Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood Mic Quality -- Commercial vs. Ham  (Read 3298 times)
KL3HY

Ignore
« on: April 18, 2012, 08:25:32 PM »

I've got a couple of Kenwood 2m/70cm radios (TM-V71A) with the DTMF mics.  I don't use the DTMF keypads for anything, and I was wondering if the quality (durability or audio quality) is better for the stuff Kenwood makes for the commercial 2-way market, like the KMC-72B mics.

Does anyone have any experience with these, and if so, what's your opinion?

Thanks,
Mike
KL3HY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 07:41:21 AM »

Nobody here has any experience on the KMC-72b mics?
KL3HY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 11:44:03 PM »

Okay, I'll broaden the question--does anyone have any experience with ANY Kenwood commercial mics?

Come on--SOMEONE here among the 163 people who've looked at this thread must have something to contribute.
KC0RZW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 05:51:03 AM »

Sorry, I have absolutely nothing to contribute, which is why i haven't.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 05:51:30 AM »

It's been a few years, but back when we had a repeater at work, I think the Kenwood radios sounded a little better than then the GE radios, but not as good as the Motorola desktop mics. But there may be factors other than the microphones.

If you have both, why not set up a test and let us know? I doubt the pinouts are the same, so you may have to put on a different connector or make up something first.

If you're just not happy with the sound of the Kenwood mic, you can always get a Heil or other element and swap it in for the factory element.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 09:37:05 AM »

Usually swapping out ham rig mikes for commercial mikes for better sound quality is a moot point.  The sound quality is still remarkably alike.  Durability is another matter altogether.  The commercial mike there is better simply because these aren't as many things to go wrong or broken with those commercial mikes as there are with the DTMF mikes. 

IOW, if you expect the mike to take a beating, better to swap them out.  If not, then the DTMF mike is just as good as the commercial one.  Going with a Heil mike or element to better sound quality may seem to make sense, but the truth of the matter is that unless the other guy tells you he's got a Heil on his rig, you're not going to be able to tell the difference.
KL3HY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 10:30:33 AM »

Thanks guys--I actually don't have the commercial mic yet.  I do have two TM-V71A radios, and the stock DTMF mics that came with them are significantly different in how they sound.  One is far quieter than the other and I have to set the mic gain to high with it or I get lots of complaints about low audio.

I guess it doesn't surprise me that Kenwood might use the same mic elements on both the commercial and ham side.  Given that the Kenwood commercial radios I've worked with in the past have sounded better than my current ham rigs though, I was thinking that maybe they used very simplistic components on the ham side, and better stuff on the commercial side.  It's been a long time since I've had hands on Kenwood commercial radios though.  I hadn't thought about a Heil element, but that's a good idea.

The reason I posted this question is because I was thinking about buying a KMC-72B.  I guess if I see one for a good price I might give it a shot just for fun.  If I do, I'll post a follow up message here with what I find comparing it with the stock DTMF mic.

Thanks,
Mike
AB4O

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 08:56:59 AM »

At our work site, we use kenwood equipment exclusively. The Kenwood desk mike that we use is very durable and has excellent sound quality. The remote mics we use are the KMC-21, and they have excellent sound quality also,as long as the mic ends stay together, that is the only problem we have ever had out of them.
 Cool
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 06:02:20 PM »

....I do have two TM-V71A radios, and the stock DTMF mics that came with them are significantly different in how they sound.  One is far quieter than the other and I have to set the mic gain to high with it or I get lots of complaints about low audio....

Could well be that that particular mike was damaged somehow.  One thing I've run across is problems on some mikes due to soldering.  Get one solder joint that isn't a good one (maybe a cold solder joint or a weak bond that broke) and the mike could well be affected like you described.  One mike I had had bad feed through (one side of circuit board to the other inside mike) that a soldering job fixed.  Good luck and 73!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 04:27:07 AM by K1CJS » Logged
VA3WXM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 09:42:57 AM »

I've used the KMC-28 DTMF mic from my TK-790 with my TM-V71A and had no issues.  The pinouts for ptt, ground, mic audio, etc. are the same.  The mic heads are attached to their respective cords via RJ45 connectors.

As was mentioned, the big difference will be in durability.  And for those who like to hold something substantial in your hand, you can't beat a commercial mic.
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 12:21:01 PM »

I've got some Kenwood TK gear and I found a  desk mike on Ebay.  Sounds just like the mobile mike which is heavy,  but only because weight  has been added  to the case to keep it from bouncing out of the clip.  Bet the element is a standard Kenwood item. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: