Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 9M0L Statistics  (Read 13083 times)
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2012, 06:03:01 AM »

Now if you want to talk piles....there are rumors about a DXpedition by year end to a Top 10er.  That wone will be barrels of fun from North America.....

Schenectady?  Smiley
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2012, 06:05:01 AM »

20M has always been the DX money band, particularly with only so-so propagation conditions.  And my HamCap program shows rather well when various parts of the world will propably have best chances.  I didn't work them (only work 20M SSB), and from Colorado with a good location, only heard them once on 20M.  Not good enough to bother trying to actually work.  So seems to me that if criticism is warranted, my complaint is very poor choice of bands and almost nil choice of bands to NA at optimum times.
N3ZC

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2012, 06:13:26 AM »

Top 10..Well, let's see..they've recently denied the Navassa rumor..so..and Myanmar is in the 20's, and I doubt if The Dear Leader is letting a dxped into N. Korea..so..

Just a guess..but..It's gotta be Bayonne?..Right?

73'..Tom N3ZC
N3ZC

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2012, 06:21:59 AM »

Now if you want to talk piles....there are rumors about a DXpedition by year end to a Top 10er.  That wone will be barrels of fun from North America.....

Schenectady?  Smiley

I can work that my 2M HT from where I live (with ducting of course!) Grin

73'..Tom N3ZC
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 06:52:36 AM by N3ZC » Logged
NN3W

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2012, 06:45:39 AM »

Top 10..Well, let's see..they've recently denied the Navassa rumor..so..and Myanmar is in the 20's, and I doubt if The Dear Leader is letting a dxped into N. Korea..so..

Ya never know.  CBS and CNN had some pretty unfettered access in P5 over the past few weeks.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2012, 07:30:31 AM »

Of course............ There IS a "7" involved, correct? Gene AF3Y
Sneaky........  Cool   BTW....... WHERE are Tomi and George Huh
N3ZC

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2012, 07:47:53 AM »

Scarborough Reef (not Fair) would be nice Wink..I'd be ready for it this time..last time barefoot & only had a vertical (could hear them a tad)

73'..Tom N3ZC
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2012, 08:01:12 AM »

Operations always will work the hardest were signals are loudest.  ... 

I think it's quite "fair" for an operation to work the strongest signals most of the time. It keeps their rate high, meaning they can make more Q's and whittle down the pile much faster than if they go by some limiter (number, continent, etc). However, the exception has to be made for the most difficult path.

Each region of the world has one corresponding "hellzone" involving a long polar path to a populous area. JA to the Caribbean; EU to the South Pacific; East-coast NA to southeast Asia; west-coast NA to the southern Indian Ocean, Zone 22 and the east-coast of Africa. There's probably one for VK/ZL but I don't know what it is. Maybe South America via the South Pole? It's common courtesy for expedition planners to understand these things and then plan operations around them. The Scarborough guys did it spectacularly in 2007. They were there, listening for east-coast and midwestern NA as propagation was peaking along the greyline. The problem was that it was near solar minimum so there wasn't much propagation to begin with and also one week wasn't long enough to satisfy NA demand with only a 2-hour window to each region daily. They did their part (best signals possible, right band/right time), but we had to do ours (good antennas, power, timing in the pileups).

Now if you want to talk piles....there are rumors about a DXpedition by year end to a Top 10er.  That wone will be barrels of fun from North America
If you're thinking of the one starting with an "N", I don't think they'd be comparable in terms of potential problems. Considering the likely pool of people who will have the ability to get the required permits and put it together, I suspect that, if it comes together, it will be one of those world-class operations that will do their best to work everybody. I think a more likely comparison will be St. Paul Island (CY9), which is coming up in a few months. Uninhabited island with a tough polar path to SE Asia and a relatively small team. If they've got good ops, NA should be asked to QRX on the midrange bands late afternoon our time every day and 40 at the greyline. Mind you, it's a lot easier from CY9 to JA than to the more southerly destinations like 9M(x)/BY, etc.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2012, 08:19:37 AM »

11,000 kms from my QTH to 9M, so I'm not too sure how I had an advantage, its closer to the left coast.

Trevor, the distance isn't really the issue. It's the path. I'll gladly take an 11,000km path that's oriented east-west rather than one that's  8000 km but trans-polar. For us along the American east coast, it's roughly 10,000 miles/16,000km to the east coast of Australia -- Sydney, Canberra, Tasmania, etc, and on a bearing of 272 degrees SP/092 LP from my location just west of New York City. That's dirt-easy for us; we can work it short-path in the overnight and long-path late afternoon (our-time) with stock power and wire antennas, provided the flux isn't in the basement, at which time amps are ideal on both ends. On the other hand, Everything from S2 to BY on the map is brutal for us, despite being far closer, at 7500-8500 miles. It's doubly bad that there are a huge number of rare entities in that part of the world. Places like VK9X, VK9C, S2, XY, XX9, BH7, 9M0, 4W, and a lot of "next-tier-down" rare ones like 9V, 9M2/6, V85, P2, XU, XW, HS...oh, and P5, too.

From EI, the entities that are the hardest for you to reach are most likely the little dots in the South Pacific, may of which are routinely activated yearly by holidaymakers, much like the Maldives are by EU vacationers. While the path is as tough for you as 9M0 or BS7 or 4W is for us, the demand is usually far less since many of these difficult-to-reach-by-EU locations are active somewhat regularly. The rare ones (HK0, FO/C, Chesterfield, all the rare KHs like Baker-Howland, Midway, Kure, etc), when they're activated it's usually by experienced international teams that WILL go out of their way to work Europe. There simply aren't anywhere near as many locations that, for your part of the world, pose the same problems as we have to suffer through in NA and especially along the east coast.

Conditions were terrible, 12 and 10m only opened for the last 3 days.

Can't agree that the didn't have a good signal because of there equipment, they were 40/9 on 15m Cw last Thursday and Friday night with me while working NA. and All I am using is bits of wire.

Like I said you all have been spoilt with all the recent big ones being in the Pacific and the Caribbean, from my QTH I often only get 5-10 minutes windows into parts of the Pacific if you are not there then you miss out. maybe the didn't make the most of these openings to you guys, but with only 2 stations its hard to please everyone.

12/10 only opened the last three days for you to Spratly, and they were 40/9 to you at one point? We had no openings on 10/12 to them, and they never bothered to show on 30 or 40 at times propagation was open, the bands that probably would have yielded the best signals and rates. 40/9? I have 4 elements at 72' on a 31' boom for 15m. The BEST they ever got to me was S7, for about 10 minutes on the final Saturday night. Most NA stations were lucky to hear them at all, period, anywhere.

As to them being 40/9 to you and they were working NA, the way propagation exists between EI and 9M0 as well as W1-2-3 and 9M0, when they were strongest to you, was the ONLY time they were open to us. Sure, it's great to bag 'em at 40-over, I'll give you that. It's fun and there's no risk of miscopying/busting calls, etc. But at least folks in your part of the world had the opportunity to work them for most of the 24 hour period on one band or another, whereas we did not. It's identical to when Clipperton or Ducie were on lowbands. Prime time for NA on 160m (i.e. when people of working age can be in front of the radio) also coincided with Europe's greyline. NA was asked to QRX for hours while they ran EU until the bands died, then they started working NA--around 2 or 3 in the morning for us. You know what? I agree with that strategy 100%. You were the hardest path and you deserved the greatest attention by the ops. I'm glad they did it, and if I'm on an operation to the South Pacific that's how I'll play it as well.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
EI2GLB

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2012, 09:45:10 AM »

Thanks for a very detailed reply Peter, I'm newish to DXing so it's great to get the benefit of someones experience, I tend to forget just have far it is across the pond to the east coast.

It has been an eye opener to me how much prop can change due to your location, here in northwest EU we get nothing like the prop they get in EA,I and other mid and south EU countries,

I suspose if it was easy it would be no fun,  Grin

See you in the pile up's

Trevor
EI2GLB

W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2012, 09:49:47 AM »

....... but too weak to even attempt to crack the European wall or the West Coast wall.  I wonder how many of those NA contacts were with stations on the East Coast.  It doesn't look like I will be adding Spratly to my worked list during this DXpedition.

Chris/NU1O

Gene W5DQ ...... in Southern CA adding a few SMALL bricks to the infamous West Coast wall Smiley but still no 9M0L Sad

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2012, 09:59:01 AM »

It has been an eye opener to me how much prop can change due to your location, here in northwest EU we get nothing like the prop they get in EA,I and other mid and south EU countries.

It's likewise in the US and Canada. My friends in Toronto often cannot hear things I can just 500km to the south, and folks in the Carolinas and even Maryland and Virginia get openings to Asia on 10 and 12 that we don't get in New Jersey; again, a distance of under 700 miles.

I suspose if it was easy it would be no fun,  Grin
Yes it would. I happen to like easy.  Grin

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
NN3W

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2012, 10:40:50 AM »

Some years ago there was a discussion at Dayton or Visalia as to where the best place is to live in the USA for generalized DXing.  Not anything odd like 160 meter or 6 meter DXing.  But working lots of DX on 80-10.  While there was no unanimous consensus, there seemed to be a lot of feeling that the Southeast USA was pretty damned advantageus.  You're far enough south to catch the trans-EQ openings on 12 and 10; you're on the east coast which gives you access to the European horde; and you're near flat ground and salt water. 
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2012, 11:27:24 AM »

Some years ago there was a discussion at Dayton or Visalia as to where the best place is to live in the USA for generalized DXing.  Not anything odd like 160 meter or 6 meter DXing.  But working lots of DX on 80-10.  While there was no unanimous consensus, there seemed to be a lot of feeling that the Southeast USA was pretty damned advantageus.  You're far enough south to catch the trans-EQ openings on 12 and 10; you're on the east coast which gives you access to the European horde; and you're near flat ground and salt water. 

Nigh 50 years of this DX ing, that is my observation too. Florida, upper Gulf Coast has to be close to a DX hotspot in USA. Where else is HOT ?

73 N5UD
WA4IIF

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2012, 12:10:05 PM »

Well, my area in the upper Gulf Coast area (NW Florida) might be a DX hotspot, but apparently not hot enough because I couldn't work 9M0L, and I tried. I really tried.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: