Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roof Mount for Small Beam Antenna  (Read 2077 times)
W3SFG

Ignore
« on: April 20, 2012, 06:23:53 AM »

Does anybody have recommendations for installing a small tri-band beam on the roof of an old house? I don't know if the chimney will provide adequate support, but haven't been able to find much information about other approaches (e.g. through-roof mounting into the attic?). Could a chimney mount be adequately supported by a few guy wires on the mast?

Thanks!

Steven, W3SFG
K2QB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 06:37:06 AM »

There are numerous articles around about mounting tribanders on a roof. I have an Optibeam OB9-5 mounted on a 9' Glenn Martin tower atop my two story house. The Optibeam is 9 elements, 5 bands on an 18 foot boom so you should have no problems installing a small tribander on your roof. I actually had a TA-33 on the roof of my first QTH as well. Do a search for Glenn Martin roof towers across the forums and you should get several hits or feel free to contact me and I'd be glad to supply you with details. Good luck!

Jim K2QB
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 07:04:11 AM »

Jim,

I woulnd't advise a chimney mount.  I once lived in an older house and had a Mini-Quad mounted with straps on a brick chimney.  Over a perioad of two years, it almost took the chimney down.  Guy lines on the mast may help some, but my Mini-Quad was extremely small, and was only about 2' above the top of the chimney.  I believe a properly installed roof tower would hold up a lot longer with a lot less potential for damage to the house.

Don, K2DC

WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 01:20:31 PM »

Besides the roof towers I've also seen mounts where the rotator was in the attic with
a mast extending up through the roof.  I think one article was in one of the volumes of
the ARRL Antenna Compendium, but I'd have to look back through to confirm that.
WA2OLZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 05:22:41 PM »

Besides the roof towers I've also seen mounts where the rotator was in the attic with
a mast extending up through the roof.  I think one article was in one of the volumes of
the ARRL Antenna Compendium, but I'd have to look back through to confirm that.

I wrote one a l-o-n-g time ago. I've done it twice (two different QTHs) and about to do it again! Here's a link: http://archive.org/details/73-magazine-1986-09. The article is titled High and Dry on page 50.  Click on the download method of your choice on the left side of the page.

73/
Jack - WA2OLZ
W3SFG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 08:55:30 AM »

Thanks for all of the help! I will review the articles describing a through-roof mount, but probably favor the Glen Martin roof tower approach.

Thanks again for the quick responses!

Steven, W3SFG
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: