Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OLD MFJ-16010 ST Random Wire Tuner anyone have the manual?  (Read 5107 times)
AG6LQ

Ignore
« on: April 20, 2012, 07:12:13 PM »

I moved to a condo.  I have been using one of those MFJ 20 meter Hamstick clones and I am not getting much with it on my metal patio table in the backyard. The table is 9' diameter expanded metal and I had hoped it would provide some sort of counterpoise but the antenna seems pretty dead.  

I have an old (really old) MFJ 16010 ST random wire tuner and I thought I might put up some sort of hidden antenna.  The one I have is really old, it has three knobs.  The current one which you can download the manual for from MFJ is the two knob model which is I guess an L network.  

The one I have is more likely a Pi Network, with a capacitor for the transmitter, capacitor for the antenna and a switched set of inductors in between. Pretty standard I think.  

But none of the docs available anywhere cover this one, only the current two knob model. That seems very odd to me, but this unit likely predates the internet by a while.

I contacted MFJ but the person who responded claims to not have any docs on this one, which I find highly unlikely but that's what they said. I have the instruction sheet from MFJ right now, for the two knob model.  So I don't need that.

I looked on that .dk site, they have the same one on mfj's site.  Not the old one!

So here I am at eham.net, where someone, somewhere has a copy of every old manual in the world (I hope).  

Does anyone have the instruction sheet for the old MFJ-16010 ST with three controls that they can post?  It's probably a one to three page instruction sheet.    

Does anyone know why they changed it?

Thanks in advance.
Steve
KC6TLO

« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 07:04:45 PM by KC6TLO » Logged
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 09:22:40 PM »

Two suggestions:  First, have you contacted MFJ?  Since they made it, they might have something in their archives.

Second, you might open the enclosure and sketch out the circuitry to give yourself some assurance of just what's inside.  Maybe reverse-engineer the thing.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
AG6LQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 09:31:21 PM »

Two suggestions:  First, have you contacted MFJ?  Since they made it, they might have something in their archives.
I mentioned that I had contacted mfj and they don't have it, and I find that highly unlikely.
Second, you might open the enclosure and sketch out the circuitry to give yourself some assurance of just what's inside.  Maybe reverse-engineer the thing.
I am not trying to get a workaround or find another solution. Only to find someone who has and can post the actual document for this unit.  So others can be helped.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 11:03:55 PM »

That's a good idea.  There are three near-universal designs for tuners (except link-coupled tuners, a different breed):

. . . L-network;

. . . pi-network;

. . . T-network.

If the original poster knew what circuitry was inside, he could find tuning instructions for a different tuner with similar design.

"Three knobs" suggests a pi-network or T-network.  MFJ _does_ have instructions posted for the MFJ-901B, a 3-knob T-network tuner.

If there are two variable capacitors, and an inductor (or a set of switched inductors) inside, my suggestion is something like this:

1.. . . Center the capacitor knobs;

2. . . . Turn the inductor knob for maximum signal;

3. . . . Adjust the first capacitor knob for lowest SWR;

4. . . . Adjust the second capacitor knob for lowest SWR;

Repeat (3) and (4) until lowest SWR is obtained.

With low power output from the rig, this is a pretty safe procedure, and very likely to work.

Charles
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 05:22:55 AM »

If there are two variable capacitors, and an inductor (or a set of switched inductors) inside, my suggestion is something like this:

Steve, I've owned several MFJ tuners with three tuning controls (not yours, though) and the steps Charles outlined above are exactly right for all of the ones I've owned.  I understand you'd like the documentation, it's logical to want it-- but I'd bet a nickle that you could follow Charles's instructions above and have it work just fine.  GL!
KB3HG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 09:51:59 AM »

Steve,
I feel your pain. I have one from a silent key. Its been sitting on a shelf for years. 17? Just looked for it it grew legs. Its a long wire tuner, Years ago I did open it up and I want to say its a T type tuner with the 4:1 Balun, If you ever find one I'd like to know. I tried MJF myself years ago and got the same story. The silent key used it but ended up getting a higher wattage tuner. Losses can melt the coil. He melted the coil in the next tuner and ended up with a Murch 2000A  and he had no further meltdowns. This was in the eighties.

Good luck in finding the paper work.

Tom Kb3hg
AG6LQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 02:03:12 PM »

Steve, I've owned several MFJ tuners with three tuning controls (not yours, though) and the steps Charles outlined above are exactly right for all of the ones I've owned.  I understand you'd like the documentation, it's logical to want it-- but I'd bet a nickle that you could follow Charles's instructions above and have it work just fine.  GL!

Of course, there's no reason it wouldn't work.
The tuner works, I am sure of it. 
The tuning procedure outlined is standard and would work, I am sure of that.

My post was not about help with this little tuner. 
It was to find the docs on it and post them for the good of society.

KG6BRG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 05:34:48 AM »

There is an "st" version for sale here on Eham.  Looks to have an original manual with it.  Maybe the owner would make you a copy.  Just a thought.  Cheers.

http://www.eham.net/classifieds/detail/373604
AG6LQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 08:10:22 AM »

There is an "st" version for sale here on Eham.  Looks to have an original manual with it.  Maybe the owner would make you a copy.  Just a thought.  Cheers.

http://www.eham.net/classifieds/detail/373604

Wow. Thanks!
I just emailed him.  If he can send it I will post it so it will be available here forever!
Steve
KC6TLO
AG6LQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 10:43:31 AM »

I just heard back from him, and he pointed out that the old MFJ16010-ST is the same as the current MFJ-901B versatuner and the docs are the same.

I'm not absolutely sure it's the same but it's sure close enough.

They suggest connecting a 50 ohm dummy load and tuning the transmitter, then connecting an antenna and tuning that. 

Kind of a PITA.  Heh.

WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 10:48:14 AM »

I think this means to connect a dummy load to the transmitter and tuning the transmitter
into the 50 ohm dummy load.

Then switch to the antenna through the tuner and adjust the tuner for lowest SWR.

This assumes that you are using a tube-type rig where you had to tune the transmitter
for each band.  With a solid state rig you just switch to the band you want to use,
adjust the tuner for minimum SWR, and start making contacts.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 06:21:17 PM »

If it's a clone of the 901B, _do not_ tune into a dummy load first!  It'll be a waste of time, and may mis-set the tuner's initial conditions.

My instructions (previously posted) will work fine for that tuner.

Charles
AG6LQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 06:36:46 PM »

I think this means to connect a dummy load to the transmitter and tuning the transmitter
into the 50 ohm dummy load.

Then switch to the antenna through the tuner and adjust the tuner for lowest SWR.

This assumes that you are using a tube-type rig where you had to tune the transmitter
for each band.  With a solid state rig you just switch to the band you want to use,
adjust the tuner for minimum SWR, and start making contacts.

Yeah, I would think most of that would be just unnecessary anymore.
VK3ZIE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 11:26:13 PM »

I have just re-asked MFJ for a manual (by email), having just purchased the ST version without a manual.   I bet the 16010 really means 160-10 metres, but I have asked them to confirm this, plus answer why the piece of hardware sitting in front of me with all their name and factory address has not got their customer support.
NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 12:49:17 AM »

I have just re-asked MFJ for a manual (by email), having just purchased the ST version without a manual.   I bet the 16010 really means 160-10 metres, but I have asked them to confirm this, plus answer why the piece of hardware sitting in front of me with all their name and factory address has not got their customer support.

Go to www.mfjenterprises.com

Look up MFJ-16010

Click on link that says MFJ-16010 Downloads

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: