Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL-QST  (Read 9624 times)
WA8MEA

Ignore
« on: April 20, 2012, 10:50:51 AM »

I am sure there will be some naysayers out there, but probably for entirely different reasons/topics/subjects.

I just wanted to say that the folks at QST Ham Ads (particularly Zoe....) are the greatest folks in the world to work with.  Professional to the core.  Plus extraordinarily friendly!  And friendly is something that has been sorely lacking from American businesses lately.

(BTW, the ads DO work!)

73, Bill

« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 10:55:52 AM by WA8MEA » Logged
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 02:28:30 PM »

QST is a great catalogue.

The Antenna issue is a joke.

The historical perspective of ham past hams and  equipment is great.

Anything technical written by N0AX and W1ZR is worth reading.

Its just a shame that a large portion of the magazine is just a catalog with technical tidbits.

The January issue of QEX was a insult to subscribers, 1 or 2 pages of nothing. Its hard to believe they ask for so much for a subscription to QEX and deliver such an appalling issue. I thought the publisher forgot to staple
in the rest of the  pages!  I am almost expecting to receive just the cover in the future, "sorry we have no articles, here is your cover" What a joke.

The lets get into the ARRL books, they look like bad  copies done on a photocopy machine. You cant see the pictures they are that bad! The quicker the ARRL goes to digital publication the better it will be  because all their published material is really of such poor quality its a rip off.

I do however mind supporting them for the good work that they do, I even donate!

I am sure there will be some naysayers out there, but probably for entirely different reasons/topics/subjects.

I just wanted to say that the folks at QST Ham Ads (particularly Zoe....) are the greatest folks in the world to work with.  Professional to the core.  Plus extraordinarily friendly!  And friendly is something that has been sorely lacking from American businesses lately.

(BTW, the ads DO work!)

73, Bill

WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 11:14:17 AM »

The fee one pays to ARRL is not for the magazine but for membership in the organization.  Much like one pays to AARP or the NRA.  The magazine is a benefit. 
And I agree that some issues are better than others and to it seems to have to much advertising.  But the advertising helps keep the cost down.  Besides, where else you gonna find all the new stuff that comes out?

73 de Rick wn2c
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 08:25:10 AM »

The fee one pays to ARRL is not for the magazine but for membership in the organization.  Much like one pays to AARP or the NRA.  The magazine is a benefit.... 

I suppose if you want to call it that....

It's really too bad, though.  QST used to be a quality publication--even in recent years.  Most of the news and stories were in the front of the issue, and the advertizing was in the back, except for a couple of 'premiere' pages.  Now, there are more front pages with ads and the ads in the back are migrating into the front, with stories continued into the back where the ads are... were... you get the meaning.

The same thing happened with the website--more advertizing and garbage is featured than before the 'remake'.  Yeah, the ARRL may need the income, but the way they're doing it is a real disservice to what they say they mean to the hobby.  No wonder why their membership is declining as far as renewing members go.
K5XS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 01:13:07 PM »

(Realizing the thread has morphed...)

I love QST, and I am not the least bothered by the ads, how many there are, or where they appear.  I like reading through them to see what's new every month.

As for content, I think it's--as it's been in the past--reflective of what people are submitting.  I am sure they would be happy to take good articles from anyone here on antennas or most any other worthy topic.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 02:11:13 PM »

QST is a great catalogue.

Its just a shame that a large portion of the magazine is just a catalog with technical tidbits.

A few months ago I went through a recent QST from cover to cover and counted all the pages devoted to ads and articles.

What I found was this:

A few pages of ads in the front, plus the contents and League stuff.

Then the articles.

Then the recurring columns.

Then more ads.

By actual count, the ad content (including League ads and the covers) was just under half the total page count.

This is about the same as it has been since the beginning. (I have every QST from 1927 onwards, and some earlier). What has changed is that the articles are now all grouped together, as are the ads, rather than articles starting in the front and then finishing in the back, mixed in with ads.

Like it or not, ads pay the freight.

If QST seems less technical than in the old days, there are a couple of reasons:

1) QEX gets the more-advanced technical stuff
2) Readers complain when there's too much technical stuff in QST
3) In order for an article to appear, somebody has to write it. The staff can only write so many. Look in old QSTs and you'll see how many were not written by the ARRL staff.

73 de Jim, N2EY
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 03:26:10 PM »

I also enjoy QST each month.

73 james
W9CW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 02:02:35 PM »

It's amazing some hams just "dont' get it" regarding display advertising in QST, or in any magazine.  Without display advertising "paying the freight," there wouldn't be a QST magazine.

The business naivete of hams sometimes is simply unbelievable!

Don W9CW
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 02:26:03 PM »

The primary way that I learn about new products is the ads in QST. Not much ham radio related advertising on TV these days  Cheesy

W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 04:03:54 AM »

The primary way that I learn about new products is the ads in QST. Not much ham radio related advertising on TV these days  Cheesy

Wouldn't it be great if Google and all the other trackers noted our searches and web history and put ads for ham gear on all the other pages we viewed?

Sam
W9KDX
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 03:59:29 AM »

It's amazing that some don't get it--the ads are now taking over the space once used for articles.  There is nothing wrong with ads, but when you have to wade through them to find the real tidbits of information in a "journal" like QST, things are going too far.  Hey, I like looking at equipment and 'dreaming' of the perfect station just as much as the next guy--but moderation should be the key, and it's obvious that key is being lost.
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 12:18:42 PM »

The January issue of QEX was a insult to subscribers, 1 or 2 pages of nothing. Its hard to believe they ask for so much for a subscription to QEX and deliver such an appalling issue. I thought the publisher forgot to staple
in the rest of the  pages!  I am almost expecting to receive just the cover in the future, "sorry we have no articles, here is your cover" What a joke.

QEX has turned into a joke ever since Larry Wolfgang took over as editor to replace Doug Smith.   They have even stooped to publishing pseudo-science antenna articles!  Whats next, UFO sightings?

Many of the latest articles are just filler material.  How many articles do we need to read about the number of ground radials needed for a vertical antenna or using OCTAVE to calculate L networks???

Gene
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 07:22:27 PM »

There is nothing wrong with ads, but when you have to wade through them to find the real tidbits of information in a "journal" like QST, things are going too far.

When's the last time you had to wade through ads to read the articles?  Years ago, many articles were continued in the back of the magazine, in among the ads.  But these days the center-of-the-magazine articles are presented in whole, with no interspersion of ads.  Yes, in the front of the magazine there are some ads mixed with the editorial, the letters to the editor, and such, but it's hardly a burden to turn an extra page or two to find what you want.

Ads and dues are not independent variables: demanding fewer ads is tantamount to saying you're willing to pay higher dues to cover the shortfall in revenue.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 05:31:00 AM »

When's the last time you had to wade through ads to read the articles? ....

Didn't say that.  Said you had to hunt for the tidbits of real information.  And you still have to.... 
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 06:45:16 AM »

When's the last time you had to wade through ads to read the articles? ....

Didn't say that.  Said you had to hunt for the tidbits of real information.  And you still have to.... 

Your words: "There is nothing wrong with ads, but when you have to wade through them to find the real tidbits of information in a "journal" like QST, things are going too far."

"Them" refers to the ads, I presume.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: