Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Mode?  (Read 631 times)
W0NTS

Ignore
« on: April 14, 2012, 04:58:47 AM »

I am a person who reads antenna reviews often. Quite often the reviewer, as part of the review will include comments about the DX they worked using a particular antenna. This is well and good. But how about including the mode used to accomplish the DX contacts. A brief comment i.e.: " Using  the XYZ antenna I worked .....,.......,......, on SSB/CW/Digital/AM. As we are all aware a good antenna is vital to launching a signal. For example: If Joe and Bill are about 1/4 mile apart and both are using identical antennas at identical heights as well as identical equipment under identical conditions, Bill using CW mode will likely be able to accomplish more DX contacts than Joe who is using SSB. It is not the antenna that made the difference. It was the transmission mode. If people rush to purchase an XYZ antenna after reading a review that lists the numerous DX contacts made with said antenna, many will be disappointed. WHAT MODE WAS USED?  Dennis  W0NTS   
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 06:27:20 AM »

The antenna does not care what mode you use but some Digi modes are far more tolerant to multpath flutter/phase errors than others. Domino EX with FEC enabled is very robust and reliable and not fussy at all about zero beating and Doppler shifts that would kill other modes.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 07:18:17 AM by W8JX » Logged

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 06:46:20 AM »

Like the old Gotham Antenna adds?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: