Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USB->Serial Adaptor Frustration  (Read 21680 times)
KD4SBY

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2012, 07:04:03 AM »

I too had problems with drivers for many of my older programs using my new computer running Windows 7. I solved it by having two hard drives in the computer, one running my old trusty XP OS, and the other Windows 7. I can select either system by throwing a switch in the back which powers only the one HD chosen. It is like having two computers in one. (I preferred using this method above a dual boot system; it separates the two OS's completely)
Since Windows 7 is no longer DOS based, many of my older programs would not work with 7, even Virtual XP would give me fits.
Now I can use which ever OS will work with the drivers available.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2012, 09:15:07 AM »

I too had problems with drivers for many of my older programs using my new computer running Windows 7. I solved it by having two hard drives in the computer, one running my old trusty XP OS, and the other Windows 7. I can select either system by throwing a switch in the back which powers only the one HD chosen. It is like having two computers in one. (I preferred using this method above a dual boot system; it separates the two OS's completely)
Since Windows 7 is no longer DOS based, many of my older programs would not work with 7, even Virtual XP would give me fits.
Now I can use which ever OS will work with the drivers available.

Actually if you virtualize  properly it is much better than a clunky dual boot these days. With a  modern fast dual core or quad core CPU and 6 gig or more of ram and 64 bit Vista or Win 7 you can painlessly run a few different OS's at same time with 64 bit as the host. These virtual OSes will operate like they are actually in control of computer. The hamstring a modern 64 bit system to 32 bit XP as a primary OS is really pretty foolish.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2012, 10:17:52 AM »

Sorry it wasn't Amazon, it was eBay where I purchased it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170744713151

Qty Item Options Price
1 4 RS-232 Serial Port COM to PCI-E Card Adapter MOSCHIP
Item # 170697247882   $22.98 USD

They really did offer free shipping as well as the $22.98 is all that I paid.

By the way, it works just great and now I don't worry about disconnects or anything anymore! Smiley

Butch - WA4GIF

The one I bought off eBay for my computer is a 4 port PCI-e Mos-chip and was only 12.00 shipped from Hong Kong and it works great with my Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit. I run my G4ZLP Kenwood TTL to RS232 cable, a home-brew FSK/CW interface and a SteppIR control box on it with out a hitch.  My computer is a Dell XPS 410 with a Core-Duo and 4 gigs of memory 3 Hard drives (2 in a Raid configuration and a 1 tetra-bite with 2 partitions for storage and backup I also have a 500gig external drive for a backup backup. So if anything ever fails I have all my data to restore the computer and most important my log book and other very important data. And I never have to store my data off site like the Cloud ect that can be compromised.

Roland AH6RR
KD4SBY

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2012, 11:12:31 AM »

This again an example of "new is not always better". I had same problems with trying to get drivers when upgrading to 7, and I got so sick of it, that I purchased a new 300GB HD, put a selection switch in the power supplies of the now 2 HDs, put XP on one, 7 on the other, and use now either system that works with what I want to do with a flip of the switch.
End of frustration of trying to get a driver for one of the systems! Use an external, USB driven HD and the data on it is available to both systems.
It may be  the best solution to some problems you may have with programs in Widows 7 and their drivers!
KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2012, 06:48:57 PM »

Qty Item Options Price
By the way, it works just great and now I don't worry about disconnects or anything anymore! Smiley
Butch - WA4GIF
Hello Butch WA4GIF,
I need to ask, "Are you using this card with 64-bit Windows7?"
Hopefully, the answer is yes because I'm ready to buy it.
73 Jerry KM3K
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2012, 06:55:19 AM »

It is all about the drivers, not the chipset itself. Any adapter you have had for several years is not likely to support Win7 unless that same adapter is still in production and drivers have been updated. I buy them by driver support not by chipset.

Right on the money.

Have been using two prolific chipset (genuine not counterfeit) USB-serial adaptors for five years over winXP and now Win7.
They never work until I load their drivers, then all goes well.
Also, not all drivers are created equal.
Some work, sort of, and make it look like the hardware is flaky when its the driver at fault.
Remember these drivers interface at a low and privileged level in the operating system.
Video generic graphic drivers are a case in point which are familiar to many users, USB-serial drivers are just another case.
Luckily serial adaptors are pretty inexpensive, but check the box for win7 compatibility and make sure you can return it
if it doesn't work.

This is the scary thing about USB (and other) hardware.
Some day your hardware is going to be unusable because no one bothers to write a driver for a new OS version.

Good luck and 73s.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 07:03:07 AM by STAYVERTICAL » Logged
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2012, 08:18:16 AM »

One thing I look for is "Microsoft Certified Drivers". This means that they have been tested to Microsoft specifications and, in addition to working, will not cause any stability problems with the operating system. I've had virtual serial port drivers that intermittently caused computer lock ups and blue screen of death, even when the driver was not being used by any programs.

If a driver is not "Microsoft Certified" then you will get a warning message when installing them. FTDI has certified drivers for their chip sets.
KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2012, 10:20:24 AM »

One thing I look for is "Microsoft Certified Drivers". This means that they have been tested to Microsoft specifications and, in addition to working,....
The USB-to-RS232 adapter Keyspan-19HS had a "Microsoft Certified Driver", yet it would not work my AIM4170 but a Radio-Shack Gigaware adapter did. Consequently, I have little confidence in "Microsoft Certified Drivers".
73 Jerry KM3K
KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2012, 10:29:58 AM »

Qty Item Options Price
Butch - WA4GIF
Hello Butch WA4GIF,
I need to ask, "Are you using this card with 64-bit Windows7?"
Hopefully, the answer is yes because I'm ready to buy it.
73 Jerry KM3K
Just to follow-up here, I did a Google search on the MOSCHIP advertised as being used in this card and found a claim that it handles Windows7/64-bit.
So, I have ordered the card and received conformation that it has been shipped with delivery in early May.
Thus far, I've had good success on items shipped from China; I hope this order continues the success story.
73 Jerry KM3K
NO9E

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2012, 08:28:46 AM »

I used to have a number of USB-serial adapters. I was able to find drivers for all of them. But:

2 adapters fried, perhaps as an effect of lighting.

two were always failing at QRO

one failed at QRO occassionally, usually when I was running a  pileup in contest. Resetting worked but a few QSOs and sometimes the frequency were lost. 

Some raise noise floor by 20db.

A serial card is coming today.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: