Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flex 1500 Amplifier Recommendations ?  (Read 36138 times)
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2012, 01:39:39 PM »

Hmmmmmm, got my 1500 new, on sale, for a little over $600 shipped
from FRS. For a 5 watt qrp rig, it is just fine. Adding $300 for an amp
to get around 100 watts out is still much cheaper than a used 3000.
I have only seen ONE used 3000 sell for $1000.00 and it sold fast.
On eBay, they sell for more, usually around $1200-$1400.  The 1500
used, currently sells for roughly $500 give or take a bit. Going the
Tokyo High Power route with the 45 watt amp that has been selling for
$300 plus doesn't gain anything.
  Building is an option, but, given the time I have to devote to such things,
I'd rather buy a new amp, or spend the time rebuilding some of my old
boatanchor radios. IF, I decide I want more power from a Flex SDR radio,
I will find a deal on a used 3000 or 5000. But, right now, even with the
announcement of the 6000 Series, the current line of Flex radios are still
selling at higher prices used. It will be AFTER the roll-out of the 6000 Series
and user reviews and people like Sherwood and the ARRL Labs reviews, that
prices on used 1500,3000, and 5000's will drop. IF the new radios are not
plagued with problems.
  Guess we will see for sure in 6 months or so!!
james
WD5GWY
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2012, 08:33:30 PM »

Rumor has it that in the week preceding The Flex Game Change Day, veteran Flexers will be paying you to take the old, decrepit, useless, IMD Distortion splattering, amplifier wrecking, Firewire breathing dinosaurs off their hands.

N9RO

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2012, 09:15:58 PM »

I love your optimism  but the more I learn about the 6000 series the more I see this thing is far from ready.  They should have waited for Dayton 2013 to announce  but looks like they wanted to collect that BIG down payment  from the blind masses.  In my opinion Flex is sure consistent in their sly marketing. 

Tim, N9RO

Real techies don't use knobs.
G4PNX

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2012, 08:51:11 AM »

In my opinion Flex is sure consistent in their sly marketing. 

Tim, N9RO

Is history going to repeat itself?

Already, in the blurb and responses from FRS, we are seeing phrases like 'Not initially', 'Over Time', Future Releases'. See the FAQ if you want to be reminded of them.

I can already see the day, in three or four years time when FRS introduces its latest whizz bang range of radios, owners will be bemoaning the fact that their 6xxx radio doesn't have the promised functionality. Two slices instead of four, four slices instead of eight!!!

As history shows, you certainly get plenty of MBP/$ (More Broken Promises/dollar) than with any other company.

G4PNX
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2012, 10:44:43 AM »

I love your optimism  but the more I learn about the 6000 series the more I see this thing is far from ready.  They should have waited for Dayton 2013 to announce  but looks like they wanted to collect that BIG down payment  from the blind masses.  In my opinion Flex is sure consistent in their sly marketing. 

Tim, N9RO

I didn't think I was being optimistic, just going by their statements of "Q4 2012".
Nothing more. Flex has never made any promises to "me" but, if others feel that
they have been promised things and they have not delivered, then who am I to
question them? 
  Did anyone notice that the demo that Flex had at Dayton was a Mockup of the
output of the 6000's SmartSDR? I'm hope that when they get to HAMCOM in
Plano, TX in June, that they'll be running the actual software and not a mockup.
  Then again, Kenwood's new TS-990 was a mockup and not an actual, working
radio. Does that make them a promise breaker like Flex? Even the Alinco SDR
radio display was a mockup. It appears to me, that all of the introductions at
Dayton were not yet ready for prime time.
  Anyway, I'll continue to use what I have and enjoy it. My Flex 1500 is fine for
qrp and my other rigs do their jobs just as well. I really don't understand all the
uproar over Flex, given that other manufacturers do the same thing.
 Look at COMDEX, and other electronic trade shows. Tons of new products shown.
And even working models. But, a lot never, ever get to the consumer.
james
WD5GWY

WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2012, 10:45:51 AM »

Rumor has it that in the week preceding The Flex Game Change Day, veteran Flexers will be paying you to take the old, decrepit, useless, IMD Distortion splattering, amplifier wrecking, Firewire breathing dinosaurs off their hands.

I'll gladly take the money and all of the Flex 5000 dinosaurs off their hands!!
 Grin
james
WD5GWY
N9RO

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2012, 08:46:13 AM »

Of course, the trade-off is you will need to buy a Firewire card or use a laptop with a built in Ieee 1394 interface (not too hard to find), or at least a PCMCIA FIrewire card (also easy to find). The 1500 will run on less PC than the 3000 or 5000.

These type of statements are either dishonest or simply uninformed.  Although Firewire cards are easy to find (today) NOT ALL FIREWIRE CARDS WORK WITH THE FLEX!  To have your Flex work properly you MUST and I will repeat this again MUST use a card that employs a chip set from a small list of manufactures.  These cards in my experience are getting harder to find.  Right now you can go to Flex and pay top $$ to get one but nobody knows how long that last?  A large number of built in 1394 Laptop interfaces will NOT work with a Flex.  I personally have tested six different laptops and NONE of the built in interfaces would support the Flex.  A large number of stores cannot tell you what chip set their Firewire cards use, in addition, you could purchase a working card today and next month that manufacture's card is using a non supported (by Flex) chip set.  In the last 6 months I have obtained two new mid line Laptops and neither one has any slot to add a Firewire card.

Firewire is a BIG issue and one of the main reasons I would not tell a friend to pick up one of these new ham paper weights, and I own both a 3000 and 5000.

Tim, N9RO

N9RO

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2012, 09:31:05 PM »

You (Tim) are a truthful Flexer and I find that refreshing since there are so few of you.

Thanks Stan I appreciate that.  I find it pathetic the way so many Flexers give the company a pass on everything they do.  The Flex company knows this and uses it to their advantage, I see Flex surrogates pop up when some negative fact is discussed and it make me think interesting?  Many of us miss having the Pit Bull (K9IUQ)  fighting to make the radio better for us all.  It is my opinion that you are the one to be credited with making Flex go public regarding their costly spur problem fix, if you are reading this post and don't know what I am talking about do some research, you will find it very interesting.  Your Flex ad will go down as a classic, I think people still talk about it.  At least here on eHam I have not been called names (yet) like on the Flex Reflector.  And yes I do use a Flex, in fact, Flex radios are the only HF rigs in my shack.

KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2012, 05:06:43 AM »

Well, I guess I'll stick to my Flex 1000. Apparently the company grappled with an LPT type communication and saw that LPT ports were a thing of the past and it was time to complicate things with FireWires. USB 2.0 not fast enough!!!
I am using a firewire in a different way for the sound card and the Edirol FA 66. Much better receive characteristics and TX audio.
Fred
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2012, 06:32:57 AM »

radio. Does that make them a promise breaker like Flex?

FYI the TS-990 is a pre-production working radio and is having its software tweaked. It goes for FCC type acceptance in 2 months. The only thing that will change in appearance with production model is frequency display over tuning encoder.  Get your facts straight.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2012, 09:26:44 AM »

radio. Does that make them a promise breaker like Flex?

FYI the TS-990 is a pre-production working radio and is having its software tweaked. It goes for FCC type acceptance in 2 months. The only thing that will change in appearance with production model is frequency display over tuning encoder.  Get your facts straight.
Thank you. I stand corrected. The facts that I stated were from a friend that was at
Dayton. Not my own observations. Lucky for me, I will get to see the new Kenwood
and others this coming weekend at HAMCOM in Plano, Tx.  It will be interesting to
see all the new introductions first hand. I seriously doubt that I'll be able to afford
the 990, but, at least I can dream!
As for the new Flex radios, those will be interesting to see as well. Hopefully, they
will have a better demo running than what everyone says they had at Dayton.
Again, thank you for the correction. I do respect your opinions and facts.
james
WD5GWY
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2012, 09:29:13 AM »

Well, I guess I'll stick to my Flex 1000. Apparently the company grappled with an LPT type communication and saw that LPT ports were a thing of the past and it was time to complicate things with FireWires. USB 2.0 not fast enough!!!
I am using a firewire in a different way for the sound card and the Edirol FA 66. Much better receive characteristics and TX audio.
Fred
Mind sharing what you did different with a Firewire card? I have passed up several
Flex 1000's because of that issue and the problems getting it to work in Win7 64bit.
james
WD5GWY
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2012, 10:37:29 AM »

Fred
Mind sharing what you did different with a Firewire card? I have passed up several
Flex 1000's because of that issue and the problems getting it to work in Win7 64bit.
james
WD5GWY

I opted for better receive performance and better Synch Detector for Short wave listening, also improved TX audio using an Edirol FA 66 sound card, instead of using "un-supported" sound card or a Delta-44. Others here will probably have their favorite firewire sound card. The FA 66 needs a firewire card to talk to the computer.
Controlling and communication between the computer and actual radio is via an LPT port on the host computer. Easy to deal with using a PCI or PCIe slot LPT card, and following the set-up from Flex, if your computer does not have a printer (LPT) port. Most computers in the last two years do not have a printer port.
As for WIN 7-64 bit, I would not be able to speak with knowledge. I moved my radio over to WIN 7 32 bit with some hiccups, and I had another thread about that merry-go-round in this forum, but I won.....
Fred
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2012, 11:11:53 AM »

Thank you! I read your other thread on the subject. I'm not locked into Win7 64 bit.
But, I do like it. (seems it works better with Photoshop and lots more memory)
  I also have Win7 32 bit as well. So, I could put that on a spare hard drive and
run that with PowerSDR and a Flex 1000. I might do some trading yet!!
james
WD5GWY
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2012, 08:10:20 PM »

My HLA-150 arrives Thursday.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: