Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guy wires on a tiled roof  (Read 1562 times)
VK6ZA

Ignore
« on: April 09, 2012, 08:10:41 PM »

Hi all, just seeking some advice.

I am about to install a HF antenna on the roof of my house. I have a lightweight antenna that will go onto a short mast (approx` 2 meters long). Given the location, I could probably get away without guying it but I would still like to guy it just to be on the safe side. Problem is that how do you attach guy wires to a tiled roof? I have seen masts on top of houses with guys attached but I didn't`t pay much attention to how it`s done. I`m assuming that they would have to be attached to the roof beams somehow but I`m not sure. If anyone could give me some advice, it would be very much appreciated.  Grin

Regards

Adrian
N4JTE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 05:23:37 PM »

Well not sure if you clay or concrete tile but neither one will be easy to use as a guy anchor. The tile is not the waterproof part, it's the roof below, probaly some kind of torch down felt, impossible to waterproof unless you remove the tile, not very nice looking.
I suggest with such a short mast tie the guy lines into the facia board at the roof rafter ends with some 3 inch galvanized lag bolts.
Regards,
Bob
WB4SPT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 05:10:48 AM »

I would tend to discourage you from disturbing a tile roof with penetrations.  I have a concrete tile roof and there are a couple of points to be made.  Bob is correct about the difficulty in resealing the underlayment below the tile. It won't take more than one roofer visit to pay off a couple of Rohn tower sections that can be secured to the side of the house without violating your roof water barrier.  Also, with a HF antenna just above your roof, you are tempting RFI issues with home electronics. You will be irradiating your home wiring in the attic and be closer to TV's, stereos, appliances, etc.
VK6ZA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 05:34:27 PM »

Thanks for the replies guys. I may have to have the guy wires going down to the ground as there really isn`t anywhere else to attatch them to but I have seen houses with tiled rooves with a TV mast on top and the guy wires going down to the middle of the roof. Maybe there`s some kind of a bracket that goes under the tile and attatches to the beam underneath or something. I`ll have to investigate it further. My previous antenna was quite close to the roof and didn`t cause any RFI problems even with 1 kw output so, hopefully this one won`t either.
Thanks again for your advice gentlemen 73`s.
Adrian
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: