Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vanity Ramblings  (Read 28236 times)
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2012, 07:39:37 PM »

I gave up trying to guess what other people are thinking many years ago.  Maybe they wanted a Gitmo contact so bad they heard what they wanted to hear.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 04:47:18 PM »

My original call (N1ZPI) brought about a nickname that I got tired of.  I liked the idea of having my initials in my call and therefore requested K1CJS, W1CJS, and N1CJS, all of which seemed to be available in 1998 when I put in my request. 

I don't really care about a 1x2 or 2x1, and the hassle of trying to get one is a bit too much to go through as far as I'm concerned.  The only thing I don't like is the continual fee the vanity call requires.  As I see it, once the call has been issued it costs no more to maintain the records than a sequential call costs.  For that reason alone, I may just get a sequential call when and if I upgrade to extra.

Vanity calls are nice to have, but they're way overblown as far as I'm concerned now.
W0DV

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2012, 10:14:53 PM »

Just like the code issue, another excuse for some idiot to whine
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2012, 03:14:22 PM »

I switched from KI6LO as a sequential issued call (from 1987 when I moved from TX to CA) to W5DQ as a vanity issue after my father passed over the log on Christmas Day 2008. I wanted to do that as a memory of him and for his positive impact on my ham radio hobby and engineering career.

And with it being a nice old time 1x2, there was that incentive too Smiley

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
AD1E

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 08:02:21 PM »

For me, passed the Tech and General a year ago and got issued KF7RLT.

Operating from a HOA wth a stealth end fed wire in a pine tree with only 100 watts, i cant tell you how many times i could not offically complete a QSO due to conditions, power limits and less than optimal antenna.  I could get about 4 out of the 6 copied by the other station and then have them give up and go on.  

After passing my Extra in April of this year, i wanted a 2x1 or 1x2.  Being in 7 land, anytime a one of those comes up there is always 15-25 hams competing for it.  I went through two of those "contests" for a 7 call and gave up

My profession is providing armor protective products to the US military so my screen name on a lot of forums is something like "armor developer" or AD so the first call that came up with AD NOT in 7 land, i went for it.  

Now its AD1E.  I ilke it and its mine.  
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 08:07:21 PM by AD1E » Logged
N3DF

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 01:13:38 PM »

Pretty sure Gitmo is still a KG4 followed by two letters. The US used the 2x3s; in any event, I've never had someone ask me if I've run into Jack Nicholson on base...

:-D

[/quote]

The abbreviation is 'GTMO', not 'Gitmo'.

Neil N3DF
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2012, 07:53:21 PM »

Perhaps, but you might  be surprised by how "Gitmo" is recognized by those of us who've been there.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2012, 06:19:03 PM »

I had WN8IJI, and then WA8IJI. They issued W8JI in parallel. They told me I could keep one or the udder. Since I didn't really like udders, I kept one.

I wish though that they would bgo back to making a person in 4 district be a 4. If there was a good two-letter four call, I would take it. But they are all taken by people in 8 land.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2012, 07:45:52 AM »

I had WN8IJI, and then WA8IJI. They issued W8JI in parallel. They told me I could keep one or the udder. Since I didn't really like udders, I kept one.

I wish though that they would bgo back to making a person in 4 district be a 4. If there was a good two-letter four call, I would take it. But they are all taken by people in 8 land.

My call ends with a single dit, I see yours ends with two dits. Lots of times the DX only gets the "N3Q" part of my call and I have to work to get the "N3QE" across. If I had my chance to do it over again, I'd choose a call that was longer but with more dahs.

Many times in marginal conditions, the first letter the DX will get is the "Q". So I now see why "xxOM" is such a desired call. It's longer than a call with just a dit or two, but dahs are much easier to copy in the noise.

There's a contest call in Spain I hear during some tests. "EE5E". I see so many busted versions of this (e.g. "I5E", "E5SE" etc.) Dahs are good!
NW0LF

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2012, 05:05:42 AM »

Gitmo or GTMO is KG4.  I worked KG4KL yesterday on 20 Meters.  Yes, my call is a vanity.  I was issued KG4BOM, but I have a love for wolves.  My first vanity call was K9WLF.  I just recently changed it to NW0LF.  The only 1X2 I want is W0LF, but that is a club callsign.

Tom, "Wolfie", NW0LF

catch you on the air!!!!!
W5ESE

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2012, 10:18:29 AM »

My call ends with a single dit, I see yours ends with two dits. Lots of times the DX only gets the "N3Q" part of my call and I have to work to get the "N3QE" across. If I had my chance to do it over again, I'd choose a call that was longer but with more dahs.

Many times in marginal conditions, the first letter the DX will get is the "Q". So I now see why "xxOM" is such a desired call. It's longer than a call with just a dit or two, but dahs are much easier to copy in the noise.

There's a contest call in Spain I hear during some tests. "EE5E". I see so many busted versions of this (e.g. "I5E", "E5SE" etc.) Dahs are good!
I've worked his Swedish cousin, SE5E.
AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2012, 06:05:59 PM »

Sometimes, I have a problem on phone because of my 2X1 vanity call.  I consistently get DX stations saying "we copy A B 4 D; question mark. What is the last letter of your call?"  It's the only thing I dislike about my call.  I did not like any of my prior sequentially assigned calls; KE4IAQ, KU4BV, AF4BL. For that reason, I like the vanity system.  In concept, I agree with others who wish the FCC would limit vanity calls to their assigned district.  However, in today's society, the way folks move around so much, I believe it's a little unrealistic.

WA4HBK

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2012, 10:17:13 AM »

KG4AA-KG4ZZ was assigned by the FCC to the Chief of naval Operations for use in Gitmo. If I remember correctly KC4AAA-KC4ZZZ was assigned to CNO for Antarctic operations. The local base commander in Gitmo issued the callsigns, if it wasn't in use you could have it. Policy, but not regulations, required a stateside ham license. Actual license issuance was done by the base communications officer. Still have my originals. Since Gitmo fell under CNO purview we weren't limited by the stateside restrictions at the time on operation under 14.200 on 20m. We could operate all the way down to 14.150. Only problem we had was none of the CO stations could talk to us directly. Did have a couple of QSOs in an indirect manner. Talking to a stateside station and saying that the CO was 5/4 or whatever and the CO station replying to the stateside station with my report. That way we could say with a straight face that we weren't talking to each other directly. Great place to operate from, enjoyed my 5 1/2 years there as KG4HC.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2012, 11:12:53 AM »

I wish though that they would bgo back to making a person in 4 district be a 4.

The problem with that is forcing hams to give up calls if they move across callsign district borders. And because the districts have different numbers of hams, you may not be able to get a corresponding call in the new district.

That's why they changed the rules ~35 years ago.

There is one way it could work, though.....

If you let the first letter be W, K or N, and the rest of the letters be any letter A through Z, there are well over a million 2x3 callsigns per district. So WA1ABC would have WA2ABC, WA3ABC, etc., reserved for him/her in the other districts.

Since there are far fewer 1x2, 2x1, 1x3, etc., there would need to be a seniority/license class system for deciding who gets which shorter call.

73 de Jim, N2EY

WV4L

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2012, 07:13:00 AM »

Sometimes, I have a problem on phone because of my 2X1 vanity call.  I consistently get DX stations saying "we copy A B 4 D; question mark. What is the last letter of your call?"  It's the only thing I dislike about my call.  I did not like any of my prior sequentially assigned calls; KE4IAQ, KU4BV, AF4BL. For that reason, I like the vanity system.  In concept, I agree with others who wish the FCC would limit vanity calls to their assigned district.  However, in today's society, the way folks move around so much, I believe it's a little unrealistic.

[/quote]

Yeah, I have ran into that issue a few times as well. I simply state that it is a 2X1 call and they get it.  I did not like my original call (KI4UBD) and wanted something shorter and in my district.  So in my search for a new call once I upgraded to Extra ; my requirements were for a 1X2 (nearly impossible to get in the 4 district) or a 2X1 in the 4 district which worked out.

I'm happy with this call an intend stay with it.

Wayne C.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: