The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DM 780 randomly turns radio to TX  (Read 1598 times)
N1RVN

Ignore
« on: December 06, 2016, 10:52:30 AM »

Howdy from Atlanta,

I am using HRD 5.24 (last free version) with a Yaesu FT-990 and Signalink USB. Radio control is via CAT. Computer running Windows 7 Ultimate.

Radio is stable in RX mode until I start DM780 on the computer. Once started, it keys up the radio at random intervals that could range from a few seconds to a couple of minutes. This is happening in PSK mode, radio set to packet.

Any idea what might cause this? It worked fine for a month or so, I made several contacts, and I can still make contacts now, but with annoying interruptions.

Thanks,
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 10:59:30 AM by N1RVN » Logged

N1RVN
Ervin in Atlanta
N1RVN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 11:00:17 AM »

The interruptions last a few seconds, then radio automatically returns to RX.

N1RVN
Ervin in Atlanta
K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 02:01:48 PM »

I use the same version of HRD with my IC-735, but on a Windows 10 laptop and my interface is home brew. I use one USB/RS-232 port for Rig Control (CI-V) and another to handle PTT and CW keying. The audio, of course, is routed between the IC-735 and the computer.

When I start up HRD everything is plugged in and the radio is on. For a brief interval at startup, I receive the same interruptions that you describe. HDR use to do that on my XP and Windows 7 systems. I believe, at that time, it is just the driver that handles PTT/CW Keying initializing. However, I don't know whether it is a CI-V command setting transmit, or the PTT being activated. In my case it is always the same, two close spaced dashed, a space, and two more close spaced dashes. Like "MM" in CW, but very slow.

But I don't recall it ever interrupting me any other time. Have you checked your power control options? The power control options can put a USB port to sleep, if it senses that it isn't being used. It sounds like your system is putting the port to sleep and then trying to initialize it again. I don't remember where those settings are on a Windows 7 machine any more. That may eliminate the random interruptions, but the initialization keying should still happen.

Martin - K7MEM
http://www.k7mem.com
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 08:27:21 PM »

...it keys up the radio at random intervals that could range from a few seconds to a couple of minutes.

Any idea what might cause this?

Thanks,

Could DM780 possibly be picking up audio coming from the computer (like when you get mail) and that is what is keying the radio?
K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 05:34:19 AM »

Could DM780 possibly be picking up audio coming from the computer (like when you get mail) and that is what is keying the radio?

Yea, I forgot about that one. There is a option in DM780, under "Sounds", that lets DM780 to generate sounds for certain operations, like adding something to the log. These could possibly key your transmitter. Personally, I never let my computers make noises, unless I am connected to my radio.

Martin - K7MEM
http://www.k7mem.com
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 06:00:48 AM »

Yes, Prolly the nefarious 'windows sounds'. Those tones are going out over the air too. I turn off all windows sounds, I find them annoying at best. You can turn them all off in control panel under 'sounds', I think it's at the top of the list and is referenced as 'none'.
N1RVN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 08:25:46 AM »

I think you guys nailed it - thank you!

I don't have an email program on that computer, but I did have my web browser (Chrome) open, also the web browser in DM780 (I believe it's Windows Internet Explorer based) was open at times... and I don't remember what websites might have been open, and what sounds those web sites might have produced... the problem did go away after a reboot (did not open a browser).

I'm not in my shack now, but I remember the SignaLink USB has a couple of 3.5 mm jacks on the back... and one of those is for monitoring audio. So "listening in" should give away any sounds generated by the computer that might trigger TX. Will have a listen and report back.

Thanks!

N1RVN
Ervin in Atlanta
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: