The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-817ND - Production restart status - Post your rumor info here  (Read 12623 times)
W8ADQ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 07:26:50 PM »

Wow, the FT-817ND is *cute* and having read so much about it, I still was surprised to see how tiny they managed to make something that does so much so tiny!  Well, it was a big week for me.  I got my Ft817 and my new Extra class call AK4UV.

Jack AK4UV (was KK4HZP)
K7LZR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 01:26:21 AM »

Jack, congrats on both your license upgrade and your new FT-817 Smiley. I've been using an FT-817nd for many years now and just can't imagine ham radio without one. The little rig has been used at home, mobile, on hikes, SOTA activations, and has even been across the USA and back with me on a recent 7000mi. trip where it operated from several motel rooms.

Looks like you've had yours for about 10 days now so I'm pretty sure that you've seen that it was worth the wait. Again, congrats!

- Darrell/KA7BTV
W8ADQ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2015, 08:43:59 PM »

Hi,

It's been three years and it still looks brand new and works great.  Big fun in a small package.  I use 2300 mAH cells in the battery tray for longer self contained operation.  I am looking at some of the new 3000 mAH cellls.  I hope to one day get a 2 KHz Inrad sourced Collins mechanical filter for the option slot.  I noticed on some of the major Internet shopping sites that there are TCXO modules (Chinese ?) that are supposed to be drop ins for the FT-8x7 series at very low prices, around US $25.  Has anyone tried one?

Jack W8ADQ
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2015, 04:39:17 AM »

I have seen them for other brands too. I have not heard anything bad and may be actual item that has not been remarked for OEM

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computing technology and change with it or cling to past and fall further behind everyday....
G4SLW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2015, 02:21:32 AM »

Jack, I've had an FT-817ND for about 8 years from new and although this might be the wrong place to post this, I would just caution you to be Very Careful when inserting and removing the 12v power cable into its socket. Maybe the socket has been improved since, I don't know, but mine wore out only after using the correct plug and it caused me no end of trauma (!) in repairing. I constructed my own Elecraft K2 so I should be able to solder, but I so easily botched this job by stripping the solder pads! Aagh, horror! After endless effort I managed to find a suitable place to solder a short (pig) lead that now emerges through the original hole on back panel and I used power pole connectors. I managed to save my radio, but so nearly lost it. All that said, I like this transceiver a lot. Many people say horrible things about it but for the price and what it offers; as a Basic performance level transceiver; it's perfect for taking on holidays etc. I added the DSP (by BHI) which although only just fitting inside the case if you have the CW filter installed, does transform the audio for general listening. Regards, Dominic G4SLW
KG7OOM

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2015, 05:49:45 PM »

Was production ever stopped or put on hold? I want this radio. Smiley

Rob
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2015, 10:01:41 AM »

Was production ever stopped or put on hold? I want this radio. Smiley

Readily available all over the place.

I see there's currently a $60 rebate available so it's $599: http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-007097
KG7OOM

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2015, 04:56:31 PM »

WB2WIK,

yeah, saw that rebate so do not rub it in   Grin Grin Grin

I really want the radio but is a want thing and not a need thing at this time. I'll get one but right now is on my queue as other things are at higher priority.

Rob
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: