Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Shack In Planning  (Read 8036 times)
AB3MT

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 04:40:41 PM »

I guess your right I do have restrictions. Won't go down that road. Vertical is a must.

50' tower no restrictions must be a vertical to operate on that HF radio I have listed and no ground wires

I don't want to sound rude by why does it have to be a vertical on top of that 50 foot tower?

If I had a 50 foot tower up there would be a yagi on top of it. Mount the vertical on the ground where you can load it up with radials.

So enlighten me and others as to why there has to be a vertical up on the tower? If you have no restrictions then put a beam up. Then hang a 80/40 fan dipole off an arm at the 50 foot level and you would be good to go.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 09:50:14 AM »

I guess your right I do have restrictions. Won't go down that road. Vertical is a must.

I've suggested a few good verticals for you that don't require wire radials.

There is some engineering work to do, to use any of them; but they will all dramatically outperform the CHA-250B and similar fibreglas monopoles with fancy matching networks in their bases, and they'll all handle more power as well.  The CHA-250B and its clones (Diamond, Jetstream, et al) all have a low power rating/limitation because the devices used to create the broadband match dissipate power and can blow up if you overdo it.

"Those" verticals also are very poorly decoupled from their supporting system, which is why in their instructions they recommend mounting them on a 20' pipe, because the pipe becomes part of the antenna.  Mounting one on a 50' tower can detune them, because that's not the intended mounting structure.

I'd go for a more conventional vertical such as one of the ones I recommended earlier, and just be sure it can handle the winds where you are.

NN4F

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 10:13:32 AM »

Consider the workman uvs200 or the jetstream jt3 in place of the Arrow, for just a few dollars more and will give you some gain on 2/70
i have a UVS200 up at 60ft and works like a dream...

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3378

Paul - NN4F
N4KD

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 05:44:01 AM »

But you have a 50 ft tower! That's already a vertical. Shunt feed the tower, put out good radial field, and you'll have something to brag about on HF.

N4KD - Dave
NT6U

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2012, 05:20:11 PM »

My uncle Smokey, SK. KN6AE preached:  "Spend 10 dollars on the radio.   100 dollars on the antenna! "
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: