Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommend a HT APRS  (Read 5061 times)
KD2BDZ

Ignore
« on: April 21, 2012, 02:43:07 AM »

Here's my wish list,
I am currently a Tech studying for general and would like to get into an APRS HT to replace my Yaesu VX-3
Multi band (i expect to be a General soon)
Compact size
Ease of use
ECHO Link compatible
Apple / Mac Friendly
Cost < $500.00 US
Your Thoughts?
KB5JOF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 07:37:22 AM »

Kenwood may have what you want.  I do not remember the model no but it ends in 97A I think.  The Yaesu VX-8GR would be by pick. Cost is less than $400.00. I don't know about the Echo Link though. Only Kenwood list it as a feature.  Cost of the Kenwood is up close to the $500.00 you mentioned.   Personally I think using the internet to make contacts is cheating.  I own the VX-8GR and really like it.

Good Luck.
KD5TXX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 07:38:01 PM »

I have a Kenwood THd72A and love it.  Battery could last longer....but we all say that.  Very easy to use and will pick up a signal anywhere.  I really like the USB port and the fact that the software is free.  I have a VX7R which is great ...but for APRS the Kenwood is what I like best.
KSAVES2

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 05:56:37 AM »

What do you want to do?  If you want to be able to access the TNC through a laptop to run APRS software besides full APRS capability from the rig,  you have two choices.  A used Kenwood D7A(g) or a D72A period.  If you just want to have APRS capability from the H/T only, a Yaesu VX-8GR is what you want to get.  You can get  $GPWPL words out of a GR which will give you a source to see stations on a map with a handheld external mapping GPS or a laptop but the full capabilities of Xastir, UI-View and APRSIS-32 will not be realized.  The Yaesu VX-8DR is a totally useless APRS device UNLESS one doesn't mind having the GPS hanging off the top of the rig OR one absolutely, positively has to have the bluetooth headset capability.  A DR with the trimmings cost more than a D72A.  The programming software will cost you too.   The 72 has user upgradeable firmware and the programming software is free.    Only option one really needs to initially consider is the fast desk charger.  If one is going to be outdoors and really banging the H/T around, the GR is more armored to take the knocks and fits a smaller hand better.  Sooooooooooo, it depends what you want.  The 72 nearly does all and then some whereas the GR can take knocks better but all APRS capability is confined to the rig.
                                                                Kurt KC9LDH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: