Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Preamp Advise 6M  (Read 4437 times)
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 12:08:44 PM »

A killerwatt on 6 helps with extended groundwave  which  may mean the difference in a 6 meter contest when the band is otherwise closed, but when the band is wide open?Huh just  a bad neighbor, especially some of  the halfbleep low band amp conversions I have heard (everywhere). 
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 02:51:42 PM »

Most hams have poor antennas, lossey feed lines and live in high noise environments. Your noise level is set by the antenna and the feed line loss. Even running a preamp at the antenna will not make up for the transmitter loss going out to the antenna. Always run the best coax you can afford.

If I call CQ on six with a 100 watts I will almost always get a return call. I run a 7 element SteppIR at 105 feet in Colorado and feed the antenna with 200 feet of 7/8 Andrews LDF5-50A. My noise level with both preamps on is about zero on the IC-7600.

If I call with 1500 watts I will get ten calls. Every time I ask if the heard the previously CQ they say no. Turn off the amplifier and I disappear into their noise level.

I know the typical narrative is six is a band where you don’t need power. But most hams don’t have beams, towers to get the antenna out of the noise and run lossey coax. Many of time I have called CQ on a dead band with power and get the reply, “I did not know the band was open”.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 02:53:32 PM by K6AER » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: