roundup.  It does cover a gazillion other contests, though, so no doubt there's something in there that could be made to work.  It does the other stuff you're looking for.  And it's free!!

There is often talk about the learning curve for N1MM.  Indeed, it's a very feature-rich program but it's still easy to log QSOs in the most basic sense.  You don't have to know and understand every feature it's capable of in order to do this.

Have fun!
N7VEA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 08:20:08 AM »

RRSSB looks like the right contest in N1MM.  Simple to use for a phone contest, with or without CAT control.
KC2ZPK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 12:25:37 PM »

N1MM here as well. Which reminds me, i need to upgrade to latest.

John
KC2ZPK.com - A work in progress
KC2ZPK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 05:31:31 AM »

I know it's late in the game, but this year they allow up to 5 single ops to be a team, and compete for a combined score.
If anyone wants to form a team, let me know.

John
KC2ZPK.com - A work in progress
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 03:33:06 PM »

I finally got around to setting up N1MM for the Rookie Roundup contest. I was VERY intimidated by the 750 page (yes, SEVEN HUNDRED AND FIFTY!!!) page manual. N1MM is about the most unintuitive software I have EVER seen, but I persisted, got it talking to my rig, and once I got the RR contest properly loaded, I found it quite easy and even fun to use. The spotting feature is quite nice. The only sad part is that I could only be on the air for 45 minutes of the contest.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: