Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roof Tower - Alternative to Glen Martin  (Read 7004 times)
MEHAM

Ignore
« on: April 20, 2012, 09:27:33 AM »

I am looking for a roof tower; I really like the Glen Martin towers (RT-424) but they have been unresponsive in getting back to me with any information (sent 4 e-mails, left a voicemail, spoke to someone all over the last two weeks) so I'm guessing they are too busy for new business.

Searched around the internet but I wasn't able to find anything similar for a rooftop tower; found that Rhon has a tripod for the roof but it doesn't look as substantial as the glen tower so I'm not sure that is for me; would appreciate any input from folks for an alternative vendor or solution for a ~4.5ft tower!

I tentatively plan to mount the following on the tower:
- 2m/440 Antenna (10ft)
- Yagi (2m)
- Weather Station
- Wifi AP/Antenna
- HF dipole support for one end (TBD)
- Cell Phone Booster antenna (TBD)
- HDTV Antenna (TBD)

Glen Martin Rooftop Towers:
http://glenmartin.com/catalog/page14.html

Rhon Rooftop Tripods:
http://www.rohnnet.com/tripod-rooftop-mount

Thanks...

Louis

W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 11:38:37 AM »

Louis --

Since the Internet is global, I have no idea if your QTH is a desert island, jungle, or Central Park West.

The Rohn tripods are suitable for a 5 to 10 foot mast with TV, FM or small antennas.
The Glen Martin is a tower that mounts to roof structure (rafters) that can handle antennas with a larger wind-loads.

BOTH of these tripods/towers are sold by AES Stores -- Pick one!
What question will Glen Martin answer -- that you can not ask here, OR
order the product from a local dealer??

w9gb
===
Glen Martin Engineering
13620 Old Hwy 40
Boonville, MO  65233
http://glenmartin.com/amateur.html
8:00am - 5:00pm CST
(660) 882-2734 Local
(800) 486-1223 Toll Free
Info@glenmartin.com
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 11:48:47 AM by W9GB » Logged
MEHAM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 01:39:00 PM »

w9gb,

Thanks for the information, I figured that the ROHN was meant more so for small equipment, it's good to hear you confirm that.

I didn't realize that AES sold the glen equipment, I looked around but didn't find that out in my searches, that is great to know, I will contact them!  Appreciate your response.  My inquiring via e-mail and phone to Glen Martin was to request a quote with any shipping and tax costs included; as some of the items didn't have prices on the website.

Louis
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 04:15:44 PM »

I'd go with the gen martin. I have one, and its great.

A japanese company makes a similiar product, no experience with them:

http://www.cd-corp.com/eng/twr/roof-twr_eng.pdf
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 04:19:10 PM by KF6ABU » Logged
KL3HY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 08:17:10 PM »

If you don't have to use a rotator for the yagi, I'd go with a 5' Rohn and then guy it if necessary.  The Glen Martin is nice, but boy is it spendy.
K0CWO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 09:08:50 AM »

Try this:

http://www.hy-gain.com/Product.php?productid=RTR-424
MEHAM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 11:20:13 AM »

K0CWO: thanks that looks like it has some potential, haven't seen this one before!
NJ3U

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 07:45:28 AM »

Louis,  dependent on your interest in DIY I would suggest that the project can be done by yourself.  My 8 footer is all T6-6061 aircraft alum. 
http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/dad250/Mosley%20Beam%20Antenna%20Project/?albumview=slideshow

BTW, even if you go for buy vs build there are many considerations to address in mounting.  Drop me a note if you are interested.
73 NJ3U Rory
MEHAM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 03:54:58 PM »

Roy,

Thanks -- very cool set of photos!  I would love to build one myself but I have a few too many projects lined up that I want to work on this spring already.  Thanks for sharing, looks really cool.  Makes me have second thoughts about not initially planning to put a rotator up as well; I guess I can always add one in the future without too much trouble.

HAM radio is such a rabbit hole sometimes isn't it?  Get involved in one aspect and it opens up 10 other possibilities. Smiley

Louis
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 05:29:37 PM »

I have the 4.5 foot Glen Martin on my roof anf I have a 3 element SteppIR (65lbs) with the 30/40M driven element about 4 feet above the top of the tower been there for over 4 years now and no problems at all. Looks like the Hy-Gain is an extact copy of the GM.
VE2VMS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 11:07:41 PM »

It seems that Glen Martin is not wanting my business either. I've also sent 2 emails requesting info without any response.  Not even a acknowledgement.  So I'm also looking for an alternative.  I'm planning to build something based on the RT-936.  Does anyone know which size and thickness of 6061 T6 aluminium is used on this model? 

73 tu eee
NJ3U

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 04:33:27 AM »

For the model 936 the legs and mounting feet are 1/4 inch by 2 by 2 angle.  The diagonal x style bracing is 1/8 by 1 flat stock and the horizontal bracing for the rotator shelf is 1/8 by 1 1/2 by 1 1/2 angle.   Drop me a pm @ NJ3U at Arrl .net for more info on my project and learnings.  73 NJ3U  Rory
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 04:47:05 AM »

Texas Towers will send you a catalog with Glen Martin stuff and prices, plus most other
material including antennas, rotatoras etc.  Texas Towers.com should get a reply.

Allen KA5N
KB1PXU

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 09:06:58 AM »

I'm somewhat surprised.  I just had a really good experience with Glenn Martin.  They always answered the phone. I called a couple of times.  The lady answering the phone could not answer my question so she sent me a PDF of the assembly manual for the 8ft roof tower I bought.  That cleared up everything.  Very long lead time for delivery though.

AI4U

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 10:29:21 AM »

I just ordered an RT-1832 from Texas Towers last week....it will ship directly from GM in 3 - 4 weeks....I have owned these roof towers before and they are very sturdy and great quailty..I have always received great customer service from GM...I called themn directly to get the owners manual in pdf emailed to me, they were happy to do so...but I decided to order through Texas Towers...
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: