Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: is part 15 radio or not?  (Read 1879 times)
KC8GPD

Ignore
« on: May 14, 2012, 12:34:48 PM »

why do hams on repeaters and in most forums hate discussing the topic of legal license free radio so much whether it be part 95 or part 15? part 15 is radio is it not?

there are hams who do qrss on under part's 15.217, 15.219, and 15.225, so why the objection to such discussions on the air?

just something i take an interest in and because of it seem like an outsider in the ham community because i do.

i like to broadcast under parts 15.209, 15.217, 15.219, 15.225, and 15.239 and like to dsicuss idea's to improve signal quality and make transmitters more efficient (and go further) within the fcc rules.

just something annoying.

seems if your not discussing a 10k+ sdr radio or packet radio, mountain top dx, etc your an outsider.

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 01:58:57 PM »

I suspect that a lot of hams don't understand Part 15. Over here, a lot of people get upset that we don't have anything like Part 15, allowing operation anywhere under the spurious emission level except in specific bands. Although the European spurious emission level is up to 6 dB less stringent than part 15.

Too, if it it's not ham radio in ham bands, people just have no interest. You can't force them......
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 03:06:15 PM »

I don't see where there would be much to discuss.

Part 15.209 defines maximum radiated field strength per band in uV/m, at fixed and defined measurement distances.

Part 15.217 states the antenna cannot exceed 15m overall length including transmission line, antenna, and ground wire.

Part 15.225 further defines F/S in uV/m and measurement distances based on frequency.

Part 15.239 states maximum F/S 250uV/m measured at 3m distance.

If you fall within these rules you can do all kinds of stuff, but no matter what you do, you can't exceed the maximum F/S allowed. 

How much can you experiment with antennas, staying within the F/S limits, that will change your coverage area?

The MF stuff defined in 15.217 allow for ground wave propagation, which the other frequency bands don't; so I suppose you could experiment in search of the most powerful ground wave signal possible that doesn't exceed 1W DC input power to the final stage and 15m of overall antenna system components; however with an 80% efficient transmitter (800mW output) and an antenna system limited to 0.01 wavelengths overall (at 190 kHz), I'd think the only thing to really experiment with would be the antenna matching system, to get as much of that 800mW into the antenna as possible.

Is there something else that can be done?
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 10:54:45 AM »

Part 15 covers intentional and non-intentional radiators.  Most folks have very unique interpretations of what
they can get away with Smiley

Pete
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 01:42:48 PM »

Technically, there is little of interest, since the limits are so well defined.

Other than that, I have no interest in playing amateur disk jockey, programmer etc associated with running a broadcast station.
K0CBA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 08:12:51 AM »

It appears that your 'shift' key is not working.....you know, that's the one that is used to capitalize where required!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: