Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HT with Tiger Tail; Does 1/2 wave beat 1/4 wave  (Read 3345 times)
EFUDD

Ignore
« on: April 17, 2012, 06:45:18 PM »

I got some info from the eHam forums a few months ago about "tiger tails" helping out HT transmit.  The 1/4 wave tiger tail(counterpoise) did help both transmit and receive.  Now I have made a dual band (2m/70cm) at a 1/2 wave length but I haven't had much time to test it out.  Do any of you have prior experience with these?  Which one works the best?  When I get some time with some of my ham friends I'll try them out, but right now the only radio time I've been getting is on the road.  Hope you can help me out.  Of course the tiger tail is basically for situations where other means may not be readily available.  Thanks!
KK4GEV
Lee
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 10:13:48 PM »

I would make a 1/4L for 2m and use it for both bands.  Approx 19 to 19.5 inches, not critical.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 07:59:30 AM »

I would make a 1/4L for 2m and use it for both bands.  Approx 19 to 19.5 inches, not critical.

Agreed.

A atrue halfwave antenna does not need a counterpoise, but it is highly likely that your dualband antenna is halfwave (or better) only on 70cm band, on 2 mtrs it is going to be a quarter wave, so use the quarter wave counterpoise length. 

AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 12:03:31 PM »

I think you got good advice from the posters.  However in the true HAM spirit, why not try it both ways and see which is better.

Dick   AD4U
KC3JV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 11:11:16 AM »

Hi I used to manufacture clip on Tiger tails that fit over an BNC with a clip.   They were dual band and worked great.  I sold hundreds at $4 each.      The problem is the switch from BNC to SMA for most HT's.   Anyway they do work and 1/2 wave is awkward because of it's length.  They also improve both xmit and rcv with rubber ducks.

Go for it.

Mark KC3JV
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 01:37:02 PM »

If you are using a half-wave 2m antenna (about 36" long or so) then the counterpoise
doesn't make much difference in performance.

If the antenna is electrically 1/2 wave on 440 and 1/4 wave on 2m then it will still help.

Unfortunately many manufacturers' descriptions of their antennas are products of Marketing
department rather than Engineering:  just because they wind 36" of wire into an 8" rubber
duck for 2m does NOT make it a 1/2 wave antenna.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: