Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just Thinking  (Read 2023 times)
WB4PPW

Ignore
« on: April 20, 2012, 01:44:13 PM »

Is it just me or do any others feel that perhaps Yaesu's announcement that an
up-date for the 60 meter band for the FT-450AT will be this summer. I find it
strange that it will take so long, and am wondering if it's just a ploy so they
don't catch hell in Dayton. What's the thinking??
Jess
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 05:44:02 PM »

I don't think it strange at all.  I don't think a major manufacturer is out to play games with their customers.

What I do believe is that most people have no appreciation how difficult it is to make engineering changes to equipment in the field, for capabilities that were never planned for.

The naive user thinks "All I have to do is download an file and reboot my radio, and besides, it's just software, and I had a class in school".

There are a hundred considerations they must make, testing to be performed and that isn't considering their existing workload of production and development.

This sort of 'pop-up problem" with derogatory comments from clueless customers are what give engineers and technicians gray hair!

b.
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 06:03:59 AM »

The point being, the change to the 60 freqs was announced how long ago?  Almost a year you say.  "They" are just now starting to think about software changes.  As soon as the final band plan was approved the software engineers should have made the changes and had the updates ready for release just before or SOON after the effective date.
WU0R

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 06:57:45 AM »

Look what they did with the FT-897, then 60 meters in the FT-897D?  I don't see the big excitement with 60 meters, channelized as it is and the channel hogs I have encountered on there...but they did upgrade the 897 to the D version wtih the LPFs set up to accept 60 meters...
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 10:32:48 AM »

The point being, the change to the 60 freqs was announced how long ago?  Almost a year you say.  "They" are just now starting to think about software changes.  As soon as the final band plan was approved the software engineers should have made the changes and had the updates ready for release just before or SOON after the effective date.

How do you know they are just now thinking about this?  I'm sure they are busy with several competing projects underway.  With limited resources, sometimes an organization has to prioritize.  QAA hit the nail on the head. 

There has been much speculation and groaning about this, but in the end Yaesu is taking care of us 450AT owners. 
WU0R

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 01:18:13 PM »

Pretty sure they can do a download software patch for the radio.  It may have a software inhibit keeping folks from using 60 meters as perhaps at the time, it wasn't a for sure band.  Hard to say but the fact they can come out with something after the fact, kinda indicates a firmware change.
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 04:10:10 PM »

How do you know they are just now thinking about this?  

The reply to my e-mail asking if and when software updates for the 60 meter changes would be available.
WB4PPW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 07:22:11 PM »

Just a quick up-date on my post.  I'll give you a quick background on me.  I've been licensed for over 50 years, also hold a first class commercial with radar endorsement.  And have been building and programing computers since the parts to do it were available to us.  Now some background on my question I have owned and operated almost every piece of equipment Yaesu has built, and presently have over $10,000 worth of Yaesu equipment in my shack now, So I'm certainly not a yaesu basher.
I purchased my little FT-450 to replace an aging FT-900 in my Moter Home.  And was disappointed when yaesu told me they were not going to update this radio.  So I wrote them with my displeasure of this decision and did not get a reply,  as I understand many who wrote didn't,  and then just a few weeks from Dayton with top Management coming from Japan out comes a notice that well yes we will release an up date but not until summer.  Well I stated it in my orig. post it could be a ploy,   but I guess a better term might have been a stalling tactic.  At any rate sounds strange to me since there is not that much difference in the 450AT and the 450D that this would entill another 6 or eight months to accomplish. At any rate perhaps I am naive and clueless some of my friends say I getting senile...
However, I'm not going to drink the Cool aide until I see the space ships landing..
Jess
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 12:51:11 AM »

The FT897D (and the FT817ND) can both be made wideband HF transmit, although I believe this is illegal.
This is accomplished by jumper modifications, so I think it would be pretty easy to do this in the factory.
The FT450 is a new design however, so it may be that it is more involved than with the older rigs.

I have to agree with the poster who said that 60m is more trouble than it's worth.
With all the bandspace we already have, and 40m/80m bracketing 60m for propagation, I can't see why anyone would bother with 60m except for award purposes.

Seems to me that we are for the first time being channelized just like CB radio.
If we are not careful, the next step will be channelized HF/VHF/UHF by spectrum hungry governments.

Just a thought.

73s

KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 01:45:28 PM »

There is an agenda item for the next (2015) WRC for a world wide amateur allocation 90 khz wide in the 5.2 mhz vicinity.

The problem with the Yaesu rigs is not if they will transmit on 60m.  The problem is the pre-programmed memory for 60m channel 3 is now wrong.

N0YXB,

The file has been written and stored on a file server somewhere at the company.  How long would it take some young and upcoming software engineer to open the file, change the one frequency stored in memory, save the corrected file, and re-upload it to the server?  10 Minutes on a 286 powered machine maybe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: