Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL-QST  (Read 9387 times)
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2012, 08:37:05 AM »

It's amazing that some don't get it--the ads are now taking over the space once used for articles.

What are you comparing to? The years (decades nearly) when QST had trouble rounding up advertisers?

There are now lots of new little companies running ads in QST, and having them increase their advertisering presence (not just the big companies with full page or two page ads... remember Gotham verticals?) shows anyone, oldtimer or newcomer, that ham radio is interesting, active, going in new directions.

In my head, it looks more like a 50's QST advertiser mix, and that's a good thing.

The "advertising showcase" months - e.g. Antenna, Dayton, etc., are a huge success.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 05:21:07 PM »

I said 'tidbits of information', not articles.
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2012, 07:08:04 PM »

I said 'tidbits of information', not articles.

This reminds me of the time I was on a jury a few years back, listening to a case in which one party pointed out that the other had falsely claimed to have earned a master's degree.  When asked about this, the second party answered, "I said I had a master's, not a master's degree."

He didn't win the case.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 08:44:49 AM »

It's amazing that some don't get it--the ads are now taking over the space once used for articles. 

No, they're not.

Couple of months back I counted all the pages used for ads and for articles. What I found was that just under half of the space (48% IIRC) is ads - including ARRL advertising for itself.

This ratio of ads-to-articles isn't any different to what it was before - and I have QSTs going back to the 1920s.

What has changed dramatically is that the articles are all clustered together, and the ads are all clustered together, rather than having an article start in the front and finish in the back, often on a page that is half-ads and half-article.

Other big changes:

- Much more use of color and pictures.
- Much less space devoted to contest scores, station activities, and ham ads
- More columns about special interests. (In the bad old days, there were YL, DX, VHF/UHF, and public-service columns - and that was it.)
- Bigger type with more white space around it (easier to read).

73 de Jim, N2EY

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 09:06:26 AM »

You're comparing apples to oranges, Bob. There is other information in the magazine besides articles and advertizements.
_________

Jim, I've seen the encroachment of ads into the front section of QST.  You're trying to tell me that nothing has changed, but I submit that there are more ads in the front now than there have been in years past.  The ARRL is looking for more money, and the manufacturers are willing to pay more--if their stuff is advertized in the front section--the first few pages--of the magazine.

In any event, gentlemen, you have your beliefs and I have mine.  Lets just leave it at that instead of arguing the costs of pennies.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 09:12:08 AM by K1CJS » Logged
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2012, 10:24:28 AM »

Jim, I've seen the encroachment of ads into the front section of QST.  You're trying to tell me that nothing has changed, but I submit that there are more ads in the front now than there have been in years past.  The ARRL is looking for more money, and the manufacturers are willing to pay more--if their stuff is advertized in the front section--the first few pages--of the magazine.

I'm NOT saying "nothing has changed" - not at all.

What I'm saying is that the overall percentage of ads to articles hasn't changed. That's all.

I am pretty sure that there have always been ads in the first few pages - but I will check.

What has definitely changed is that the articles are now all concentrated in one section, and the ads all concentrated in another. What does it matter if the inside cover and first couple of pages are ads?

In any event, gentlemen, you have your beliefs and I have mine.  Lets just leave it at that instead of arguing the costs of pennies.

It's not about beliefs; it's about facts. Pick a year and month from 1927 onwards, and I'll list the content and distribution of that issue of QST.

----

It must be remembered that, when one is new to something like amateur radio, a mag like QST may seem chock-full of great info - because it's all new to the newcomer. But as time goes on, and one's interests develop, a lot of the content is either old-hat or stuff one is not interested in.

----

I remember when the column about "25/50 Years Ago In QST" was fascinating to me, because I'd never even seen those ancient issues.

Nowadays my interest in that column is different, because I've read all those old issues - many more than once. Pretty soon I will have received the issues in the "50 Years" column when they were new!

73 de Jim, N2EY

KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2012, 12:00:59 PM »

You're comparing apples to oranges, Bob. There is other information in the magazine besides articles and advertizements.

I commend to you something called The First Rule of Holes, to wit: when you're in one, stop digging.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 05:05:06 AM »

I commend to you something called The First Rule of Holes, to wit: when you're in one, stop digging.

Good advice.  You should follow it too.
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2012, 11:34:12 AM »

Good advice.  You should follow it too.

Already do, thanks.  That's why I mentioned it.

I think we're at the point where I put you on "ignore" and move on.  Feel free to do the same with me.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2012, 02:38:15 PM »

I don't own all the Magazines going back to 1927 but I have gotten my Hands on a few from the 1990's and I guess this argument is like the one about Politicians, the famous one that nothing has changed from the Days when Jefferson and John Adams where smearing each other, yet we all know that things have changed!   Maybe in QST the adds use the same square footage but their presence certainly feels a lot more prevalent in the more recent issues.

My real gripe with the ARRL is that they are dated and doing nothing to catch up.  They have some great employee's but they need to reinvest the cash back in the company.  The LOTW is a really good example of this, it's like a web based system from the 1990's, and they really need to update it.  Then the Books they print are all so old and drab that it makes them unappealing.  I could go on and on but let me say that overall the ARRL is a great organization they just need to move into the 21st Century..
N1CX

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2012, 01:18:46 PM »

For sure  Grin Wait I think I saw a new 20 meter yagi on the news last night LOL

ARRL does a great job. They make good $$$ on ads...It's really the only large magazine devoted to ham stuff.

The primary way that I learn about new products is the ads in QST. Not much ham radio related advertising on TV these days  Cheesy

N3DF

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2012, 03:23:33 PM »

I have learned a huge amount from reading QST monthly over the decades.  In addition, I believe it is now far superior to what it was in the 60s-80s.

Neil N3DF
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2012, 05:05:04 PM »

I don't own all the Magazines going back to 1927 but I have gotten my Hands on a few from the 1990's and I guess this argument is like the one about Politicians, the famous one that nothing has changed from the Days when Jefferson and John Adams where smearing each other, yet we all know that things have changed!   Maybe in QST the adds use the same square footage but their presence certainly feels a lot more prevalent in the more recent issues.

My real gripe with the ARRL is that they are dated and doing nothing to catch up.  They have some great employee's but they need to reinvest the cash back in the company.  The LOTW is a really good example of this, it's like a web based system from the 1990's, and they really need to update it.  Then the Books they print are all so old and drab that it makes them unappealing.  I could go on and on but let me say that overall the ARRL is a great organization they just need to move into the 21st Century..

Exactly how would you recommend spicing up a technical text to make it more appealing? I don't think adding 'spicy girls' would do anything for the technical content. How many ways can one describe a circuit that would make it more interesting to youngsters to get them interested in ham radio. They either are or aren't going to be interested .....

No thanks, I'll just take my technical texts plain and simple with good descriptions, schematics and photos/drawings. Years ago we just got schematics and hams knew how to read them and work with them. Not so sure about today.

I see no problem with LOTW the way it is. It is relatively easy to setup outside the tedious wait for a snailmail postcard. It does exactly what it is supposed to do without a lot of overhead. Sure it doesn't have a the whiz-bang of the latest generation of websites but then it isn't supposed to have that to do it's job. As to the need to send out a postcard to enroll, that is probably the only point I would think that might be improved to be fully automatic. Remember, LOTW isn't an online logging program but rather an awards management online application that handles inputs from logging programs. I think sometimes users expect LOTW to be something it isn't or was never designed to be.

Gene W5DQ
ARRL Life member

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: