Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two rigs on one antenna through a coax switch  (Read 1883 times)
ND9B

Ignore
« on: April 17, 2012, 06:31:07 AM »

I have two high powered rigs that I want to use with one antenna. Would it be safe to use a Daiwa CO-201 coax switch for this purpose? This particular switch shorts the unselected port to ground, but the actual isolation is not specified. I just want to make sure transmitting on one rig won't nuke the other.

Bobby Dipole
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 07:31:04 AM »

You shouldn't have a problem with this setup.  The offline radio antenna terminals are shorted to ground which prevents RF from getting into the radio.  I would also have the offline radio shut down as well to prevent RF from getting into the radio by any other means. 
ND9B

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 07:54:02 AM »

I have two high powered rigs that I want to use with one antenna. Would it be safe to use a Daiwa CO-201 coax switch for this purpose? This particular switch shorts the unselected port to ground, but the actual isolation is not specified. I just want to make sure transmitting on one rig won't nuke the other.

Bobby Dipole

I just realized that I could measure the switche's isolation with my RF generator and the S-meter on my rig. I cranked the generator up on 20M (the highest freq band I use) for a reading of 60 over 9, then flipped the coax switch. The S-meter fell all the way to the end of it's range. The isolation must be at least 100db if the meter is right! I see no problem now.

Bobby Dipole ND9B
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 09:14:18 AM »

Bobby Dipole

Been doing this for many many years with up to 3 rigs with a few other brand switches over years and never had any problem with my Kenwoods.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
M5AEO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 03:12:43 PM »

I asked exactly the same question a few months ago!
I run two transceivers and a receiver in this same way via a 3-way coax switch from Diamond.  The company specifies 60dB of separation between the 3 ports and I have experienced no problems or interaction between the rigs.  I am only running up to 100 watts however, so the higher RF power that is generally used in the USA should be taken into consideration.

Jonathan, M5AEO, London UK.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 04:38:12 PM »

I asked exactly the same question a few months ago!
I run two transceivers and a receiver in this same way via a 3-way coax switch from Diamond.  The company specifies 60dB of separation between the 3 ports and I have experienced no problems or interaction between the rigs.  I am only running up to 100 watts however, so the higher RF power that is generally used in the USA should be taken into consideration.

Jonathan, M5AEO, London UK.

Not really a problem unless you have more than one amp in line too and I switch rigs BEFORE amp.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: