Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HRD disconnects after a while  (Read 3218 times)
KD4SBY

Ignore
« on: April 15, 2012, 06:59:43 AM »

After struggling with homebrew interfaces that did not work I finally bought a commercial CI-V cable for my ICOM-718 and it worked right away with HRD, except that the program seems to disconnect after a while. Suddenly nothing works anymore and I have to reboot the program to get it working again. This happens every five minutes or so.
Any setting that I overlooked? Any suggestions to get it to work without interruptions?
K3VAT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 02:30:05 PM »

After struggling with homebrew interfaces that did not work I finally bought a commercial CI-V cable for my ICOM-718 and it worked right away with HRD, except that the program seems to disconnect after a while. Suddenly nothing works anymore and I have to reboot the program to get it working again. This happens every five minutes or so.
Any setting that I overlooked? Any suggestions to get it to work without interruptions?

Bernie,
What version of HRD are you using?  Same for your computer's OS?
Any error message present?

73, Rich, K3VAT
KD4SBY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 06:12:35 AM »

K3VAT - Rich,
HRD version is 5.11. As far as I know it is the latest, for I downloaded it last week. My OS is XP3. There are no additional signs that it has disconnected, it just suddenly does not respond to any computer input anymore.
Like I mentioned, rebooting the program restores everything again.
Bernie KD4SBY
W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 07:28:00 PM »

If it's a prolific chips, that's the issue.. FDTI and SI Labs work best with HRD

Rick - W4PC
KD4SBY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 05:46:40 AM »

W4PC - Rick, are you talking about the hardware? If so, I don't know what is used in the adapter. I bought the cord on eBay from a Chinese distributor.
BTW How do I get FDTI and SI Labs chips?
KD4SBY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 11:14:27 AM »

UPDATE - I noticed that when I power up HRD, the connections window pops up and indeed, it mentions Prolific as the manufacturer. If that is the problem, how do you fix this problem? What makes these chips diferent from others?
KD8GEH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 07:00:22 PM »

To fix issue, another brand usb adapter with better chip or better yet a pci card direct conversion card if you have a tower computer.

If you need any help feel free to email me at my call arrl dot net.

73, DE Dave KD8GEH
K3LUE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 02:01:38 PM »

I fought with this issue for months. Most recommend a new interface. I had the prolific chips in the adaptor and this seems to be either the cause of all problems or the scapegoat for other problems. One consensus is that when an adapter is used to adapt to USB, problems arise.I was using a Lenovo laptop with win7, good speed and 2 Gigs of RAM. As things went, the laptop crashed and I rebuilt the os but in the meantime, bought a new acer laptop with a little more speed and double the ram. Problem has never come back. Not saying that HRD was using all the resources because the resource monitor showed that was not the case. In fact, it showed no more than 50% of cpu usuage at any given time and often less than 10%. However, if I had HRD, the digital module and the logbook open, it was borderline working/not working. Now I can open all parts of the HRD program along with internet dx clusters and even some of the other bells and whistles that HRD provides with monitoring clusters itself. The acer was relatively cheap and it's now dedicated to HRD....nice to have something that I don't have to worry will crash in the middle of a QSO.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 02:05:39 PM by K3LUE » Logged
WD4CHP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 05:40:00 AM »

I had the "prolific" problem with my 2 Vista laptops.

They (I went through 3 of the Chinese knockoffs) worked with my XP machine.

I went to Amazon and searched for FTDI. I bought one for about $30.

Problem fixed!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: