Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: soliciting advice on placement of new diamond antenna on mobile home  (Read 2999 times)
N1JAO

Ignore
« on: April 19, 2012, 04:37:15 PM »

I am close to buying the new diamond SD330 Automatic antenna to put on my mobile home of which I have included a hyperlink below. I'm not quite sure if the hyperlink works, but essentially where I want to put the antenna is on the inside Fender right above the right front  Tire. What kind of a mount of what I need for this kind of an installation? I think diamond makes several kinds of mounts and would appreciate hearing from anyone who has installed an antenna like this on the location I describe. The radio I'm going to get is the Kenwood TS480SAT.

thank you
Robert
N0JAO

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=gn1&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1280&bih=832&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=wbDEBDYLmRarqM:&imgrefurl=http://www.rvt.com/rvdetail4803978.htm&docid=bHc745u7CjnHFM&imgurl=http://www.rvt.com/photos2/3978/4803978/4803978_3.jpg&w=800&h=600&ei=s52QT8r4D6OH6QGgxdmtBA&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=416&sig=103597461206561153291&page=1&tbnh=154&tbnw=208&start=0&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:12,s:0,i:96&tx=130&ty=105

N1JAO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 05:48:57 PM »

Wow 26 views and no replies? Oh well, I will wait and hopefully someone will answer.
KC7YRA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 06:59:56 PM »

Well, the reason for so few replies is because it is kinda a hard question.  It is kinda a big antenna that you want to hook to a relatively weak piece of the vehicle.

Traditionally, something like this is used

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantm/3257.html

However, I would not feel comfortable that this will hold worth a darn.  I would look at custom fabricating a mount or a different antenna all together. 

Brad
N5NA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 07:18:19 AM »

Why don't you mount something to the ladder in the back?  That would get it up above the body of the motor home.

Some RV mounting ideas are at http://www.k0bg.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=1003

There are a couple of ladder mount pics at http://www.scorpionantennas.com/index.php?option=com_igallery&view=gallery&id=2&Itemid=66

73, Alan N5NA
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 07:21:33 AM by N5NA » Logged
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 08:20:33 AM »

There is nothing wrong with a hood seam mount, albeit not ideal.

If you go to the gallery as noted above, and look closely, you'll see the VHF antennas mounted atop K5HAB's motor home. He mounted an aluminum plate, 36 inches square, mounted about 2 inches away from the top on standoffs. This allowed the use of NMO mounts for the antennas. One could argue it is not ideal either, but sometime you do what you have to do.

WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 08:57:13 AM »

I use a Diamond K400 to hold a similar small screwdriver antenna (Yaesu Atas-120) onto the side of a car. I sawed off the trunk lip portion and secured the K400 with four screws. A backing plate would be good if you can manage it.

BTW that is a nice RV and the price is right.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 08:58:50 AM by WX7G » Logged
N1JAO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 02:30:30 PM »

Thanks- I love the RV and it fits just right! I want to mount it like this picture shows but do not know if the bracket is available commercially. This is exactly the spot I want to mount it too. If not, I will try to get the Diamond mount and see if it fits.

http://www.k0bg.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=1526
N1JAO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 02:34:33 PM »

Actually if anyone can identify the mount in the picture above , I would be grateful.

N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 11:22:17 AM »

With out being very specific, It all depends. If you can weld or bolt a plate say 2 inches wide, 1/4 inch thick  and a foot or so long sticking out from under the vehicle on the corner ( perhaps drivers side rear) and mount the antenna there.  you can also find or make a bumper mount, it may be as easy as drilling a 1/2 inch hole in the bumper, or a trailer hitch mount, either direct into the hitch, or mounted to the side on an extender plate, so you can still tow. And of course, there is the ladder mount , and punching a hole in the middle of the roof, either cab or camper.  You have many options, depending on the specific antenna, mount, type of operation,  and how much use you are going to have. An ATAS 120 on  a hood lip mount is a good option for ease of install and a minimal antenna that will work from 2m/440 to40 m. The other end of the spectrum would be something like a scorpion or a HI-Q on a front bumper mount for some serious rf work and much stronger setup needed to hold it while in motion.  and you can always use a drive on plate that you drop a push up mast and small 2 or 3 element beam ( ma5b ?), or even a small vertical, ( 5btv ?)you can put up when parked.   do some google on  homebrew antenna mounts, and check out places like high sierra.com, K0BG.com, Scorpion antennas and such.  there are many options,  but first get something up and get  on the air, then work on improving it  to the best you can.  Mobile radio is great fun.
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 04:09:46 AM »

Actually if anyone can identify the mount in the picture above , I would be grateful.

It looks quite homebuilt. I reckon if you took your RV and the antenna mount (3/8 or NMO etc) to a metal fabricator, took a picture of the bracket you want and say "make me one" they'll knock one up in an hour or two from scratch. I would be using 3mm plate to build it providing the gap down the side of the hood is wide enough.
N1JAO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 03:29:15 PM »

Thank you very much to everyone for their suggestions, and I really appreciate it. I went ahead and bought the Tar Heel antenna and have grounded it quite well to the letter mount and a fixed a radial to the roof of the motorhome. It's working quite well, and I am having a good time with it.

Thank you again to everyone for your suggestions!

Robert
N1JAO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: