Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who has tubes?  (Read 9475 times)
NY0Y

Ignore
« on: April 19, 2012, 10:48:33 AM »

I am the proud owner of a nice looking Drake -4 line.  And, I want to lay in a few spare tubes...

I placed an order with an internet source and BLAM!!! backordered on three of the five items ordered.  A check on eBay shows greatly inflated prices for unknown quality...

So, who has good 6HS6, 12Be6 and 6BZ6s?Huh  Or have I just bought a pig in a poke??

Thanks

NY0Y
Raleigh
KX5JT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 10:52:50 AM »

Try K5SVC and his ebay store.  He puts together tube kits for boat anchors.

Here is an example of the Drake R-4C but he has the other R-4 series stuff too...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DRAKE-R-4C-TUBE-KIT-/160109301801?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2547421029

I have bought from him and he does back his product.  I had a bad 572B and he promptly replaced it.
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 01:02:17 PM »

Or have I just bought a pig in a poke??

I guarantee you that any synthesized radio out there today is about 100 times greater the chance of being a "pig in a poke" if you need to replace any sort of solid state device. Try to find a spare microprocessor or any of the PA transistors for something like a Yaesu FT-100d.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
NY0Y

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 01:13:13 PM »

Yes... reminds me of  modern autos...  I know how to change and set plugs and points, adjust the carb, set the valve lash, and change any number of attachments short of a major overhaul.  Have even taken heads off to have them milled and replaced. 

Try that with a modern car... OMG!  We are the throw it away generation... it just costs too much to fix and too little to buy... so go get another one.  I could put a magneto in a phone... try that on a smart phone....

Oh well, you're preaching to the choir...
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 02:06:31 PM »

antique radio supply, SMD sales, toober on ebay... frank's electronics in louisiana was a surprise find for one Compactron for me... maybe another ham on your regular net... lots of sources of good NOS and used tubes.  I've actually done pretty well on ebay in general, with only one gassy tube that would not clear overnight in the tube tester.

certain hot items like 6HS6 have got insane prices because the single-ended amp boys overseas found a reason to drool over them.  6AU6 is a reasonable sub for that one, for instance, with only minimum retune needed if in an RF amp.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 03:06:56 PM »

Hold on. If I have them, I will ship them to you. Pay me the shipping only. I have a pile of tubes someone gave me, and they are collecting dust.
W5RKL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 07:41:04 PM »

I am the proud owner of a nice looking Drake -4 line.  And, I want to lay in a few spare tubes...

I placed an order with an internet source and BLAM!!! backordered on three of the five items ordered.  A check on eBay shows greatly inflated prices for unknown quality...

So, who has good 6HS6, 12Be6 and 6BZ6s?Huh  Or have I just bought a pig in a poke??

Thanks

NY0Y
Raleigh

Try

http://www.vacuumtubes.net/index.html

73s
Mike
W5RKL
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 01:59:25 AM »

If all else fails, go to Dayton. It's a month away, and there are usually some reputable tube sellers in the flea market.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 09:52:38 AM »

antique radio supply, SMD sales, toober on ebay... frank's electronics in louisiana was a surprise find for one Compactron for me... maybe another ham on your regular net... lots of sources of good NOS and used tubes.  I've actually done pretty well on ebay in general, with only one gassy tube that would not clear overnight in the tube tester.

certain hot items like 6HS6 have got insane prices because the single-ended amp boys overseas found a reason to drool over them.  6AU6 is a reasonable sub for that one, for instance, with only minimum retune needed if in an RF amp.

Antique Electronics Supply used to be good for most any tubes but they seem to be shifting their focus more exclusively towards audio-fan-boy tubes. I know I got a good number of Loctal tubes and some NOS 807 variants from them a few years ago at closeout prices as they were thinning their stock. Still, 2 of the 3 named by the OP are in stock at AES.

For breadth and depth of stock the best I know of is ESRC (although I think they go by a different name on E-bay): http://www.esrcvacuumtubes.com/
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 06:29:56 PM »

Raleigh,

I have a 12BE6 and a 6BZ6. I will test them on my AC5UP approved Heathkit TC-2 Tube Tester. If they measure good, where do you want me to send them?

Vinnie
WB4SPT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 07:07:18 PM »

Me too.  I've been scrounging places to find spares for my r4a/t4x.   I take it you have a later R4, since i use the 12BZ6, and the later versions use the 6BZ6.

Ebay has been good in this regard. Also, investigate craigslist, since lots of TV tube caddies come up locally and you can sometimes pick out just what you want.

Yes, the 6HS6 prices are out of line.  I could use a spare also.  One more thing;  just last week I noticed that my S-meter had some warm up drift during the first 5 minutes, with about 6 S units of downward drift.  It was a gassy 12BA6, that passed a TV6 tester.
WB6DXR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 01:35:28 PM »

Hi I was wondering if you found a source for the tubes you needed. I have quite a few and a good calibrated Hickok tube tester. Please let me know how things are going for you. I am new to this type of interaction on a forum. 73 Les WB6DXR email is wb6dxr@gmail.com
K4OAH

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 02:16:39 PM »

Raleigh -

ESRC1 in Tampa is a good source.  The 6HS6 IS expensive.  It was a late design, and not used in much commercial equipment, so not many made.  It IS however an excellent mixer for HF radios.  A reasonable substitute is a 6AH6 if you don't demand peak performance.  On the other hand, a 'good' 6HS6 will likely last the rest of the life of the radio.

Join us at DrakeRadio@Yahoo Groups!

73, Garey - K4OAH
Glen Allen, VA

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>
W2WDX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 06:22:33 PM »

Sorry have to mention, I sell tubes for all amateur gear, either NOS or used US made domestic tubes, tested on a modern Amplitrex digital laboratory tube tester built in 2010. Not some old Heathkit that only tests for emission and shorts.

Also our pricing is not in line with the current "audiophoolery" pricing. We buy huge lots, and we price according to the needs of the amateur radio market, not the audio market where they are used to over-paying for everything. ($7000 for a 10' pair of speaker cables ... Come on!) 

www.vikingvintage.com

If you don't see it listed email us.

John, W2WDX
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 01:57:31 AM by W2WDX » Logged

N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 02:15:25 PM »

Try "Vacuum Tubes, Inc." in Florida.

They carry both new in box and used, tested tubes.

They put together a set of n.i.b. Zenith-branded loctals for my TransOceanic without any extra charge!

N9LCD
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: