Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flex 1500 Amplifier Recommendations ?  (Read 34553 times)
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2013, 05:39:30 PM »

I have been doing a LOT of reading about IMD lately and I can clearly
see now why it is not a good idea to put any amplifier behind the Flex 1500.

The numbers listed by the ARRL testing labs really do speak for themselves.

Unfortunately the ARRL numbers do not speak for themselves. As you have seen in the discussion here on this thread, "some hams"  will spin and try to make excuses why the ARRL IMD tests does not reflect "their" real world operation.  Wink

The ARRL would serve everyone better if they would just come out and say what you just did and stop beating around the bush: "it is not a good idea to put any amplifier behind the Flex 1500".

I understand all about IMD and harmonics. I do not need anything explained to me.  I've been doing this hobby for awhile now. Some 35 odd years.

Yep... And by your own admission you ignore those hams that disagree with you.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 05:42:17 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2013, 07:13:16 PM »

It is better to use the 1500 as-is, as a qrp radio instead of driving an amp with
it. Its IMD numbers even at 5 watts is not that good. But, will create less problems
than it being amplified.  W8JI gives a good explanation about what IMD is and is not.
 Thanks to everyone that keeps pounding on that here and elsewhere. Whether you
know it or not, some of us do get around to trying to learn more about IMD , including
the cause and the cure(s).
james
WD5GWY

Again,  the ARRL test are at full power output. As soon as you reduce output, the ARRL numbers are no longer valid. Until someone can produce numbers at half or quarter output or whatever it may be, I don't see how anyone can make such a blanket statement on the suitability of putting an amp behind the radio. If I run full power on the 1500 on any of the bands my amp covers it WAY overdrives it. I would never run the amp and radio in that manner. I cannot speak for other hams. From what I heard on the bands today and tonight, their are many hams who have no idea how to run any amp regardless of the exciter. I heard a yahoo on 40 meters early this evening who had a signal about 10 khz wide! No one could do anything around him.  I mostly run digital modes and a little CW anyway and only rarely ever use SSB which is when I find I actually need the amp. On the rare occasions I use a little more power on digital, I don't think there are any issues with my signal or I would have heard about it by now. Believe me, their are a lot of guys out there on digital who will let you know via e-mail very quickly if their is ANY issue with your signal whether it be audio or RF related.  I've already explained earlier why I can't afford a higher powered radio. Don't you think I'd like to have a Flex 3000 and an AL-811H or an even nicer amp if I could??? Angry My voice is hoarse from breaking pileups today and I sure don't break them all. This is my last comment on the subject. I have put together a small low/medium powered station that I enjoy and that is within my hobby budget without affecting my families lifestyle and I refuse to be judged for that. Especially by the likes of SOME of the posters on this forum.
Michael, W4HIJ
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 07:17:07 PM by W4HIJ » Logged
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2013, 05:31:45 AM »

It is better to use the 1500 as-is, as a qrp radio instead of driving an amp with
it. Its IMD numbers even at 5 watts is not that good. But, will create less problems
than it being amplified.  W8JI gives a good explanation about what IMD is and is not.
 Thanks to everyone that keeps pounding on that here and elsewhere. Whether you
know it or not, some of us do get around to trying to learn more about IMD , including
the cause and the cure(s).
james
WD5GWY

Again,  the ARRL test are at full power output. As soon as you reduce output, the ARRL numbers are no longer valid. Until someone can produce numbers at half or quarter output or whatever it may be, I don't see how anyone can make such a blanket statement on the suitability of putting an amp behind the radio. If I run full power on the 1500 on any of the bands my amp covers it WAY overdrives it. I would never run the amp and radio in that manner. I cannot speak for other hams. From what I heard on the bands today and tonight, their are many hams who have no idea how to run any amp regardless of the exciter. I heard a yahoo on 40 meters early this evening who had a signal about 10 khz wide! No one could do anything around him.  I mostly run digital modes and a little CW anyway and only rarely ever use SSB which is when I find I actually need the amp. On the rare occasions I use a little more power on digital, I don't think there are any issues with my signal or I would have heard about it by now. Believe me, their are a lot of guys out there on digital who will let you know via e-mail very quickly if their is ANY issue with your signal whether it be audio or RF related.  I've already explained earlier why I can't afford a higher powered radio. Don't you think I'd like to have a Flex 3000 and an AL-811H or an even nicer amp if I could??? Angry My voice is hoarse from breaking pileups today and I sure don't break them all. This is my last comment on the subject. I have put together a small low/medium powered station that I enjoy and that is within my hobby budget without affecting my families lifestyle and I refuse to be judged for that. Especially by the likes of SOME of the posters on this forum.
Michael, W4HIJ

Sounds like with your hobby budget and family lifestyle you'd be better off on the CB band.  Over there you wont have to justify why you run crappy CB type amps that crud up the band - you will be right at home!
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: