Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 20 meter dipole (with or without a balun) ?  (Read 1244 times)
WALTERB

Ignore
« on: April 18, 2012, 11:47:31 AM »

I believe I should be using a balun (4:1) for my dipole which is fed with RG-213.

Would it work better without a balun?

thanks
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 11:56:19 AM »

If it's a half-wave dipole, why would you use a 4:1 balun with coax? You would only use a 4:1 balun to match an impedance that's ~4 times higher or lower.

What you want is a good current choke, which is effectively a 1:1 balun. It will keep undesired currents off the coax shield, and keep the shield from picking up RFI.

I highly recommend that you read the excellent material on baluns and chokes on K9YC's site at http://audiosystemsgroup.com/publish.htm.

WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 11:56:51 AM »

If you use a balun with 50 ohm coaxial cable the balun should be a 1:1 current balun. Otherwise feed it without a balun.
WALTERB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 12:04:15 PM »

If it's a half-wave dipole, why would you use a 4:1 balun with coax? You would only use a 4:1 balun to match an impedance that's ~4 times higher or lower.

What you want is a good current choke, which is effectively a 1:1 balun. It will keep undesired currents off the coax shield, and keep the shield from picking up RFI.

I highly recommend that you read the excellent material on baluns and chokes on K9YC's site at http://audiosystemsgroup.com/publish.htm.

Yes, it would be a half wave dipole with each leg about 16.5 feet long.

thanks
WALTERB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 12:06:28 PM »

actually it will be fed with RG-8X.  I decided since its such a short run (< 50 feet).

WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 12:42:51 PM »

The SWR will be higher if you use a 4 : 1 balun than if you feed it directly.  That's because
the dipole impedance is close to 50 ohms, and a 4 : 1 balun is designed to match 200 ohms.

Use a 1 : 1 current balun if you are going to use anything.

The dipole may work just fine without a balun, depending on a  number of factors including
the length of the coax and what else is connected to the coax shield at the station.  And
performance can shift if there are any changes.  A balun makes behavior more predictable.  It
isn't required - don't let the lack of a balun keep you from getting on the air - but it increases
your chances that the antenna will work properly without adverse effects.
WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 01:35:21 PM »

Have used 1/2 wave dipoles fed with 52 ohm coax since 1964, never used a balun never had an issue.
WALTERB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 01:54:05 PM »

ok, thanks to all!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: