Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vanity Ramblings  (Read 28768 times)
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2012, 05:26:04 PM »

Ive had the same call since I was a tech. I like it. When my grand father passes away, I will take his call. No need to have another call in between.
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2012, 06:00:04 PM »

Most of the members of the Kansas City DX Club have 1x2's.  Working DX, the shorter the call, the fewer letter that have to be copied or figured out.  I like to contest, so my 1x2 (vanity) takes less time.  I switched back in 2003 when I got active again.  My prior call was KØLMZ, but being inactive so long, it had no particular recognition to anyone but me.  So I didn't mind switching.  Not sure if I would have otherwise. 
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2012, 11:53:45 AM »

Ive had the same call since I was a tech. I like it. When my grand father passes away, I will take his call. No need to have another call in between.

.... other than your current call is quite a mouthful on SSB (or fistful on CW). If you contest at all, I'd recommend unless you current call holds some significant meaning to you, retire it and get a shorter call. Then when your gramps passed, pick up his call and be proud of it.

I picked up my father's call after he passed over the log. I had a 2x3 '5' call (WB5UZU) and then came to CA in 1986 and got a 2x2 '6' call (KI6LO ... as was required back then after moving into a new call area). In 2008 Dad passed and I picked up his nice 1x2 '5' call (W5DQ) even though I am still in the '6' area. I plan on moving back to the midwest in a few years and probably will end up in '5' land again so my journey will be complete Smiley

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2012, 06:17:50 PM »

Mine is:

My first name
A lot lighter than my original

That's all.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2012, 05:58:27 AM »

Vanity call signs are not any different than peoples opinions of vanity license plates,I simply got mine because at my age I can still remember my initials.
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2013, 11:15:56 AM »

My call belonged to my Father and he wanted me to have it. End of story.
K3NPO

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2013, 10:53:42 PM »

I applied for my vanity the day I received my call sign from my first licensing. I already knew I wanted it and that it was available and I didn't want to sit on my original call sign any more than I had to so people would just know me by my new vanity. To me this vanity is very important since I've been doing martial arts since 2000, and it looks like the word "kenpo" which is the current style I am studying presently. When I saw this call sign was available, I just knew it was meant to be my persona in the ham world.

Cat, K3NPO
AB2YC

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2013, 07:02:46 AM »

I have no real issues with the vanity call but it would
be nice if hams had the proper call for their area.

WE6BB

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2013, 10:56:37 AM »

I have not been very active as a ham through most of my time as a ham and have no "emotional" attachment to my sequential 2x3 call sign initially given to me. I recently decided to get more active and upgraded from Technician to Extra. I took my test over the past weekend and it was reflected in FCC database yesterday (Thursday). I have applied for a 2x2 vanity... I'll be curious to see how long it takes to receive my new call sign. I applied yesterday and it currently shows as "pending" and history of application is showing last action was "Redlight Review Completed" today. Any guesses as to how long it will take?
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2013, 11:40:22 AM »

I have no real issues with the vanity call but it would
be nice if hams had the proper call for their area.

Why?

73 de Jim, N2EY
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2013, 04:21:31 PM »

The obvious answer is because the numbers then can be associated with a particular geographic area. To take the problem that not being the case causes: imagine if all callsign prefixes were available to all countries.  N2 might be New York or New Jersey -- or it might be Taiwan or Madagascar. 

I would love to go back to when if you were outside your call district you had to identify as such, for example N2EY/3...

water under the bridge maybe, but old habits die hard...
N3DF

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2013, 12:08:39 PM »

Ah yes.  I fondly remember the days when the principal 2 meter traffic in the DC area was dozens of hams announcing that they had crossed a bridge over the Potomac "N3DF mobile 3 now mobile 4." 

Neil N3DF
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2013, 02:05:24 PM »

The obvious answer is because the numbers then can be associated with a particular geographic area.

Except that the particular geographic area can be HUGE!

4 land extends from just below the Mason Dixon Line to the Florida Keys and from the Atlantic to the Mississippi. 5 land from the state of Mississippi to New Mexico and from the Gulf to Arkansas. 0 land from the Mississippi to the Rockies. 7 land is HUGE - from Canada and the Pacific Northwest to Mexico!

In other words, having the call match the district didn't really tell you all that much except in a few special cases. For many hams, the much bigger issue was having to change calls every time they moved across a call district boundary. The rules changed 35+ years ago, because we hams wanted them to. 

To take the problem that not being the case causes: imagine if all callsign prefixes were available to all countries.  N2 might be New York or New Jersey -- or it might be Taiwan or Madagascar.

Not the same thing at all, because different countries are administered by different governments. 

I would love to go back to when if you were outside your call district you had to identify as such, for example N2EY/3...

Except that was never the case.

The way it actually worked was this:

Until the mid-1970s (not sure of the exact date) you had to submit a station location to FCC to get a station license. It had to be an actual location; a PO box wasn't enough. The call FCC issued would match the station location.

Whenever you operated away from the station location on the license, you had to use the slant bar or the "mobile" or "portable" voice designator. This was true regardless of district or distance. I was "mobile three" or whatever until I pulled into the driveway.

Then FCC decided that the call didn't have to match the district. They also decided that you didn't have to indicate portable or mobile either. Not sure which went away first or if they went away together. I seem to recall that this was done in part because FCC's DF capabilities rendered it moot.

I had a 3 land call for ten years, from 1967 to 1977. Then I moved to New York state and got this 2 land 1x2, sequentially issued.

After a few years in 2 land, I moved back to 3 land. At the time, I could have gotten a 3 land 1x2, but if I did, FCC would not have reissued this call. So I kept it, because it meant some other ham could have a 1x2.

Now it is 34 years since I moved back to 3 land. I think I'll keep it.

73 de Jim, N2EY
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2013, 04:46:50 PM »

I had a 3 land call for ten years, from 1967 to 1977. Then I moved to New York state and got this 2 land 1x2, sequentially issued.

After a few years in 2 land, I moved back to 3 land. At the time, I could have gotten a 3 land 1x2, but if I did, FCC would not have reissued this call. So I kept it, because it meant some other ham could have a 1x2.

Now it is 34 years since I moved back to 3 land. I think I'll keep it.

73 de Jim, N2EY

I like that one can keep a former call, I just think on HF the requirement to identify as /3 (etc.) should have been kept.
I find it funny in a sad way when I hear a DX station working US amateurs by call sign number and think they are really getting 7's and 0's when they call for those areas...

anyone know what percentage of ham calls are correct for their current residence?  I would guess about 80%  Huh
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: