Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baofeng UV-5R HT  (Read 28312 times)
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2012, 08:12:29 AM »

How does anyone here know that Baofeng copied anyone's hardware?
Without having a complete schematic for the radio and the other companies
radios, I would think it would be impossible to know.
And I am pretty sure that companies like ICOM, Kenwood etc. would be
screaming bloody murder about them copying their hardware. No lawsuits
have been filed. And as far as I know, none of those same companies have
pulled production of their products from China. I would think that they would
at least threaten it if their products were being infringed on.
 james
WD5GWY
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2012, 05:01:47 PM »

Just where did you pick up on the VX-3?  I mentioned no specific model, just what those companies are noted for.  Haven't you heard of the rip-offs of bootleg CDs and DVDs?  They've also done it to other things--including home electronics.
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2012, 10:04:17 PM »

Dude, that hate you are carrying around is going to eat you up.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 03:44:33 AM »

Wow, the way people make assumptions!  Hate???  You're sadly mistaken.  

Oh, and how about the threads about the generators from China that a lot of hams are using and how those generators are exact--EXACT--duplicates of the ones Honda is putting out, but don't have the warrantees that Honda supplies with their units.

Honestly, I wonder how people can be so blind, yet can seem to claim that they see everything.  All that was said was how Chinese manufacturers tend to skirt the international laws of copyright infringement in some of the most lucrative goods out on the market, ham radio equipment included.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 03:52:16 AM by K1CJS » Logged
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 07:19:05 AM »

You have made the accusation.  PROVE IT!  I MEAN LEGALLY BINDING PROOF.  Not some fear mongering crap posted to some union's website to get the members stirred up or RIAA propaganda.  Present some documents, schematics, any kind of hard evidence, if you can, that lends credence to your claim.

I'll give you an example of the same shit that goes on right here in the good ole clean and pure USA.  A small firearms manufacturer produces a small compact pocket pistol.  It sell as fast as they can make them.  In steps one of the Big Three in the US firearms industry, Ruger, who takes the design, does some slight cosmetic "enhancements" and hypes it as the newest thing in personal protection and sells them by the train load.  So, in light of this, should we boycott the giant corporate bully Ruger for stealing the design from the little guy, who by the way didn't feel it needed to file a patent on its design, or is that okay because it is an American company doing it?

For the record, piracy, copyright/patent infringement, or all the other shady business practices are not ok or to be condoned.  But if YaeComWood is not convinced enough to take legal action to protect their design who are you to say it is stolen?

While we are on morality issues, how many of your radios are modified to transmit out of band, just in case?
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 03:53:12 AM »

Boy, you can go from cold to hot fast, can't you?  

I would refuse to do business with any manufacturer that has shady dealings--which are publicised, foreign or US.  In any event, if something like that happened in the US, there would be a cadre of company lawyers bringing suit against the offender faster than you can say "ambulance chaser!"  That can't easily happen with a Chinese company.  They just laughed at the CD and DVD manufacturers here--and keep right on copying.

The way those Chinese companies do 'business' have been publicised.  Some of their products may well be 'original', but some other products from there are obvious copies--which even a blind man could see.

If you want proof, do your own research.   
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 04:15:14 AM by K1CJS » Logged
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 06:42:54 AM »

That is not the way it works.  You have made the accusation.  It is incumbent on you to prove your claim.  It appears that you cannot so you resort to the the tired old "do your own research" cop out.

And get off of the CD/DVD nonsense.  We are not talking about CD/DVDs.  This conversation is about radios. 

So prove your point with facts, not some "I know the Chinese make fake CD/DVDs so they must make fake everything" drivel.  Facts, not your feelings.
Your anti-Chinese ratings are not proof. 
N0FPE

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2012, 06:25:26 PM »

WOW! some really big chips on shoulders out there..Me thinks one does protest to much...I will be OK with my Yaekencomlinco radios ..oh and my made in Israel Motorola radios..no need for the disputed kinds...

Dan
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2012, 06:36:56 AM »

M6GOM,

We are all well aware that the major manufacturers are being forced to have the products they design, assembled in China, but only out of being forced to, in an effort to compete with cheap labor being used by the technology thieves in China. Otherwise, the technology-innovating companies would have their products assembled in their respective countries, in support of their own economies. When the innovators can no longer compete, they will die. Is saving a few dollars worth the sacrifice to come? In my mind, the answer is a no-brainer.

Union labor in the United States is in large part, the problem. But, I believe most of the blame goes to consumers that put price before quality by supporting the Chinese workers charged with the never-ending task of reverse-engineering foreign technological equipment. We all know it's happening; to ignore or deny it, leads only to our own demise. Let's work together on this issue to save the leaders of our industry.

Union labor is not at fault for this countries economic turmoil!!! Thats just plain non-sense and I can prove it!

I agreed with what you were saying until the labor union comment. If it weren't for Union Labor then we wouldn't be to far from China's slave wage practice. It is as common sense to know that big corporations here in the U.S. would still pay slave wage like they did in our earlier historical years before Union's had to be formed. That was the reason why Union's were formed in the first place and is the reason why China doesn't have any Unions. That's also the reason why china can pay such a slave wage to make themselves such a huge profit even when their supplying garbage to the market. Think about it!

I'm tempted to buy a UV-5R because of its cost but is it like my Icom 91AD or Icom W2A? Nope! It's great as an entry level ,but I like quality and these Chinese products are not quality so I wouldn't replace my Icom gear for them.

73!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2012, 08:18:18 AM »

Union labor is not at fault for this countries economic turmoil!!! Thats just plain non-sense and I can prove it!

I agreed with what you were saying until the labor union comment. If it weren't for Union Labor then we wouldn't be to far from China's slave wage practice....

I think that may well be the point.  In unionized industries in this country, the pay scale and benefits can be well above what the non-unionized industry here are offering.  IOW, the extra pay and benefits push the costs of the end product up--and provide some of the impetus for the inflationary spiral.  73!
N0SOY

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2012, 10:27:44 AM »

I ordered 2 UV-3r 2 watt hh duel bands.  I am very happy with the performance.  I can reliably hit the repeaters with decent audio.  I have 2 Icoms and the Baofengs are not the same class.  (Acually easier to program).  But they are $50.00. 
The radios were purchased for hamfests, and to track down the GF at the mall (or wally world). Grin Grin

I think China is going to enter the Ham radio market in a big way. 
W8EDV

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2012, 03:12:49 AM »

I have been buying all the traditional ham equipment since 1977 when I got licensed, I've owned just about every brand and have spend a lot over the years like most of you guys have.  Icom, Kenwoods, Yaesu's , Drake, and so on....

There's no getting around the fact that almost anything we buy says Made in China on it nowdays.  I saw these Chinese radios advertised and I purchased two of them.  One is the Baofeng UV 5R, and the other a little more expensive the Wouxun KG UV6X, a commercial Dual Bander that is FCC approved for type 90, and 97, and it narrow band 2.5 stepping for the new freq's coming in 2013.

These radios will not replace my Icom, Kenwood, or Yaesu,  they are cheap, but they work very well, and they sound incredibly good. My thinking is that these radios are great for all the new  hams that are trying to get on the air with a decent radio that they can afford. I wish there was a $50 dual bander on the market when I got my ticket years ago, I had to get an old boat anchor at a ham fest, but it did get me started.

I suppose we could talk about China all day long and how they send a lot of junk over here,  same as we did many years ago when all our stuff said Made in Japan on it but that wont change anything.  The fact is Chinese radios are here, and here to stay. They even have Chinese Mobile Dual Banders on the way that will compete with the big 4 as far as features, and performance goes.  If you're comfortable buying one of the big brand names thats fine, it's your money.  I think each of us buys what we can afford and what we feel comfortable with, and it's not the radio that makes the ham what he or she is.  This is a great hobby as far as I'm concerned I have met a ton of great people on the airwaves, at hamfests, and so on, and I wouldn't  fault any one of them for the type of radio they bought or own.

My Chinese HT's lack a lot of features that my  Icom and Yaesu have, but they work very well, the battery life is great, they sound as good as the big boys do and if they break I wont cry over the $50 lost.  I dont think Icom or Kenwood or the other big manufactures have any worries, they have a good product, you can have them serviced almost anywhere, and  hams will continue to buy them even with a $400 plus  price tag. It will be interesting to see where all of this Chinese radio stuff goes, how the sales will be and  how the big 4 as we call them will react to the new kid on the block.   

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2012, 07:15:46 AM »

....There's no getting around the fact that almost anything we buy says Made in China on it nowdays....  

That depends on the stores you go to.  Some stores sell only Chinese stuff (Wal-Mart comes to mind here) and some have stuff that is made both in China AND elsewhere.  You pay more for stuff not made in China, but most of the time you get a better product.

I suppose we could talk about China all day long and how they send a lot of junk over here,  same as we did many years ago when all our stuff said Made in Japan on it but that wont change anything.  The fact is Chinese radios are here, and here to stay...

Yeah, that's the truth.  But only because bargain hunters will pay the lowest prices for ANYTHING, and not bother to look where it's made.  I bought two VCRS a few years ago, one the RCA brand which was made in China, and one the Mitsubichi brand, made in Japan.  Both were top of the line models, not the lowest price models that were available.

Now, no argument will be coming that Japan was the same as China when they started to send their stuff over here, but since then they've increased the quality of their goods a hundred fold.  And it shows--the RCA VCR I bought is dead and gone, while the Mitsubichi VCR is still going strong.  And yes, they were both used for the same thing and for the same relative amount of time.  AAMOF, the Mitsubichi VCR probably was used MORE!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 07:17:43 AM by K1CJS » Logged
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2012, 10:28:24 AM »

We have to buy china made crap so they have the money to lend back to us.
W8EDV

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2012, 05:26:21 PM »

My  Vitamix blender which is made here in Bedford Ohio, and sold world wide cost me $469 ..  it's a blender... has lot of power and a 7 year warranty...  I buy USA made products when I can because they are made better, and hopefully last longer.... but the Vitamix is a blender it blends smoothies, and makes great milk shakes for $469.... 

I could buy a Wal Mart blender for $25, it blends too and makes good milk shakes... but I chose not to..

For the radio, well I'd say for a spare knock about or for a beginner ham just getting in the hobby ,  this $50 HT  can't be beat...  Depending on your needs, wants, and your wallet...
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: